walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

2 boot walks in april 2015

2 boot walks in april 2015

Postby Jimmy Young » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:38 am

Hi All
i am coming to Scotland to do some walking in April 2015 and i am looking for any suggestions probably some day walks or a couple of nights out.

there is so much information to absorb on possible walks its hard to know were to start.

i was looking at corrour and maybe strath ossian but really it would be good to hear some comments

i did the west highland way about 4 yrs ago loved it just did the 6 foot track in Sydney Australia jenolan caves to blue mountains which was harder but great

i am not a seasoned walker but lobe the highlands of Scotland
i am from Glasgow living in Australia and travel back home every year
any comments would be appreciated
jimmy,
Jimmy Young
Mountaineer

Re: 2 boot walks in april 2015

Postby PeatDownMan » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:41 pm

Hi Jimmy,
I’ve not done the WHW, but in good weather Walkhighlands 3 boot Munros, and some 4 boot, should be within your capabilities, if that’s what you’re after.
If you were coming in summer, I would go for the Lairig Ghru (alas still on the to-do list) and/or Jock’s Road (17 miles from A93 just South of Braemar to Gen Doll [Gen Clova] – or vice versa). At the South end, Mayar and Driesh are a brilliant walk. (NB We did Jock’s Road as 2 parties, one from either end, and swapped car keys half way). Also, the Glen Lyon horseshoe (Carn Gorm, etc) is a long day but straightforward and well worth doing.

However, April weather means you want a range of alternatives so as to find something appropriate whatever the conditions. From Glasgow there are dozens of straightforward hills within a day trip by car, and many by public transport. My Munros are all 3 and 4 boot hills and they were long rather than difficult - so it depends on how early you start – and whether there is snow (and the usual warnings about the weather really are deadly serious).
Ben Lomond is straightforward, with grand views.
The walk up to the Cobbler is easy (and the midges won’t be a problem in April) - and you don’t need to go near the scary bits – and Bem Ime and/or Ben Narnain are probably straightforward for a longer day.
At lower levels, in the Campsies, Dumgoyne is a lovely wee hill, and you can go as far as you want along the plateau.
In the Trossachs, Ben A’an is an even more lovely wee hill, with a short steep climb and a fabulous view. The Glen Finglas circuit is a nice walk, too. Ben Venue is good from either side (ideally 2 cars and do both); ditto Ben Vrackie by Pitlochry (Moulin / Killiecrankie).
In Glen Coe, Buchaille Etive Beg (both Munros).
Ben More and Stob Binnein;
Ben Ghlas and Ben Lawers; Meall nan Tarmachan (although beyond it, some of the ridge is a bit more tricky);
Schiehallion.
At Glenshee, Glas Tulaichean is the nicest walk I’ve done, but several of the ski centre hills are easy, and An Socach was also a good walk (apart from the thunderstorm).
And if you fancy Corrour at lower levels, then the walk back to Rannoch Station is good too.
And then there’s always the Pentlands …
All fond memories … I hope you have a good trip!
PeatDownMan
Mountaineer

Munros:51   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:12   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion