walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Question: Can you walk portions of the Isle of Skye Trail?

Question: Can you walk portions of the Isle of Skye Trail?

Postby americanwanderer » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:10 pm

My friend and I are experienced backpackers and are looking to do some backpacking in Scotland in June/July. We only have about 4 or 5 days for a trek, and are very interested in the Isle Of Skye, which is a 7 day trip in it's entirety. I am wondering if anyone with more experience in the area can share with me if there is a good way to shorten the Isle Of Skye trail to do part of it in 4 or 5 days, or if anyone has any advice for us!
Thanks very much!
americanwanderer
Scrambler

Re: Question: Can you walk portions of the Isle of Skye Trai

Postby murwilson » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:55 pm

Yes, quite easily. The route can be adjusted and the sections\shortened or lengthened fairly easy. There's a decent book, The Skye Trail by Cameron McNeish and Harvey do a Skye Trail Map that shows you the route, with alternatives.

It can be walked in 5 days without too much effort tbh. Getting the Trotternish Ridge complete in two days will give you lots of flexibility as it's the most restrictive section in that there are limited escape options when you're up there.

Logistics will come into play as it's not the easiest place in Scotland to get to by train\bus, especially if you need a days travelling either end from either Glasgow or Edinburgh. If you have a hire car, I would park it in the free car park beside the Coop store in Broadford and take the bus to Portree, then another bus to the North end of the Island, Rubha Hunish and take 5 days to walk back to the car.

Watch the midges in June\July, they can be troublesome!

Have a great walk, it's one of Scotlands best.

Mur
murwilson

Postby kaiserstein » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:50 pm

For 4/5 day trip I would definitely recommend including the stages 1, 2 & 5 as described on walk highlands. These include my favourite parts - rubha hunish; trotternish ridge and quirang; Glen sligahan. A night out in portree is also recommended. There are buses going round the island and walk highlands route descriptions has some info and traveline Scotland website is also good for bus times & timetables
kaiserstein
Mountain Walker

Munros:65   Corbetts:222
Fionas:30   Donalds:31
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:5   Islands:9

Postby headless spectre » Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:24 am

In summer Portree can be very busy so its is best to book accommodation in advance even the hostel and the campsite can be full.
Skye is unmissable and Portree is a busy pleasent town.
headless spectre
Hill Bagger

Munros:12   Corbetts:1
Fionas:4   

Postby starrynights » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:39 pm

Agree with all the above, but can't emphasise enough how high midge levels can be during those months. The Quiraing and Trotternish takes a couple of days and is my favourite bit. I've done this in early spring and late autumn. Personally couldn't handle the midge in summer.
Midge net, hat and repellant is a must! Or go in the spring! Enjoy, it's stunning.
starrynights
Munro compleatist

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion