walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Poncho recommendations

Poncho recommendations

Postby Foxy » Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:30 pm

Am considering buying a poncho for next year's hillwalking season and the West Highland Way.

Recommendations?

Regards
Foxy
Mountain Walker

Re: Poncho recommendations

Postby Caberfeidh » Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:45 pm

Foxy wrote:Am considering buying a poncho for next year's hillwalking season and the West Highland Way.

Recommendations?

Regards

Yeh ~ DON'T GET A PONCHO ! :lol:
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby sonic » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:48 am

Caberfeidh wrote:
Foxy wrote:Am considering buying a poncho for next year's hillwalking season and the West Highland Way.

Recommendations?

Regards

Caberfeidh that actually made me laugh out loud. :clap:
I didn't think you would still be able to buy a poncho tbh
sonic
Mountaineer

Munros:16   Corbetts:2

Postby Arthurs Eat » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:25 am

In a different life I and several thousand others were issued with ponchos. They were good bits of kit with loads of uses like basha (tarps the word mostly used these days), floatations bundle, improvised stretcher, blackboard. The last thing they were ever used as was as a poncho! :lol:
Arthurs Eat
Munro compleatist

Munros:234   Corbetts:29
Fionas:17   Donalds:38
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:35
Wainwrights:32   Islands:16

Postby Silverhill » Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:09 pm

:oops: A confession: at the (very) beginning of my walking career I bought a poncho. Main reasons were: I didn’t have much money, it would also cover my big backpack, provide enough ventilation to not get sweaty, and combined with gaiters keep my legs dry. :oops: This is what I hoped.
Well, I only used it for one holiday. I got terribly wet as the wind made the whole thing flap madly. I also couldn’t see where I was putting my feet. Not good on uneven terrain.
The waterproof jacket-trousers-pack cover combo is much better! :D (Other systems are available)
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby Challum » Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:19 pm

A friend bought one in Austria about five years ago. He used it once for the reasons mentioned previously - useless in wind and inability to see where feet were being placed. Cheap, but useless!
Challum

Postby StevenF » Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:35 pm

It's a great peace of gear, but only suitable when it's really warm and you are walking on a good path. I carried one the first time in scotland --> not optimal :-)
StevenF
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:74
Wainwrights:77   

Postby starrynights » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:39 am

I had one at some point to use for wet warm weather while walking my dogs. Military style, breathable, strong and practical as leaves hands free..... Yeah right. Felt like a portable sauna. Such a nightmare if the wind picked up - completely useless. Went back to using a light weight jacket (Paramo). Can vouch for the strength though - I've made stuff sacks with it.
starrynights
Munro compleatist

Postby Sgurr » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:09 pm

Poncho? No, no. no. no. no.

Went to England to climb Cross Fell...for some reason (probably we only ever used to go to England to visit relatives) I forgot my jacket and trousers, so bought a cheap replacement kit in the Gretna services. Apart from making me look a total wally, the poncho was a disaster. Luckily husband had bought a spare jacket, and although it almost reached to my knees and the sleeves were about ten inches too long, it was vastly preferable to what you are about to see. If you must buy a poncho, don't get a plastic one.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Foxy » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:13 am

Have now binned this idea :clap:
Foxy
Mountain Walker

Postby Caberfeidh » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:51 am

Foxy wrote:Have now binned this idea :clap:

Doesn't this show the value of this forum as a research resource? We saved you money and a terrible experience! Don't buy one of these either; waterproof yes, breathable? Not a chance. I was soaked with condensation after a few minutes walking; http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=42812
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Krystalized » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:37 am

Caberfeidh wrote:
Foxy wrote:Have now binned this idea :clap:

Doesn't this show the value of this forum as a research resource? We saved you money and a terrible experience! Don't buy one of these either; waterproof yes, breathable? Not a chance. I was soaked with condensation after a few minutes walking; http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=42812

Hello. I know this thread is old but I couldn't find a better place to ask. I'm planning some hillwalking with my friend soon and he strongly advised me to get a rain poncho, but not the one from the thinnest polyester. I'm reading those backpacking poncho reviews and can't decide between something light as Frogg Trogg or thick Anyoo. Or should I look more? What should I do? Thanks.
Krystalized
Hill Bagger

Postby Caberfeidh » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:46 am

Krystalized wrote:Hello. I know this thread is old but I couldn't find a better place to ask. I'm planning some hillwalking with my friend soon and he strongly advised me to get a rain poncho, but not the one from the thinnest polyester. I'm reading those backpacking poncho reviews and can't decide between something light as Frogg Trogg or thick Anyoo. Or should I look more? What should I do? Thanks.

Caberfeidh wrote:
Recommendations?
Regards

Which word don't you understand?
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby WalkWithWallace » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:15 am

Don't dismiss ponchos, plenty folk abroad use them on long distance hikes. Perhaps not as suited her in the UK with the wind, but worth looking into, just not the cheap tourist tat ponchos.

WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:195
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby Sgurr » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:51 pm

When we did the Milford Trail in N-Z where the rain really POURS down on a bad day, they insisted none of us wear the rain-proof jackets that we had brought, and could easily have supplied ponchos if they thought they were any good (cheaper anyway), but instead provided oilskin jackets. We sweltered inside them, but none of the damp from outside penetrated. I know I have only experienced "tourist tat" ponchos, but I think if they were preferable to jackets, the NZ guys would supply them

Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk