walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Whinlatter, Lord's Seat, Barf

Whinlatter, Lord's Seat, Barf

Postby made in Scotland » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:00 am

Wainwrights included on this walk: Barf, Lord's Seat, Whinlatter

Date walked: 07/02/2015

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Driving down to Braithwaite through thick fog things weren't looking too promising but as soon as we passed there the fog thinned out and the sun was trying to break through, so we decided to carry on and headed up towards the Whinlatter Visitor Centre. We parked along the road just 200m past the main Visitor Centre entrance where there is room for about 6 cars - and it's free.

The first, and worst, part of the walk was avoiding all the mountain bike trails, and getting on to the right path. Watch out for the 'no-walkers' signs on some of the paths. After a short section in wooded area we headed off to the left and out of the woods towards Whinlatter.

Whinlatter, Lord's Rake, Barf 228.jpg
Looking back through the trees towards the east.

Whinlatter, Lord's Rake, Barf 236.jpg
Looking across towards Keswick.

Whinlatter, Lord's Rake, Barf 244.jpg
The sun breaking through over Grisedale Pike.

Whinlatter, Lord's Rake, Barf 249.jpg
Looking towards Whinlatter Top - blue sky!

Whinlatter, Lord's Rake, Barf 252.jpg
Above the clouds looking towards Skiddaw.

Whinlatter, Lord's Rake, Barf 290.jpg
Loooking along the wall towards Hopegill Head, I think?

Whinlatter, Lord's Rake, Barf 298.jpg
Top of Brown How - looking towards the sea.

After this we walked down through springy heather and soft snow to a fence which then met the wall. Then we followed the fence down the side of the trees, steep and in the heather and snow I kept falling over but a very soft landing! Finally we met up with the forestry road and followed that upwards and then off through a line of trees to meet the path to the top of Lord's Seat. I had read that this can be boggy etc but today it was all frozen and perfect for walking on.

Whinlatter, Lord's Rake, Barf 323.jpg
Top of Lord's Seat.

We then crossed to Barf. Again I've heard it's muddy but today was frozen and coated in snow so easy walking.
Nice views all around from the top of Barf.

Whinlatter, Lord's Rake, Barf 352.jpg
Looking across Bassenthwaite Lake to Skiddaw from top of Barf.
Whinlatter, Lord's Rake, Barf 370.jpg

After this we walked back towards Lord's Seat, then headed over to the stile in the fence, and across to meet up with the path we had originally used to head up to Lord's Seat.

Whinlatter, Lord's Rake, Barf 375.jpg
Back down through the trees on a thin layer of snow and then onto the forest road right back down to the visitor centre.

We arrived back at the Visitor Centre and the cafe was still open .... oh dear .... I think any calories used up on the walk were instantly replaced in 10 minutes of hot chocolate and apple cake heaven!
made in Scotland
Mountaineer

Munros:1   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:80
Wainwrights:140   

Re: Whinlatter, Lord's Seat, Barf

Postby mike202 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:36 am

Another inversion report! I have yet to see one :(

Nice pics, I did these on a really hot day last year, the path between Whinlatter and Lord's Seat I found difficult to follow due to the forestry.

:D
mike202
Munro compleatist

Munros:148   Corbetts:7
Hewitts:99
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Whinlatter, Lord's Seat, Barf

Postby made in Scotland » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:08 pm

mike202 wrote:Another inversion report! I have yet to see one :(

Nice pics, I did these on a really hot day last year, the path between Whinlatter and Lord's Seat I found difficult to follow due to the forestry.

:D

Yes, the cloud inversion made this walk really. Looking west was strange as I knew the sea was there but I couldn't see it, the 'smoke' plume from Sellafield was emerging from the cloud, and I think the hills on the Isle of Man were what I could see in the distance floating out of the cloud. I couldn't believe it when I realised I'd forgotten my camera! So I had to make do with my phone - luckily it was fully charged.

Yes - agree with you about the path, it's not very clear. Hope you get to see a cloud inversion soon - don't forget the camera!
made in Scotland
Mountaineer

Munros:1   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:80
Wainwrights:140   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland