walkhighlands

This board is for meeting up, whether it means arranging group walking trips, or just looking for a partner for your next walk or sharing a lift. There is also a club directory.
Warning Feel free to use this board to arrange to meet up with other walkers, either individually or for a particular walk, or for a larger get together over a weekend. The usual precautions are advised when arranging to meet individuals you have not previously met.

Please note that meetups are NOT arranged by Walkhighlands and everyone who arranges to meet for a walk using this board is responsible for their own safety. Please ensure you do not attempt a walk beyond your own abilities.

Scottish natives for walk and talk...?

Scottish natives for walk and talk...?

Postby PermaHeretic » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:02 pm

Hi
I am coming to the Skye and the north west for most of April. I have taken up more lengthy walking since getting a pedometer app; I have also got a dog. I am planning to do circular or short/moderate there-and-back walks from my camper, which I will park in carparky sort of places at the start of the walk. Going via, or ending up at, the pub would be good. Monroes and stunningly beautiful spots would be good as I'll be going to places I've never been before, and as I live in Devon I won't return as soon as I'd like.

I normally walk alone and I am not looking for company as such, but what I would like is to have some good long conversations with Scottish natives. You see I am writing a novel that features a Scots community exiled on Dartmoor. I want to immerse myself in the accent, the culture, the history, the colloquialisms, the temperament of the Scots, to get my characters more authentic and to avoid stereotypes. Gaelic speakers would be even better as I am beginning to learn the rudiments. I am also interested in permaculture and smallholding etc - conversations about this would be of great interest - hutting, land law, all that sort of thing.

I thought going for walks would be an ideal format - obviously needs to be someone who doesn't mind talking while they walk, and who doesn't mind being asked the odd peculiar question! I've bought a compass and plan to learn how to use it but unless you are proficient I suggest we don't go anywhere unmarked or dangerous.

I am leaving for Scotland Easter weekend and will be in Skye until about the 16th. Then from the 19th I'll be heading north, then east at the end of the month before heading back down in time to be in Glasgow for election night.

Anyone interested?

Cathy
PermaHeretic
Ambler

Munros:12   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   

Re: Scottish natives for walk and talk...?

Postby mgmt! » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:08 pm

i,m out ..................................................................................................................................................
mgmt!
Mountaineer

Re: Scottish natives for walk and talk...?

Postby GillC » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:37 pm

Sounds fascinating Cathy,,, shame I wont be around in the areas you will be covering, would have enjoyed a more detailed discussion about your project. :clap:

(saying that,,we will be in Perthshire over the last weekend in April,,then heading North,,destination as yet undecided,,,for a few days,,home around the 10th May (postal votes in place)
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Meeting up, arranging trips and walking clubs