walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Kintyre Way, some questions of a newbie

Kintyre Way, some questions of a newbie

Postby walter1407 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:29 pm

Greetings! I plan to walk around Arran Island in June this year, After that, I would like to walk part of the Kintyre Way, heading North from Campbeltown to Tarbert (or to the ferry in Kennacraig). My questions:
1. If, as I plan, I do the walk in the "wrong" direction, will there also be signposts, or will I risk losing the way? I will have maps with me.
2. The suggested day walk from Campbeltown to Carradale is 34km long. Is there any accommodation available in between?
3. Can I hike to Kennacraig instead of to Tarbert?

(I am a newbie to hiking in Scotland but an oldie in person. I have hiked and climbed quite a bit, mostly in the Alps but also in other parts of the world. My longest trek was 1400 miles).
walter1407
Mountaineer

Re: Kintyre Way, some questions of a newbie

Postby nigheandonn » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:15 pm

There aren't really any signposts, just marker posts every so often, so it doesn't make much difference which way you go - but if you're coming over from Lochranza to Claonaig you'll be nearer the north end to start with. There's a bus up to Tarbert from there, but you'll have to change at Kennacraig or Tarbert for a Campbeltown bus.

You could easily walk the road from Claonaig to Kennacraig - it's usually very quiet - but you could also get a bus from Claonaig or Tarbert . I wouldn't recommend walking the A83.

I can't see a breaking point for the long day unless you want to go down the spur to Bellochantuy - it hardly seems worth it, though (although it is a lovely bit of coast).
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby jmarkb » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:37 pm

2. The suggested day walk from Campbeltown to Carradale is 34km long. Is there any accommodation available in between?

There's a bunkhouse at Ifferdale Farm http://ifferdalefarm.co.uk/, about 9km before Carradale.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Boris_the_Bold » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:35 am

The Argyll Hotel in Bellochantuy is approximately mid-way between Campbeltown and Carradale and is right on the beach, with great views of the sunsets.

The hotel also has some sort of deal with the owners of the caravans beside it, if you want a self-catering alternative.

If you are on Arran, can you not get the ferry from Lochranza to Claonaig and head south from there to Campbeltown and catch the ferry back from there to the Ayrshire 'mainland'?

BtB
Boris_the_Bold
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:38
Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:8   Islands:32

Postby walter1407 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:33 am

Thanks a lot for the useful information! The reason I chose the route I mention is that I want to continue to Islay after Arran and Kintyre. If I take the ferry from Brodick to Campbeltown and then from Kennacraig, I won't have to backtrack anywhere, and I can do the lot on foot.
walter1407
Mountaineer

Postby LDPWalker » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:20 pm

One interesting option that may work for you is to take the ferry from Taynloan to Gigha Island and stay in the Gigha Hotel, coming back over the next day - it certainly would add some additional adventure. I had that all planned and booked when I walked the Kintyre Way, but was stymied by bad weather leading to the ferry services being suspended!
LDPWalker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:34
Fionas:10   Donalds:18
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:71
Wainwrights:9   

Postby Old Stag » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:26 pm

The last stage of the Kintyre Way is wild and beautiful, from Macrihanish to Southend. You could do that and get back to Kennacraig using the local bus services.
Old Stag

Postby walter1407 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:08 pm

Old Stag wrote:The last stage of the Kintyre Way is wild and beautiful, from Macrihanish to Southend. You could do that and get back to Kennacraig using the local bus services.

I have heard that this part is beautiful. I have also heard that it's partly boggy, with those disguised holes that can end a walk. I concluded that it would probably be better not to do that stretch on my own. Do you think I am being too careful?
walter1407
Mountaineer

Postby JimboJim » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:49 pm

Expect you will know the Glasgow-Campbeltown-Glasgow bus (926) is timed to coincide with the Kennacraig ferry. Wouldn't worry too much about the terrain. Biggest hazards, probably midges, weather and pubs, not necessarily in that order!

Welcome to Argyll.

Jimmy
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:55
Fionas:15   
Sub 2000:24   
Islands:22
Walk wish-list

Postby Paul Webster » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:46 pm

Just a heads up that the 'official' Kintyre Way has been changed and the Walkhighlands description hasn't been updated yet - it will be over the next week or so.

We have the route correct as far as Campbeltown, but instead of then heading to Machrihanish, the route now follows the minor road near the east coast from Campbeltown down to Southend, with a short section on the shore. The old Machrihanish to Southend section is then walked in reverse, with Machrihanish now being the finish.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion