walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Spring sunshine on Beinn Tharsuinn

Spring sunshine on Beinn Tharsuinn

Postby dynamo83 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:32 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn Tharsuinn (Ardross)

Date walked: 14/03/2015

Time taken: 3.3 hours

Distance: 16 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

First public walk report so heres hoping it is ok

With all this sunshine in the north of Scotland I decided to make the most of it and root about in the storage cupbaord to dig my walking stuff out of winter hibernation. (At the same time put my skiing stuff in the cupboard for summer hibernation)

I Had family commitments in Easter Ross later in the day so decided on Beinn Tharsuinn.

Parked the car in the huge parking area just beside the Strathrory bridge on the B9176 or the "Struie road" as its known in these parts.

Had the mountain bike in the boot/back seat of the car so decided to make best use of it and cycle as far up the track as i could.
tharsuinn1.jpg
Beiinn Tharsuinnin the distance

The track is well made and would of been very easy going if it was not for my lack of bike fitness!

I suppose the track was made for the now defunct small quarry as this is were it ends. Stashed the bike at this point and started on foot up the Eastern shoulder of Torr Leathan. Started off a little boggy for the first few hundred metres until the gradient steepens a little.
tharsuinn2.jpg
Beinn Tharsuinn from just above the quarry

The summit of Torr Leathan has a decent sized cairn and pretty good views.
tharsuinn3.jpg
Looking down Strathrory from Torr Leathan

In between Torr Leathan and Beinn Tharsuinn is a grand canyon of a peat hag. Didnt want to risk going up to my waist in soggy blackness so took a detour a couple hundred metres to the south to a more manageable but still risky place to hop across, Even with the detour i was at the summit of Beinn Tharsuinn in 15 minutes.

tharsuinn4.jpg
Summit Trig

tharsuinn5.jpg
Ben Wyvis and Meall Mor

tharsuinn6carn.jpg
Carn Chuinneag

Was a slight breeze on the summit so started heading down Easterly off the summit until i was out of the breeze to have some lunch just above the large snow patch on the second photo.
While eating I was looking at my map to judge the best way to descend back to the quarry when I realised that Beinn Tharsuinn has two summits of 692m. grrrrrr! Was toying with the idea of just sacking it, but sense prevailed and I walked back up to the trig point an then along the summit plateau area to the other high point.
Took a fairly direct route down, heading almost straight for an area just above the quarry. Grabbed the bike then made a speedy descent back to the car.
dynamo83

Munros:208   Corbetts:76
Fionas:21   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland