walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A different route for Ettrick 3

A different route for Ettrick 3

Postby ExpatEddie » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:15 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Andrewhinney Hill

Donalds included on this walk: Andrewhinney Hill, Bell Craig, Herman Law

Date walked: 29/10/2014

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 670m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My walk on these 3 Donalds was not worthy of a full step by step report but my route is different from those reported before so I submit it for consideration if doing these hills. I had seen the start location on the A708 and the ascent from there and, to be honest, didn’t fancy it. So I looked at the other side.

Down the road from Ettrick heading towards the Over Phawhope bothy (which you can’t drive to - of course) there is a hard standing on the left before Crook Cottage at NT 219124.

From here go back along the road across the bridge and enter the field on the left. Work through the field and the sheep sorting pens to the base of Brockhope Rig around NT 219127. To try and turn this into a sort of circular route I headed off the Rig soon as I could by heading for Trowgrain Middle. From there it is a ‘there and back’ to Herman Law. After passing Trowgrain Middle (again) the walk to the next Donald , Andrewhinnney Hill, is straightforward but after that I descended to get a clear photo of the Grey Mare’s Tail. Then I contoured along Mirk Side to follow the boundary fence line but when it veered left kept going straight following a quad bike track and then turn up to Bell Craig.

The return followed the fence but on the east side and when I started to ascend Andrewhinney Hill I contoured round to the shoulder which is Mid Hill. The descent requires some visual planning as there are a number of fences approaching the bottom but there are gates which will allow the route to come out at the car park.

Track_2014-10-29 131512.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Parking & start.jpg
Parking and start

Sheep Pens.jpg
Sheep Pens

Ascending Brockhope Rig.jpg
Ascending Brockhope Rig

Herman Law.jpg
Herman Law

Mid Rig.jpg
Mid Rig

Andrewhinney Hill.jpg
Andrewhinney Hill

Gray Mares Tail Panorama.jpg
Grey Mare's Tail with White Coomb (left) and Lochcraig Head above the loch (Skeen)

Bell Craig.jpg
Bell Craig

Descent on Mid Hill.jpg
Descent on Mid Hill
ExpatEddie
Mountaineer

Munros:72   Corbetts:12
Fionas:23   Donalds:89+47
Sub 2000:26   

Re: A different route for Ettrick 3

Postby rdtoward21 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:10 pm

Having done this route from main road, interesting way up from the other side!!
rdtoward21
Mountaineer

Munros:24   Corbetts:7
Fionas:8   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:15   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland