walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Direct Route = Terror

Direct Route = Terror

Postby Fife Flyer » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:42 pm

Route description: Mayar and Driesh, Glen Clova

Munros included on this walk: Driesh, Mayar

Date walked: 21/02/2015

Time taken: 4.75 hours

Distance: 14.5 km

Ascent: 957m

15 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Another Saturday pass - big decision where to head :roll: First problem I had to be home by 5pm as Mrs F was taking me out for dinner and I couldn't be late :lol:
With a relatively small time window I had to select something "easy" :lol:
Tommy had volunteered/made himself available, I kind of fancied heading across to Stob Ban near the Grey Corries, but that would have meant another early rise at silly o'clock and the same drive as last week, except maybe 10/20 miles shorter. So I checked Tommy's blue balloons to see what we could tackle and opted for Mayar & Dreish, I knew they should make a great day out especially if they had been sprinkled with snow :lol: I have climbed M & D on 3 previous occasions, all in summer conditions over a 20 year period :lol:
Arranged to meet Tommy at Broxden between 7.30 and 8am, we were both early so we set off through Perth and made good time through Blairgowrie and arrived in the car park at Glen Doll just before 9.
Round of applause for the Forrestry Commission :clap: :clap: I went to the pay and display machine to put my hard earned coins into the slot only to find a note stuck on the machine saying that both machines were broken and parking is FREE :shock: Has anybody ever heard of a local Council doing that at one of their cash generators? I somehow doubt it :lol:
We set off at 9 prompt and the walk through the forest along the track did seem an awful lot longer than I remember from my previous visits, but as usual once you exit the forest the view of Corrie Fee still never fails to amaze 8) There were a few other walkers lingering around and taking photo's, so we joined in :lol:

DSCF8463.JPG
Corrie Fee from the photo spot on the edge of the forest

DSCF8464.JPG
Corrie Fee from a wee bit closer

DSCF8468.JPG
The view to the north of Craig Rennet from the photo spot

DSCF8469.JPG
View to the south of Corrie Sharroch

DSCF8472.JPG
Waterfall in Corrie Fee

The path that winds it's way through Corrie Fee is very well maintained and good progress can be made, alot of work must have been done as parts of the path, especially the uphill sections have stones placed that make going uphill much easier than normal - kind of reminded me of the path up the "wee bookil" :wink:
As we got higher and had passed all the other walkers, the surface started to become icy in patches underfoot and snow was lying, so at the next convenient spot, ie somewhere to sit, we stopped and donned our additional footwear.
Tommy had his crampons, but I foolishly, having assessed the conditions from the car park, left mine in the car. I had my micro spikes in my rucksack so they were slipped on over my boots in record time :lol:

DSCF8474.JPG
Tommy hatching his plan of ascent

DSCF8482.JPG
Looking back towards the forest

DSCF8477.JPG
Waterfall from a wee bit closer

DSCF8480.JPG
Plenty of ice around

DSCF8484.JPG
Looking back from a bit higher

DSCF8489.JPG
Waterfall again

So we were now ready for anything. The path uphill was very patchy snow and ice wise and Tommy had this 'great' idea/suggestion, that rather than continue up the path why not take the "direct route"? There was a gully up to the left and from the path looked fairly or reasonably doable, so not wanting to be a wimp I agreed with his suggestion - let the scariness begin :lol:
It is just a shame that I didn't take some photo's before we set off up the gully, I got myself prepared by putting my camera in my rucksack. Started the initial climb by using my poles to assist, however they soon became more of a hinderance, so they were packed away and out came my ice axe :shock: :shock:
I must explain that I have had my ice axe for quite a while now and recently it has been attached to my rucksack making me look like a proper hillwalker :lol: I have never had any reason to set it free, but this was it's big opportunity :lol:
The snow in the gully, was very firm with what seemed like a layer of ice covering it. Tommy was leading as he was better equipped, even without an ice axe. he was trying to create steps in the rock hard snow, which as the angle of ascent increased, became much harder.
After about maybe 50m of ascent, it became much steeper and we discussed the best option and I was going inch my way across to my left and continue the climb on the rocky/snowy/icy/heathery slope as that looked like the easiest way up. Going back down was definitely not an option for either of us as it was far too steep :roll:
I inched my way across to the heather using my ice axe to great affect, however things only got slightly easier :roll: I had to take my gloves off so I could make use of the heather and grip it tightly - I must stress no heather was damaged on my ascent :lol: :lol:
After inching my way up, while Tommy continued to make very slow progress on the snowy gully. It then got a wee bit steeper and Tommy decided to inch his way across to his right and use the rock and the edge the snow.
Both of us were constantly talking to each other and although making light of the situation, we were both not enjoying it one bit, my hands were shaking and Tommy said his legs were like jelly :lol: I had to laugh when Tommy posted his GPS stats on FB which said he had burned 2795 kCal (whatever they are), I am sure I must burned twice that through nervous energy :lol:
Once I reached the safety of a small ridge, I thought I have to get my camera out and take some photo's, unfortunately as I said to Tommy I bet the photo's don't show how steep the gully is - and I was right :(

DSCF8490.JPG
Tommy inching up to join me

DSCF8491.JPG
Head down in concentration

DSCF8494.JPG
Still doesn't look steep

DSCF8496.JPG
Nearly there

Once Tommy joined me, the incline eased quite a bit and we soon reached the top of the gully and a huge expanse of snow 8) It seemed as if we had spent ages on that part of the ascent, as it turned out we must have made quite good progress because the other walkers would appear behind us :shock:

DSCF8498.JPG
We felt so tall after our accomplishment, what a relief to see much flatness

DSCF8504.JPG
Such a small cairn on Mayar after all our efforts

DSCF8512.JPG
Looking south from Mayar

Lunch was taken on the summit of Mayar and well earned, it was very windy and the forecast did estimate with the chill factor added on, the temperature would feel like -13deg and certainly was cold, you couldn't take your gloves off for any length of time.
The descent off Mayar was very pleasant, not steep but the snow had a nice firm crust on top which helped us make good progress. I remember from my previous walks that there are a few boggy areas on the way to Dreish, but that was all iced over so it was an easy romp.
As approached the ramp up to Dreish I pointed out to Tommy the descent path :wink: The climb up Little Dreish was not what you could call pleasant, after our exploits and fresh ascent was unwelcome :lol:

DSCF8521.JPG
A 'professional' photographer taking photo's down Corrie Kilbo

DSCF8524.JPG
Tommy relaxing against the trig on Dreish

DSCF8531.JPG
Me propping up the trig

The summit of Dreish is a huge plateau and a shelter which has been built around the trig, it was still windy and cold so after a few photo's we were off and starting the descent.
We still had our additional footwear on and that would remain on until we reached the lower slopes before we entered the forest. The path that takes you down the Shank of Drumfollow is usually fairly easy, albeit seemingly never ending, it takes you down at an almost constant angle. The path on our descent was covered in ice and hard packed snow from other walkers, so great care had to be taken, as a result you were totally concentrating on the next step :roll:

DSCF8539.JPG
The path down

DSCF8548.JPG
Looking down to the forest

DSCF8549.JPG
If you saw this from the car you wouldn't bother carrying crampons!

The walk back down through the forest and back to the car park seemed to take no time at all :roll:
What I thought was going to be a nice easy walk turned out to be a harsh lesson - for both of us :lol: Thoroughly enjoyed the day and a big thank you to Tommy for being great company :clap: This walk highlights you can make any day as easy or as hard as you want, I thought we did superbly well to complete the walk in under 5 hours :lol:

Next on the horizon for me at least is a trip way up north west to the Fannichs next Sunday, weather permitting to join what could be quite a gathering of WH folk - bring it on :wink:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Re: Direct Route = Terror

Postby jupe1407 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:56 pm

That's quite an adventure on these two hills

Nice report and fab pics :clap:
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby Backpacker » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:01 pm

Good report, though I'm still wondering what made you take the direct route?
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:115
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby Fife Flyer » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:09 pm

Backpacker wrote:Good report, though I'm still wondering what made you take the direct route?

It looked like we could manage it when we looked up and Tommy's powers of persuasion :lol:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Postby tommyatr » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:52 pm

Cracking report as usual martin,wish I could be as persuasive with wife and kids lol.

To be fair it did look easy enough from the bottom, looks can be deceiving :shock: :shock:

I felt it was okay until I came back down a bit to assist on going sideways and that was when the realisation hit me and my bottle crashed lol.

Cracking day and thoroughly enjoyed it,thanks again for the company and picking the hills.
tommyatr
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:24
Fionas:25   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:10   

Postby litljortindan » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:21 pm

The gully does look steep to me. How are the microspikes?
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby Collaciotach » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:47 pm

Good report and some grand pics :clap: :clap:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:20 pm

Ouch ... I feel the pain there - Roger tells an awful tale of cutting steps coming down Corrie Fee in the years before there was a path - not helped by rapidly fading light, then trekking across the snow covered glen back to the car park in the dark being able to hear the burn but never knowing if he as actually walking over it on ice that might give way. :shock: :?

Your photos are smashing though and it all ended well, at least you had the micro spikes :clap: :clap: Enjoy the Fannaichs - they're brill.
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby mgmt! » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:56 pm

Direct Route = dangerous :wink: and iresponsible :wink: :wink:
mgmt!
Mountaineer

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:15 pm

Risky stuff there Martin, glad you made it back safely. Lessons to be learned there I hope : :wink:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby cmarcol » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:56 pm

Heads up on the parking. Last time I was there (October) I went into the centre to see if I could get change for the machine and was told it was off until they fitted the new barrier. The ranger said it was being fitted in the spring so there will be no escaping the pay machines now!

Looked like a good day!
cmarcol
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:22
Fionas:6   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Fife Flyer » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:41 pm

cmarcol wrote:Heads up on the parking. Last time I was there (October) I went into the centre to see if I could get change for the machine and was told it was off until they fitted the new barrier. The ranger said it was being fitted in the spring so there will be no escaping the pay machines now!

That explains the trench that had been dug across the entrance to the car park :wink:
It will mean the turning area before you cross the river over the bridge will be the "free car park" :wink:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Postby Liam57 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:00 am

Looks awesome, I headed up here on Sunday with the missus, her first time out walking so thought i would break her in gently. However the weather took a turn for the worse and looked nothing like this although it was just a day later. Snow covered the whole of corrie fee i couldnt even make it to the waterfall due to the winds, snow and fog. Mad how different it was. Will hopefully type up a small report later as i have a small selection of pictures to post also so you will be able to see how the weather came in.
Liam57
Stravaiging

Munros:1   

Postby Mountainlove » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:10 am

I enjoyed reading about your adventure...lol the direct routes are always a good idea until you are halfway up and thank that it was maybe not a good idea after all. Well done for getting your ice axe out for the first time...sure it won't be the last time. :D
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby dogplodder » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:58 am

Looks a good day - despite the terror! 8)
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

15 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland