walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sunshine in Glen Artney

Sunshine in Glen Artney

Postby past my sell by date » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:48 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Uamh Bheag

Donalds included on this walk: Uamh Bheag

Date walked: 16/02/2015

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 11.5 km

Ascent: 670m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A beautiful clear sunny day: I left the "church" car park, walked along the road and through the gate, but I headed too high up the hillside, missed the "muddy" path by the burn and stayed on its E side for quite a time. The ground was very tussocky and a bit off a bogfest later on - I had hoped the bogs would be frozen but no :( .
The snow was also rather variable so overall the going was a bit slow, but I headed up the broad NE shoulder of the hill, and reached the trigpoint on the edge of "nothing" - to the S the ground just disappears into "lowlands". Apart from its gaelic name this hill seemed to me - as might be expected being S of the "Highland LIne"- to have all the characteristics of a borders hill. I continued along the fence to the true top and contoured round via Meall Claclach to the top of am Beannan. I descended this directly on steep grass , found the correct way back over the bridge and returned to the car. The views to the N and NW were superb throughout. I took lots of photos but they mostly show the same - so here are just a few
ART01.jpg
On the NE shoulder looking past the nose of Am Beannan to Ben Vorlich
ART02.jpg
A bit higher Stuc a Chroin, Ben Vorlich and Meall na Ferna
ART03.jpg
The fence leads from the trig point to the true top 2 m higher Ben Ledi behind on the L - Beinn Each on the R
ART03a.jpg
The fence then turns N
ART03B.jpg
The Tarmachan and Ben Lawers peaks from the top of Am Beannan
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by past my sell by date on Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Re: Sunshine in Glen Artney

Postby Gordie12 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:21 pm

Looked like you got a great day - really clear photos.

Don't suppose that road up Glen Artneys got any better in the last 12 months???
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland