walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bishop Hill

Bishop Hill

Postby Gordie12 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:29 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Bishop Hill

Date walked: 19/12/2014

Time taken: 1.5 hours

Distance: 5 km

Ascent: 495m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

As usual the hardest part of the walk was finding the correct parking place.

The low sun was straight in my eyes as I headed for Kinnesswood, and headed past it as far as Scotlandwell where I saw the church car park and the alternative track I could have used. The traffic calming bollards in the middle of the road are probably a really good idea but in low light with the sun in your eyes they are a b***** to see :shock: :shock:

A quick turn around at Scotlandwell and with the sun at my back I was able to see the sign in Kinnesswood for the school and so find the car park.

I left the car park and headed straight up the road. At the high point of the road it turns sharply left and there is a gate over on the right hand side which gives access to the hill (or at least it does if you see it, otherwise like me you take the left corner and wander down the road like a plonk before realising your mistake).

Once through the gate I could see a transmitter mast 100 yards further up the hill. The path heads to the right hand side of the fence then follows it round the back before going through a gate and climbing some steps. At this point there is a track heading to the right which I think heads for Munduff Hill.

My route is straight up the hill heading towards the obvious crags. The climb is steep but there are giant's footprints all the way up the grassy slope which makes for good grip even in the frozen conditions (may not be the case on the way down).

9.jpg
Giant's footprints

10.jpg
Looking down on Kinnesswood with Loch Leven in the background

11.jpg
Crags in the distance

12.jpg
Approaching the crags

Once past the crags there is a grassy track which climbs on a much easier gradient before reaching a broad top. In the distance I can see the summit of Bishop Hill, I followed the grassy track along the edge of the crags before deciding to wander off to the right through the long grass. In the distance I could see a track which seemed to link Munduff and Bishop Hill so just headed over to it.

13.jpg
Bishop Hill in the distance

After going through a gate the track carried on towards Bishop Hill before reaching a style which was easy to cross but had barbed wire at the top of the fence. Once over this it was a short easy climb to the top.

14.jpg
West Lomond disappearing in a snow shower

15.jpg
Bishop Hill summit

16.jpg
Again

Things were a lot calmer on this summit than on East Lomond earlier so spent a few minutes at the top before another snow shower arrived so time to get moving again.

I headed back on the same track but this time headed over to Munduff Hill to see what the views were like.

17.jpg

18.jpg
The views were great

19.jpg
Lone dog walker on the mound in front of me

All that was left now was a wander along the tops to get back to the track that would take me back down to Kinnesswood.

20.jpg
Kinnesswood below the crags

21.jpg
Snow covered hills in the distance - Ben Vorlich and Stuc???

I was congratulating myself on staying on my feet all day on the frozen ground when on the steep descent I went flying with a nice soft landing so no damage done.

22.jpg
The gate I missed on the way up

Have to say I really enjoyed this hill - thanks for the route Rod :clap: :clap: :clap:
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Re: Bishop Hill

Postby Fife Flyer » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:16 pm

Another good one Gordie, you did well to get 2 hills in today, it was cold and windy in SW Fife so it must have been very blowy on high :lol:
Interesting route you took, will maybe try that one out in the very near future :wink:

Love the photo of the giant footprints :clap:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby nigheandonn » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:18 pm

How do the giant's footprints get there??

That looks like a nice walk for the winter.
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby litljortindan » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:49 pm

Looks a great walk, especially Bishop Hill and always useful to read comments on how to avoid going the wrong way.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby Gordie12 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:45 pm

Fife Flyer wrote:Another good one Gordie, you did well to get 2 hills in today, it was cold and windy in SW Fife so it must have been very blowy on high :lol:
Interesting route you took, will maybe try that one out in the very near future :wink:

Love the photo of the giant footprints :clap:

Thanks FF - I'm working my way through my remaining Fife Sub 2000's. I noticed your report and that you went from the church car park a couple of miles along the road, this would be a good alternative for you to try - really enjoyed it, felt like being in the Ochils.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby Gordie12 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:48 pm

nigheandonn wrote:How do the giant's footprints get there??

That looks like a nice walk for the winter.

Hi nigheandonn - no idea, just assumed a giant put them there.

Would agree that it's a good winter hill (certainly for me when it was a bit of a wild day to be heading off to do higher hills) and if you do it on a good clear crisp days the views are really worth the effort.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby Gordie12 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:50 pm

litljortindan wrote:Looks a great walk, especially Bishop Hill and always useful to read comments on how to avoid going the wrong way.

Hi ltljortindan - Bishop Hill was really enjoyable.]]

If you ever need to know how to go wrong (whether it be finding the correct place to park or on the walk itself) just follow my reports, I seem to be really good at it.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby The Rodmiester » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:44 pm

Hi Gordie, glad you liked it :D Did you notice The Rodmiester had left his mark on one of your photographs, the one that said Bishop Hill in the distance :lol: :lol: :lol: Some nice photographs there and I see your catching me up on the Sub2000ers, I'd better get a move on next year. This hill is ideal for this time of year.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Gordie12 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:26 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:Hi Gordie, glad you liked it :D Did you notice The Rodmiester had left his mark on one of your photographs, the one that said Bishop Hill in the distance :lol: :lol: :lol: Some nice photographs there and I see your catching me up on the Sub2000ers, I'd better get a move on next year. This hill is ideal for this time of year.

Hi Rod - wondered what you were talking about but I see it now :lol: :lol:

A few more weekends like this one with strong winds and I might just get closer to you on the Sub 2000's (unless of course you start racking up 3 a day like last year).
Gordie12
Wanderer

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland