walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

SPEYSIDE WAY

SPEYSIDE WAY

Postby macke » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:51 pm

Hi I am planning to walk the SPEYSIDE WAY in May. I am hoping to use public transport to get to and fron the various points on the route and will initially base myself in Elgin. Now buses from Elgin to Buckie, Fochabers or Craigellachie are not a problem, but does anyone have any idea how to get to/from Balindalloch?

Ken
macke
Mountaineer

Re: SPEYSIDE WAY

Postby Old Stag » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:12 pm

There's a very basic campsite at Ballindalloch, you could rough it in a tent for a night.
Old Stag

Postby malky_c » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:47 pm

Theres a bus that goes Aberlour - Tomintoul - Aberlour - Elgin in the morning and Elgin - Aberlour - Tomintoul - Aberlour in the afternoon every Thursday that could work. Times aren't great so you would need to use a the Dufftown bus to Aberlour first. Details here:
http://www.travelinescotland.com/pdfs/timetables/MOAO363.pdf

If you don't want to go on Thursday, you're stuffed for public transport I'm afraid.

EDIT: There is a similar Tuesday service to Keith, but it doesn't come up on Traveline:
http://deveroncoaches.com/times/Service_362_.pdf
Plus a school bus service from Tomintoul to Aberlour, but the times for that are useless. You could ring Deveron Coaches and find out what the status of the service above is.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby jenniferc6 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:33 pm

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12511
I used the bus and walked back to my car each day when I did the speyside way. There was a community bus between Aberlour and Grantown which I used between the Ballindalloch sections. I just flagged the bus down but not sure if you need to phone in advance now looking on the moray council website.
I got a lift for the Tomintoul spur since buses seemed quite rare!
jenniferc6
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:182
Fionas:42   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:37   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:10

Postby Bob the Dog » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:09 pm

If you need a lift for this tricky section I'm sure we could help you out as live locally. PM If you're interested. Needs to be after school time though :D
Bob the Dog
Munro compleatist

Munros:130   Corbetts:10
Fionas:3   Donalds:1

Postby macke » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:58 pm

Hi Bob the Dog I am interested in your offer. I have tried to PM you, but the messages never go any further than my outbox
Macke
macke
Mountaineer

Postby Bob the Dog » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:38 pm

macke wrote:Hi Bob the Dog I am interested in your offer. I have tried to PM you, but the messages never go any further than my outbox
Macke

Hey
Replied now. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Bob the Dog
Bob the Dog
Munro compleatist

Munros:130   Corbetts:10
Fionas:3   Donalds:1

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion