walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Information / help please.

Information / help please.

Postby Iain Meach » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:22 pm

hello.

I read the pace data for the different guides ie slow pace, medium fast pace, but I have no reference point and cannot gauge it.
Recently crossed Ochills from North to South from Blackford past Upper Glendevon reservoir footbridge and the windfarm, Ben Buck and Menstrie glen Summit of Dumyat and finished at Cambuskenneth ancient monument. This took around 7.5 hrs and was approx 22 km. With luck someone will give me and idea of what pace this is equal too all rough hill country ie no tracks.

Thanks.
ian
Iain Meach
Mountaineer

Re: Information / help please.

Postby jmarkb » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:02 pm

Iain Meach wrote:I read the pace data for the different guides ie slow pace, medium fast pace, but I have no reference point and cannot gauge it. Recently crossed Ochills from North to South from Blackford past Upper Glendevon reservoir footbridge and the windfarm, Ben Buck and Menstrie glen Summit of Dumyat and finished at Cambuskenneth ancient monument. This took around 7.5 hrs and was approx 22 km. With luck someone will give me and idea of what pace this is equal too all rough hill country ie no tracks.

Not quite sure of your exact route, but it likely involved around 1000m of ascent (perhaps you know more accurately?). Naismith's rule (1 hour per 5km + 1hour per 600m ascent) gives just over 6 hours. Naismith's rule is quite a fast pace, so 7.5 hours is not at all slow considering the rough ground. I reckon you will likely be towards the lower end of the time ranges given for the walks on this site. Different guidebooks estimate times differently though, so usually you need to try a couple walks (or look at ones you've already done) and see how your times compare.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Iain Meach » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:40 am

jmarkb. Thanks for that.

I dug out the saved route, its 1478m of ascent and 23 km according to this sites gps planner. Im not really interested in going fast, its just that if I wished to join a walk I can join the correct group.

Thanks again.

Ian
Iain Meach
Mountaineer

Postby jmarkb » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:29 am

Iain Meach wrote:jmarkb. Thanks for that.

I dug out the saved route, its 1478m of ascent and 23 km according to this sites gps planner. Im not really interested in going fast, its just that if I wished to join a walk I can join the correct group.

Thanks again.

Ian

I don't think you would have any problems keeping up with a guided or organised group!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Iain Meach » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:04 pm

Cheers for that.

Ian
Iain Meach
Mountaineer

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion