walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall mor

Meall mor

Postby tom061087 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:33 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Meall Mòr (Rannoch Moor)

Date walked: 14/03/2015

Time taken: 0.75 hours

Distance: 1 km

Ascent: 180m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Was in two minds about whether to bother with this hill on a drive back from Fort William as there was only an hour or so until dark, but the glass like reflections of the sunset in the lochs as i drove back across rannoch moor meant i couldn't resist getting a birds eye view.

Parked up in a small layby (2-3 cars) almost in line with the mast which is easy to spot on the shoulder of Meall Mor. There was an indistinct quad track from here to the mast and then a very faint path beyond that which eventually petered out but it was easy enough to just head generally towards the top. Although the temperature was a few degrees, the ground was still just about frozen which made the going very easy, although at warmer times of i suspect it might be a bit boggy.

Took about 15 minutes to get to the top at a good pace, and the view certainly made all the effort worthwhile, this hill surely has on of the best view to effort ratios in scotland!

Very highly recommended if you have an hour to spare on the drive past and the weather is clear.
tom061087

Munros:45   Corbetts:25
Fionas:16   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:45

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland