walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Worrying People

Worrying People

Postby KatTai » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:27 pm

When coming back down from our walk up to the hill overlooking Loch Lee (this was at about 2:30pm) I met a couple with their son. The guy asked if this was the way to the waterfalls walk, which it sort-off is but it is best to go up on the waterfall side as that is a difficult climb up and would be far worse coming down, not to mention it is very wet and boggy at the top - I pointed this out to the guy, but he still seemed to want to try it, though his wife seemed a lot less sure. I also pointed out that there was no path up there but it didn't seem to deter him. Afterwards I realised I should have pointed out that a map and compass is needed for up there and weather conditions aren't great for attempting it anyway but I was a bit put on the spot by the question! I'm sure I saw them just getting ready to set off when I did, which also means they were going pretty slow so I doubt at that pace they would have been able to make it all the way around before dark either.

I saw them continuing on the same route, the weather turned shortly afterwards and I could see it was raining heavily where they were so maybe that would have put them off and persuaded them to turn around and go back.

I sort-of feel that I should have been more direct and just said it was a bad idea to think of attempting it, but then I get the feeling that he maybe wouldn't have listened to me anyway.
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Re: Worrying People

Postby Boris_the_Bold » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:06 pm

Tricky - what age was the boy?

In these situations I guess the main thing is to ensure that you do not add to the problem, by giving the person/people making the decision more false confidence than they already have.

I guess if you are really worried you could/should ask them to describe their plans and volunteer to pass these plans on to mountain rescue if they don't text you by a certain time?

BtB
Boris_the_Bold
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:38
Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:8   Islands:32

Postby Giant Stoneater » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:15 am

I decided never to give advice to anyone after one winter when I offered some advice to folk who were near reaching the top of a very icy Ben Lomond and they totally ignored that advice.I was wearing crampons it was that bad but some folk were trying their very best to get to the top with trainers on but also with their feet covered by plastic bags,if people want to slide off the edge of a mountain so be it.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby CharlesT » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:29 am

Giant Stoneater wrote:I decided never to give advice to anyone after one winter when I offered some advice to folk who were near reaching the top of a very icy Ben Lomond and they totally ignored that advice.I was wearing crampons it was that bad but some folk were trying their very best to get to the top with trainers on but also with their feet covered by plastic bags,if people want to slide off the edge of a mountain so be it.

Don't think I would have been able to keep my mouth shut in those circumstances. I would have told them I was going to be blunt, then I would have been blunt.

Then again, I am an old man and exceptionally grumpy.
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby KatTai » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:41 pm

The boy was maybe 8, or so, not really good at judging children's ages. The kid and the wife certainly didn't look like they wanted to keep on going but the dad seemed all up for getting up there, though they would have been hard-pressed to find a way across the top of the hill to the waterfall anyway. I did it coming the other way after a long dry spell and it was still a swamp and a nightmare to get across! Shame he didn't ask the big walking group as I think they had done the route and would probably be better prepared to tell him to forget the idea!
KatTai
Wanderer

Postby malky_c » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:48 pm

I tend to leave people to their own devices unless they appear to be looking for help. Most people tend to learn much better from their own bad experiences than others! You may watch and wonder at times, but looking at the statistics for MRT callouts and deaths, the overwhelming majority of people seem to manage to get themselves out of trouble one way or another.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby kaiserstein » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:54 pm

Im very non-committal on providing advice. Following on from this does anyone know a good response when your asked on descent "how long to the top" without sounding like a smart-arse. Ive tried "depends how fast you walk" and " check your map" and have obviously failed by the looks I get.
kaiserstein
Mountain Walker

Munros:65   Corbetts:222
Fionas:30   Donalds:31
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:5   Islands:9

Postby Backpacker » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:10 pm

kaiserstein wrote:Im very non-committal on providing advice. Following on from this does anyone know a good response when your asked on descent "how long to the top" without sounding like a smart-arse. Ive tried "depends how fast you walk" and " check your map" and have obviously failed by the looks I get.

I usually double the time it's taken me from getting from the summit to the point I'm asked.

I've walked about 20 mins from the summit.

Other walker "How far to the summit?"

Me " About half and hour/45mins"

Other walker "Cheers"

We both go about our merry way.
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:115
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby KatTai » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:34 pm

See, I would much prefer it if he hadn't asked me anything in the first place Or maybe I should have just said "I don't know"? That sounds like a good idea, if someone asks me something about a route then I'll just say I don't know! :D It might make me look stupid but at least I won't end up in conversations like that one again. And as for anyone asking me how long, I rarely make a note of the time when I'm up the top so couldn't tell them how long it would take anyway! The only times I really keep a track of time is if I'm short of daylight so need to know when I have to turn back.
KatTai
Wanderer

Postby Fairweather Softie » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:18 pm

The world would be pretty crap place to live if we all kept to ourselves and blanked questions while out on the hills, I've always found walkers reasonably friendly and willing to offer advice. Suppose it comes down to "will I listen or not"

While I'm not the most experienced walker I would not mind offering observation / own experiences on what I had found above the point I meet someone, lost count of the amount of times someone hs asked about underfoot conditions, I can either say they are ok or bad (had to put crampons on, was able to get to top via path without too much trouble) I'm not saying you can or can't do it! just what I have seen and experienced above. On the reverse I've also asked a few times while passing people on the way down what the underfoot conditions are and then turned back as I was not prepared for a full winter walk.

Re the question about how far from the top, I always have a chuckle to myself when someone asks me. Usually I ask them how long it's took them to get to that point and then compare it to my own walking speed and give them a guesstimate. I met a couple of woman while coming down from Ben Nevis and one of them looked near to tears and she asked the dreaded question, a nice frank and honest answer helped make her mind up to start back down.
Fairweather Softie
Walker

Munros:220   Corbetts:6
Fionas:5   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:6

Postby KatTai » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:39 pm

I think it is easier when it is about weather, ground conditions etc. When I was coming down Schiehallion a guy with a dog stopped and asked me if it got any cooler further up (it didn't and there was very little breeze) and as a result he decided he would just head back down again as he was concerned it was just too hot for his dog. I also had someone heading to Clachnaben who asked about the weather up there, which had turned when I was on my way back down but did keep clearing. He decided he'd go to the end of the woods and if it was still bad then turn back. I've received advice regarding ice on the path ahead etc I don't mind things like that. I was also warned on Goatfell that the winds were very strong on the ridge, though I had already decided to head back down at that point anyway I think they were relieved to hear I was just heading back down and not considering crossing the ridge (I'm only small and don't weigh much LOL)

But this guy was just different to all those, it was more like he wanted to go ahead regardless and I just started feeling uncertain about what I should say.
KatTai
Wanderer

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion