walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Breaking Trail to Beinn Chabhair

Breaking Trail to Beinn Chabhair

Postby Andy74G » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:40 pm

Route description: Beinn Chabhair, from Inverarnan

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Chabhair

Date walked: 22/01/2015

Time taken: 8.15 hours

Distance: 15 km

Ascent: 933m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I couldn't make my mind up where to walk this time as the chances of a clear summit were only 50/50 on Thursday so I decided to pick a Munro that was closer to home and Beinn Chabhair looked ok. I arrived at the rear car park at the Drovers Inn about 8:45am and was off by 9am. After crossing the field and stream and then the bridge the path up was easy to follow , another walker was ahead of me but out of site but his size 11's were easy to spot in the snow.
IMG_3506 (640x211).jpg
Looking back towards the A83
IMG_3508 (480x640).jpg
plenty of ice to look at in places
. Soon I reached the falls but I only stopped briefly for the picture as a long day was ahead.
IMG_3505 (640x640).jpg
I never saw much wildlife today but once over the second style on the hill there were plenty of prints in the snow, it was fun to try and work out which belonged to which critter, but I'm no expert and I could only guess. The other walker had taken a different higher route up over Mell Mor nan Eag onto Beinn Chabhair, myself I stuck to the WH route that followed Ben Glas Burn.
IMG_3522 (480x640).jpg
No one else had been this way since the snow earlier in the week so it was just a case of walking though the foot or so of snow until I reached the start of the proper assent at the lochan
IMG_3511 (480x640).jpg
By now it was about mid day but the weather was still settled and visibility ok, I decided to press on , it wasn't really a day for great picture's and so I'd decided not to bring my large camera to save me carrying extra weight. Crampons and ice axe were needed now to make progress up some of slopes , with deep drifts in places. About 40 mins from the summit I met the only other walker who was making his decent down from the summit and we had a brief chat.
IMG_3512 (480x640).jpg
the summit
IMG_3513 (640x137).jpg
. By now it was just before 2pm so I decided to have a break once I was further back down, so after such a long trek up, the time on the summit was brief.
IMG_3514 (640x202).jpg
IMG_3518 (480x640).jpg
selfie further down ( happy face)
IMG_3523 (480x640).jpg
Learned today that protein bar's are only going to be any use if there left in the trouser pocket for a while to soften before attempting to eat..
:roll:
IMG_3524 (480x640).jpg
IMG_3525 (640x126).jpg
Although it had been a late summit, once off Beinn Chabhair the walk back was a lot easier and quicker through the snow, I reached the campsite as darkness was falling and was back at the car about 5pm , a long day indeed.
Andy74G
Mountaineer

Munros:54   Corbetts:1
Fionas:6   Donalds:4

Re: Breaking Trail to Beinn Chabhair

Postby rmarschalek » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:28 pm

Really liked reading your report. just returned from the same mountain yesterday and it was good to compare. took me 8 hours as well. hard going in the soft snow.
rmarschalek
Munro compleatist

Munros:77   Corbetts:3
Donalds:1
Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:10   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland