walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

winter boot advice needed

winter boot advice needed

Postby sherman_mccoy » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:09 am

Hi all,

I have recently joined my local mountaineering club and will be going on a 4 day trip to Glencoe in early march. Whilst I'm only intending to do walking, this will be my first proper winter excursion into the hills using crampons etc.

I'm hoping to borrow some crampons and an ice-axe, but new boots which are compatible with crampons will need to be purchased.

I've already nearly bankrupted myself on layers and various other bits so ideally wasn't looking to spend more than £150

I've done some reading on the grading system vis-a-vis crampons and deduced that a B2 boot is probably going to be necessary.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
sherman_mccoy
Munro compleatist

Re: winter boot advice needed

Postby jmarkb » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:15 am

A B1 rated boot would be fine for winter hillwalking. The most important thing is that they fit you well and are comfortable, so I'm afraid recommendations from other folk aren't especially useful. Try to get round the gear shops and try on as many different models as you can.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby rabthecairnterrier » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:12 am

Take the crampons with you when you are trying on boots; ill-fitting crampons are potentially more dangerous than no crampons at all. And go to a proper outdoor shop where you will get good advice.
rabthecairnterrier
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:180
Fionas:129   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:86   Hewitts:110
Wainwrights:56   Islands:41

Postby IanEzzi » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:16 pm

For what it's worth, my wee sister managed to find some Scarpa Mantas on sale for between £140 and £150 (she eventually got them on Ebay for £150).

These are the basic non-GTX Mantas but they have served me proud for several years, warm, sturdy, confident and dry!

But yeah, fit is paramount.
IanEzzi

Munros:173   Corbetts:20
Fionas:8   Donalds:2

Postby PaulD » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:55 pm

Personally i'd never buy boots off internet unless you want the hassle of sending them back. Everyones feet are different and theres so many different fittings (lasts). If you cant base decision on boots you've previously worn then be prepared to trying a good few in shop.
PaulD
Mountain Walker

Hewitts:54
Wainwrights:98   

Postby ZEbbEDY » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:48 pm

go to shop and try the ones on you like

leave and scour internet for cheapest price ;)
ZEbbEDY
Rambler

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk