walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cowboys Saddle up for Goatfell

Cowboys Saddle up for Goatfell

Postby Bubba Ribeye » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:28 pm

Date walked: 02/01/2015

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Good Friday did happen to be one of THE good days weather wise in 2014.

So I grabbed my sack and headed on down by train to meet a good friend Andy at Adrossan Harbour to head over to Arran my favourite place in Scotland for a walk up Goatfell.

I hadn't been over to this fantanstic island for at least 15 years, much to my regret, Life n' that. So when Andy reckoned he was going to do some walking over there at the Easter weekend I jumped at the chance to revisit Scotland in Miniature.

1sticksholy.jpg

We boarded the ferry and enjoyed the sail across to Brodick in fine weather.

One of those days your glad you rolled out of bed. :lol:

We arrived at Brodick and stepped straight on to one of the buses waiting to take us to Brodick Castle and the start of the trail.

2goatfellholyisle.jpg

We set off up the trail in warm sunshine heading for the summit of Goatfell on a clear day with fantastic views over the Firth of Clyde.

3bubshadesholyisle.jpg

We took our time going up the hill, no rush!

4andyholyisle.jpg

The views to Holy Isle were amazing on such a clear day.

5andygoatslopesuppee.jpg

6andygoatupaction.jpg

7bubbagoatholyisle.jpg

8bubgoatslopes.jpg

We reached the summit in good time and with the weather being so good we were able to hang around at the top take 'selfies' and enjoy a well earned lunch.

9andysummiteagle.jpg

10andythumbssummit.jpg

Andy pointed out that you can see as far as the Paps of Jura on a day such as it was.

11andygoatfellsummitpointjura.jpg

12bubbasummitdizzydance.jpg

13andyeaglegoatfell.jpg

14andythumbsuparranmountains.jpg

Bubba entertains the captive audience at the summit. :lol:

15bubarranmountainsdizzy.jpg

16bubhatthumbswitchesstep.jpg

17bubglenrosathumscowboy.jpg

Coming off the back of Goat Fell you are rewarded with spectacular views of the Arran mountains inner horse shoe of peaks, ridges and glens like Glen Rosa and Glen Sannox split by The Saddle.

18bubbaglenrosathoughts.jpg

One small step for man. one huge leap for Bubba :crazy:

19excbubbagoatstepoff.jpg

The Saddle is a spectacular ridge which drops off the back of Goat Fell with amazing views.

20saddle.jpg

We decided since it was such a nice day we would just go for it and Andy led the way.

21andygoatfellsummittrackoff.jpg

22andysaddle3.jpg

23andysaddle2.jpg

24andysaddle1.jpg

Eventually we dropped down into Glen Rosa for the long march down the glen in time to grab a fish supper and the catch the ferry back to Glasgow.

An excellent day out on Arran and Goat Fell :clap:
Bubba Ribeye
Mountain Walker

Corbetts:1

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland