walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Winter's back, if only for a short time

Winter's back, if only for a short time

Postby BlackPanther » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:27 pm

Date walked: 21/02/2015

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 18 km

Ascent: 309m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I wasn't going to write this report at all, since I have already posted lots about Loch Affric circuit. But I simply couldn't resist... OK, not much written description this time, just some photos.
It's one of our ever fav low level walks and we do it at least once a year. In 2014 we tackled the circuit in a washout, paths turned into rivers, cats and dogs falling from the sky :lol: :lol: This year, for a change, we faced a snowstorm to begin with, but a lot of lovely sunshine later on.

We had no problem driving up to the car park this time, there was some fresh snow, but it was already melting and - to our surprise! - we met a gritter half way up!
The ticket machine at the car park was broken, so we saved £2 parking charges :lol:
Our route:

Track_GLEN AFFRIC 21-02-14.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Usually we walk the circuit anticlockwise, but this time we went a bit against the old habit and decided to do it clockwise, on the southern side of the loch first.
On the bridge, we could see the snowstorm coming, but it wasn't scary enough to stop us:
The snow came quickly and in 10 min or so we looked like two snowmen :lol: We kept pushing though we couldn't see much, hoping that the snow shower will eventually pass and it did...
The world around us revealed:
Having walked maybe half way up the loch, we left the whiteout behind and we could enjoy the beautiful views of Glen Affric covered in snow.:

Kevin needed his winter coat:
Arriving at Athnamulloch:
Mullach Fraoch-choire smiling:
There were cars parked by the bridge and a group of tents pitched by Strawberry Cottage, but nobody in sight. The owners were, most likely, high up, climbing the white hills!
Kevin on the bridge:
Looking west towards Beinn Fhada:
I'll never tire of this place. I love Glen Affric!
Mullach Fraoch-choire from slightly different angle:
Affric-an sunshine:
After a good break in Athnamulloch, we set off on our way back on the path along the northern side of the loch. Here we met a few groups of walkers, everybody doing the circuit anticlockwise - obviously we swam against the flow :lol:
Some photos from the return route - we enjoyed lovely sunshine almost all the way to the car park :D
Looking west:

Allt Coulavie not so much in spate as we were afraid of - no problems with fording the river:
Happy girl in winter wonderland:
Views along the loch:

The snow melting quickly on the path:
Sun and cloud spectacle:

Stunning scenery :D I always wanted to see Glen Affric in full white. Maybe we should have risked climbing a hill, but this was just as enjoyable. Meow!
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland