walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Why am i so cold now?

Why am i so cold now?

Postby doggy » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:07 pm

Well not now but last night.

I done a munro yesterday and I was pretty warm the whole time except when I stopped occasionally to fit crampon etc. I then drove home for and hour and a half with the heaters on, then jumped into a bath after my dinner and a beer. In the bath I started to shiver and I was absolutely frozen, It was almost like the feeling you get when you've got sun stroke. Another weird thing although I was dry when I got home my regatta soft shell trousers were wet on the inside, really clammy, I found that a bit odd.

Any ideas?
doggy

Munros:96   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Why am i so cold now?

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:11 pm

doggy wrote:Well not now but last night.

I done a munro yesterday and I was pretty warm the whole time except when I stopped occasionally to fit crampon etc. I then drove home for and hour and a half with the heaters on, then jumped into a bath after my dinner and a beer. In the bath I started to shiver and I was absolutely frozen, It was almost like the feeling you get when you've got sun stroke. Another weird thing although I was dry when I got home my regatta soft shell trousers were wet on the inside, really clammy, I found that a bit odd.

Any ideas?

1. You should have filled the bath with hot water.
2. You need breathable trousers.
3.You have flu/Ebola.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby doggy » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:30 pm

Ha ha the bath wasn't the warmest, I thought the trousers performed ok on the hill, I suppose they might have been damp from the car journey. And I feel great today so I'm all clear regards to ebola.

So what trousers are good for hill walking in really cold dry conditions?

Another thing, even though I was wearing sock liners and 2 season socks my feet were soaking in sweat, I suppose that's the goretex.
doggy

Postby Gythral » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:38 pm

Any ideas?

Worth reading this http://www.outsideonline.com/fitness/bo ... g-Out.html and/or http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/sci ... n-shivers/
but why it didn't really start until some time later is a bit strange, I usually notice it about 20-30 mins after stopping.

Did you change out of the gear you were walking in before driving, as once you stop the sweat in your clothes will get cold & I dont care what anything claims about being breathable, if you sweat enough some of it stays in the clothes, just some things are better than others at transfer! And what does remain is usually not noticed until it cools...

As for the feet, yes probably the gore-tex, some suggest using antiperspirant gel on the feet to get around this, but I'm not yet convinced as I have 1 pair or Alpine/Winter boots that no matter what my feet get cold in...
Gythral

Munros:19   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:18 pm

doggy wrote:So what trousers are good for hill walking in really cold dry conditions?

I prefer a pair of long-johns (nylon, not cotton) under a pair of track-suit trousers, nice thick ones if it is very chilly. If it is windy too then a pair of wind-resistant outer shell trousers. Those trousers made specially for snow-boarders and skiers tend to be too restrictive for walking, get damp from condensation when sweaty and cost a fortune. You could try Goretex dungarees but again they cost a mint and are a bit restrictive.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby doggy » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:10 pm

Gythral wrote:

Any ideas?

Worth reading this http://www.outsideonline.com/fitness/bo ... g-Out.html and/or http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/sci ... n-shivers/
but why it didn't really start until some time later is a bit strange, I usually notice it about 20-30 mins after stopping.

Did you change out of the gear you were walking in before driving, as once you stop the sweat in your clothes will get cold & I dont care what anything claims about being breathable, if you sweat enough some of it stays in the clothes, just some things are better than others at transfer! And what does remain is usually not noticed until it cools...

As for the feet, yes probably the gore-tex, some suggest using antiperspirant gel on the feet to get around this, but I'm not yet convinced as I have 1 pair or Alpine/Winter boots that no matter what my feet get cold in...

The links didnt work?
doggy

Postby Gythral » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:43 pm

opps...
trying to work out why they worked in the preview but not in the post....

http://www.outsideonline.com/fitness/bodywork/fitness-coach/Why-Do-I-Get-Cold-After-Working-Out.html

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/scicurious-brain/2012/03/28/running-and-thermoregulation-the-post-run-shivers/

try these ... (I really hate context management system long urls) :(
Gythral

Munros:19   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:1   

Postby doggy » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:23 pm

interesting.
the bit about the hypothalamus caught my eye, ive recently been diagnosed with cluster headaches and they are connected to it. Ive basically had a sore head for the last 8 weeks with the odd day with no headache. funnily my head wasnt too sore yesterday when walking.
doggy

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion