walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Blencathra

Blencathra

Postby Guinessman » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:06 pm

Date walked: 28/12/2014

Time taken: 5.3

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

been a member on here for 5 years, have posted but never actually posted a trip report, due to lack of computer skills , so here goes....
Parked up opposite the PH at Mungrisdale ( £2 honesty box) at around 9AM 29/12/2014. Only one other car present ,however the PH car park was full. Been waiting for a decent day to try out new boots as my old Scarpa SL M3 have got to the point of being dangerously worn on the soles. The weather didn't seem great at first as I made my way up the valley to the left of Bannerdale crags

However the MWIS forecast was for clear skies, excellent visibility and temperatures around -2/3 on the tops. I,d been the other ways before so decided to a route in reverse continuing along the river valley and up the steps up to Scales Tarn. On the way up the cloud started to break and Sharp edge made an appearance.

From Scales Tarn the path continues up to the shoulder of Hallsfell top

the ground is steep here, the mist given it a steeper appearance

The path continues on to the summit and then across the saddle to Knowe crags.

I backtracked back to the main top and then dropped back over to tarn crags and foule crag passing the top of Sharp Edge on the way

To make a walk of it I continued onto Bowscale fell and the dropped down to Bowscale tarn and into the valley towards Bowscale village and then back along the road to Mungrisdale

Guinessman
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:52
Fionas:27   Donalds:89
Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:15

Re: Blencathra

Postby cianapleyn » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:14 pm

Nice pics. I led a group of 8 up Hall's Fell Ridge and Sharp Edge from Threkeld on the 29th. Great day out.
cianapleyn
Munro compleatist

Postby 37lumleyst » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:00 am

Its years since I've been up Blencathra. I enjoyed those photos and its certainly prompted me to re-visit this fantastic fell
37lumleyst

Munros:6   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:49
Wainwrights:56   

Postby Guinessman » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:02 am

Thanks for that. It certainly is a fantastic fell and just about right for the shorter winter day. Given the clarity on that day and having the time to look around its given me ideas for a two day trip around the northern fells.
Guinessman
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:52
Fionas:27   Donalds:89
Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:15

Postby made in Scotland » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:10 pm

It was a lovely day for it. I headed up Skiddaw on the same day and had some great views in between the mist swirling in and quite a strong breeze at the very top. Skiddaw was busy - looks like Blencathra was much quieter and you have some great pictures there.
made in Scotland
Mountaineer

Munros:1   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:80
Wainwrights:140   

Re: Blencathra - well done you

Postby trailmasher » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:07 pm

Well done you with the computer skills. Great pictures and good report. Blencathra is my favourite mountain and have walked it many times. :clap:
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland