walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Boudica's Way (Norfolk): 3. Shotesham to Saxlingham

Boudica's Way (Norfolk): 3. Shotesham to Saxlingham

Postby jonathan - norfolk » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:36 pm

Date walked: 21/01/2015

Time taken: 0.4 days

Distance: 14.5 km

Ascent: 100m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Shotesham is a popular starting point for a particulaly good circular walk that takes in a good section of Boudica's Way and I'd walked this route on with my wife long before I'd decided to complete all of the Boudica's Way.
For those interested in such things, there are currently a lot of geocaches along this circular route.
11.4 Kms (7 miles) +/- 90m

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

This short loop, 3 Kms (2 miles), was completed on 01.01.2015 as a separate walk taking in a previously unwalked section of Boudica's Way that has been re-routed by Norfolk Trails, who have also placed a series of five geocaches on this little circular route (the re-routed section of Boudica's Way is rather more pleasant than that still shown on my 1:25000 OS map - more recently printed maps may well include this section). I did the route clockwise, going east from the church, and the state of the final section of path back into Saxlingham Nethergate was dreadful. I've walked along streams in Scotland that had less water streaming down them. In the winter months sections of Boudica's Way really do become quite flooded between Saxlingham and Tasburgh (wellies and waders being more suitable footwear for some sections than four season walking boots - even with gaiters!)
One other cautionary note, several of the fields/paddocks hereabouts are used for sheep grazing in the winter months and the fencing is "basic" - it might keep the sheep in, but it wouldn't keep a dog out. Mine's been trained to leave stock alone, but I still stay alert and stick him back on the lead where sheep are just to be on the safe side. There's still plenty of places a dog can safely have a good run off the lead in this section.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Report submitted 21.01.2015
jonathan - norfolk
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:15
Fionas:11   Donalds:22
Hewitts:242
Wainwrights:214   Islands:3

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes