walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Winter wanders vol 4: Small river, big drops

Winter wanders vol 4: Small river, big drops

Postby BlackPanther » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:48 pm

Route description: Corrieshalloch Gorge, Braemore Junction

Date walked: 04/01/2015

Time taken: 0.5 hours

Distance: 1 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This is not a big walk, more a nice place to visit, so I thought I'd give this one a separate entry. It was Sunday, the 4th of January and we decided to climb Meall Doire Faid, a Graham just of Braemore Junction. Because if done by itself, this hill is only a half-days route, we had some time to spare and also popped in to Corrieshaloch Gorge.
Warning: DO NOT come here if you suffer from heavy vertigo!
The car park was empty, even though it was a Sunday. Well, weather didn't impress - windy and cloudy with a chance of shower. But surprisingly, the lack of good light added to the magic of the gorge.
There are good paths everywhere, we walked straight down to the bridge:
The info board:
I'm way past my vertigo days but as I stepped onto the bridge, I had that old weird feeling waking up in my head :? Kevin wasn't bothered at all:
On one side, the Falls of Measach plunging into the abyss..

On the other, the most impressive view, the gorge itself. Vertical drops on both sides:
Scaaaary:
We followed the path to the viewing platform and spent some time photographing the waterfall from a different angle:
Zoomed:
The cliffs from the viewing platform:
Looking straight down into the gorge below. This view was used in "A lonely place to die" as a background for rock climbing scenes. Of course, nobody tried to climb down into the gorge. The marvels of CGI :lol:
Fantastic little walk if you have some time to kill or on the way to the big mountains :D The second part of the day was climbing the Graham next to it, TR will follow soon.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland