walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A little hill before the earth changed - Ben Aigan

A little hill before the earth changed - Ben Aigan

Postby dogplodder » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:56 pm

Route description: Ben Aigan

Date walked: 11/02/2015

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I uploaded my photos soon after this walk but forgot to finish it and then events overtook me meaning I lost heart for doing anything as normal as a walk report. Added to that it's a bit tender writing up this particular one because my mum lived in New Elgin as a child and I told her we'd been through New Elgin on the way there and back. Sadly she's no longer here for me to recount my hill exploits to and I hadn't realised quite how deeply I'd miss her.

My mother aged 6 with her family in New Elgin in 1929
MUM_23-large.jpg

Anyway back to the day we climbed Ben Aigan. The forecast said east was best so we headed for Morayshire and got blue skies and sunshine all day.

We turned off the A95 at the sign for Ben Aigan but didn't end up in the car park with signs for 'Fluffy Bunny' and 'The Hammer', possibly because the right turn leading to it was covered in sheet ice, so we continued to the left and found a parking area with one car already there so that would do for us too.

Looking back the way we came in
DSC03965-large.JPG

Felled area on the right
DSC03966-large.JPG

Moira has been a fantastic support through the grief of losing a parent. She's been there. She was also so good with my mum, hearing again and again the story of how both our mums were at Boroughmuir School in Edinburgh, not quite in the same year but near enough.

Mum around the time she was in the cast of The Pirates of Penzance (a Boroughmuir School production in the 1930s)
MUM_12-large.jpg

DSC03968-large.JPG

DSC03969-large.JPG

My mum would have enjoyed this walk. She worked for a time for the Forestery Commission and loved trees. She also loved the Moray Firth and she and my dad came to Hopeman for half of their honeymoon (other half was in Plockton). It was a war time romance and each time she said goodbye to her naval officer sweetheart she knew she may not see him again. He narrowly escaped death when his ship was blown up by a German U boat torpedo and two weeks later the ship he should have been on was blown up with no survivors. I believe that sense of life being given back to them helped make my parents into the kind, generous, joyful people they were.

Their engagement in 1946
Dad 10006_ST-large.JPG

View towards Keith
DSC03970-large.JPG

Looking back from point we turned off the track to follow a path up the fire break
DSC03972-large.JPG

The path up the fire break is wet in places and sometimes overhanging branches need avoiding. When another fire break crosses it you keep straight on and soon come out on a forestry track where you turn left.

View of flat-topped Ben Aigan from track at top of fire break
DSC03973-large.JPG

First glimpse of the Moray Firth
DSC03975-large.JPG

Shortly after turning left on the track at the top of the fire break we were presented with a choice. We could continue on the wide track which at this point was covered with hard-packed icy snow or we could take a path to the right, running parallel to the track and appearing to head in the right direction. If we had checked the WH blurb we would have known this was a mountain bike trail to be ignored. As it was we walked for about 15 minutes then I became uneasy, checked the directions and realised what we'd done. So we turned round and walked back.

Transmitter mast from mountain bike trail we shouldn't have taken
DSC03977-large.JPG

Once back on the right track we stuck to it, ignoring the mountain bike trail to the left. The icy section was dealt with by donning our microspikes which we should have done earlier. The track led out on to open heathery ground dotted by tiny stunted trees, a reflection of the unforgiving winds up there.

My mum loved to hear about my walks. For the last 25 years of her life she became increasingly crippled by arthritis but she told me about the hills she climbed when she was young. Her best story is of climbing Cairngorm with a girlfriend in the early 1940s and in those days it was a much longer walk than it is now. On the way back the girls saw a car approaching and hopefully stuck out their thumbs. The car slowed down and only then they noticed the royal standard fluttering on the bonnet as a smiling King George VI gave them a royal wave. They didn't get their lift but they were over the moon about the smile and the wave!

My parents' favourite holiday destinations were Switzerland, the English Lake District and the Scottish Highlands - all landscapes of lakes, lochs and mountains - and they returned again and again to their native Highlands.

Up the Jungfrau in Switzerland in 1960
Jungfrau 11763 ft 23 Aug 60-large.jpg

With her early morning catch at Loch Ruthven in 1975
Maimie with fish Jul 75c-large.jpg

On Skye in 1986
Sandy & Maimie-large.jpg

The higher we climbed the more the views opened up until we could see the Moray Firth coastline to the north and rolling Aberdeenshire spread out to the east. Not as dramatic as the west coast but with a beauty of its own.

DSC03978-large.JPG

Towards Huntly
DSC03980-large.JPG

DSC03979-large.JPG

The track leads round the hill then at an obvious junction you take a left turn to climb the final section to the flat summit with the unusually shaped square trig point.

Moira with an unusual shape of trig point
DSC03981-large.JPG

Me with an unusual shape of head
DSC03982-large.JPG

We could see the Spey Bay one way and Ben Rinnes the other but shooting into the sun it's come out as a haze in the photo.

Into the sun towards a faint Ben Rinnes
DSC03983-large.JPG

Walking a bit to the west there is a clear view down into Rothes with its trademark distillery.

Rothes
DSC03985-largec.JPG

There was a cold wind on top so we walked back to the path junction to have lunch before retracing our steps back to the car. We had plenty of time so stopped in at Brodie Castle for coffee and cake on the way home. I recalled taking my parents to see the spring flowers there a few years ago when they were still able to go places - a poignant memory now.

Mum would have been astonished to have been woven into one of my walk reports (the hills were really more my dad's passion than my mum's) but she never tired of hearing about where I'd been walking and nothing will replace that.

Mum aged 83 - 8 years ago at her granddaughter's wedding
117c-large.jpg

Part of my mother's legacy is in her 10 grandchildren and 18 great grandchildren and it's one of my aims to introduce some of those small children to the wonders of the Highlands she and my father loved so much.

Three of her great grandsons on top of nearby Ben Rinnes
DSC03119-large.jpg

DSC03123-large.jpg
Last edited by dogplodder on Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: A little hill before the earth changed - Ben Aigan

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:50 am

A great tribute to your mum DP and a wonderful link across the generations of a hill loving family :D :D
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby Beaner001 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:05 pm

Lovely pictures of your folks DP, it's good you have a great friend in Moira to support you through this awful time.
Thoughts are with you just now.
Matt
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby AnnieMacD » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:11 pm

Love the way you inter-dispersed the photos of your Mum with the modern ones. Hope you'll be back in the hills soon and many condolences.
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby pollyh33 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:24 pm

Such a delight to read another of your wonderful reports Kathleen. :clap:

Thank you for sharing your precious memories with us, we're all the better for it. :D :D
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby rockhopper » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:37 am

A good day for it, DP, and a nice way to remember.
Does make us stop and think of what's really important to us - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby BoyVertiginous » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:27 am

Lovely stuff, dp. A poignant and fitting tribute, you clearly have many great memories to draw on that won't be far from your thoughts in the tough times.
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Munros:251   Corbetts:75
Fionas:26   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:49   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:62   Islands:18

Postby dogplodder » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:13 pm

Huff_n_Puff wrote:A great tribute to your mum DP and a wonderful link across the generations of a hill loving family :D :D

Thanks Liz.
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:15 pm

Beaner001 wrote:Lovely pictures of your folks DP, it's good you have a great friend in Moira to support you through this awful time.
Thoughts are with you just now.
Matt

Thanks Matt - Moira has been great.
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:13 pm

AnnieMacD wrote:Love the way you inter-dispersed the photos of your Mum with the modern ones. Hope you'll be back in the hills soon and many condolences.

Thanks Annie. It has helped to be able to acknowledge Mum on here. The last hill I did was just before I found out she was ill and I wished I'd known earlier so I could have been with her that day. So returning was always going to be hard. Anyway, deep breath, I'm planning a hill tomorrow. It's what Mum would have wanted.
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:14 pm

pollyh33 wrote:Such a delight to read another of your wonderful reports Kathleen. :clap:

Thank you for sharing your precious memories with us, we're all the better for it. :D :D

Thanks Pauline. :D
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:34 am

rockhopper wrote:A good day for it, DP, and a nice way to remember.
Does make us stop and think of what's really important to us - cheers :)

Yes a good time to reflect on what's important. Thanks RH. :)
dogplodder

Postby litljortindan » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:40 pm

Surprisingly good hill and a great way to remember someone. My own mother died late in 2010 and I didn't get onto a hill until the following February but she was very much in my thoughts then.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:156   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby dogplodder » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:53 pm

BoyVertiginous wrote:Lovely stuff, dp. A poignant and fitting tribute, you clearly have many great memories to draw on that won't be far from your thoughts in the tough times.

As someone said the rawness gradually fades and you're left with the good memories. Just takes time. :)
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Fri May 01, 2015 3:13 pm

litljortindan wrote:Surprisingly good hill and a great way to remember someone. My own mother died late in 2010 and I didn't get onto a hill until the following February but she was very much in my thoughts then.

I don't think anything can quite prepare you for losing your mum. But there's something about the hills that makes getting out there again a strange mixture of painful and comforting. :D
dogplodder

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland