walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Glen Lyon Horseshoe

The Glen Lyon Horseshoe

Postby BoyVertiginous » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:14 am

Route description: Càrn Gorm, Meall Garbh, Càrn Mairg & Creag Mhòr

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Gorm, Càrn Mairg, Creag Mhòr (Meall na Aighean), Meall Garbh (Càrn Mairg)

Date walked: 29/03/2015

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 21 km

Ascent: 1600m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Not sure why but, I'd formed a fairly dim opinion on these four and have overlooked them in the past, in favour of other walks. Maybe it had something to do with the negative press about the estate's tactics/antics but, it proved a very enjoyable hike in better than expected conditions (albeit with the cloud-base down at or below the summits).

A fiery sunrise brewing as we set-off from home...

The "view" up the Invervar Burn towards the horseshoe...

On arrival and on the walk-in and out there's plenty of signage, most of it about why, where or how not to walk in the area. We opted for an anti-clockwise approach to the route and, as fresh snow had fallen overnight and more forecast for the day ahead, carried crampons and ice-axe. Pleased to have seemingly nailed the clothing/layering and pack weight thing this winter, I was feeling light on my feet despite the steep gradient up to Creag Mhor. I'm not a fan of walking poles but, they'd seen me through a period of injury last year, and figured they'd help today with steep, wet, grassy slopes on the walk-in (and out), as well as the snowline being well over 600m. We were in no great hurry today and there was occasional relief from the steep sections...

We'd set off a little after 9am and reached Creag Mhor (Meall na Aighean) two hours later. There was decent snow coverage above 800m throughout, soft enough not to require crampons, and the cloud was down on CM(MnA) (although the sun was trying to burn through)...

Final pull up to the first munro of the day...

After a quick food stop beneath the summit, we doubled-back on ourselves to drop down to the 855m spot height for the approach to our next target, Carn Mairg. We took a direct line up to 952m, between Meall Liath and Carn Mairg, before skirting around to the North to take the summit at approximately 12.30.

These pictures are pretty dark, should have tried the flash (it really wasn't as dismal as the pics suggest)...

Carn Mairg summit cairn (and the route-off in the distance)...

Looking back to Carn Mairg...

Coming off Carn Mairg, the cloud base lifted a bit and hadn't previously appreciated Schiehallion being at such close-quarters (albeit, her less attractive side)...

Top art...

The wind had picked-up a little and, with the weather forecast to worsen later on in the afternoon, decided to drop down a bit and find somewhere on route to third munro of the day for a lunch stop. We did so at roughly 1pm and enjoyed a relaxed break out of the wind, low enough to have a clear view of the route ahead and the next target, Meall Garbh. Suitably refuelled, we hared up on to Meall Garbh for 2pm'ish and didn't hang around, instead cracking on towards Carn Gorm where the weather began to close-in a little, with strong winds and heavy snowfall.

Meall Garbh summit metalwork, with Loch Rannoch behind...

A final steep-ish pull up to Carn Gorm after An Sgorr, saw us on the summit with its toppled trig at 3pm....

We wandered over the higher point on the ridge via the cairn there and then beat a hasty retreat to the South, enjoying a couple of 50-60m bum slides on the way (had we done the route clockwise, there would have been many more opportunities for sliding).

It was an enjoyable walk out to the plantation and stopped for a final brew by the river and shielings, before braving the filthy track back (which would be on the walk-in if doing the clockwise route) with all the hydro works going on at present and back out via the Lint Mill to the chariot.

Tea-break by the burn (bit brighter now)...Image

Northern flanks of the eastern-most of the Lawers'....

Lint Mill...

Moody skies, leaving just in time...

I really enjoyed this one and look forward to doing it again sometime, perhaps in Summer and in the opposite direction, just shows how wrong one can be!
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Munros:251   Corbetts:75
Fionas:26   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:49   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:62   Islands:18

Re: The Glen Lyon Horseshoe

Postby SecretSquirrel » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:24 pm

The Glen Lyon munros are a good round. I did these four in summer conditions and thoroughly enjoyed them. I remember Schiehallion dominating the view for a lot of the walk. I can't comment on the estate as I didn't have an problems. There was a short diversion at the start of the walk, but it was well signed and I was back on the route without much hassle.

It looks a good round for winter too. Thanks for posting!
SecretSquirrel
Mountain Walker

Munros:124   Corbetts:26
Fionas:24   Donalds:76
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:1

Postby dogplodder » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:02 pm

A good round. I did these many years ago when two of the summit cairns looked just as ugly as they do now! :wink:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Petr Dakota » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:08 pm

Nice to see the route in different condition :clap: :) You were right, good to compare in green and snowy, also I see you walked opposite direction, so good to know both :wink:
Thanks for sharing...well done :clap:
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:247   Corbetts:28
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:12   Islands:1

Postby BoyVertiginous » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:06 am

SecretSquirrel wrote:The Glen Lyon munros are a good round. I did these four in summer conditions and thoroughly enjoyed them. I remember Schiehallion dominating the view for a lot of the walk. I can't comment on the estate as I didn't have an problems. There was a short diversion at the start of the walk, but it was well signed and I was back on the route without much hassle.

It looks a good round for winter too. Thanks for posting!

Cheers, SS. To be fair, there's some pretty good signage there just now but, mainly from the developers of the hydro works. However, even the Lint Mill, which I presume is open to the public during the summer months, has a sign inside warning people not to walk beyond the Mill?! It is a good round and I intend to return, there are corbetts around there too that are now on my radar.

dogplodder wrote:A good round. I did these many years ago when two of the summit cairns looked just as ugly as they do now! :wink:

Yes, dp, I commented to my mate at Meall Garbh that the summit reminded me of something he'd created in Metal work class back in our school days...he wasn't amused!

Petr Dakota wrote:Nice to see the route in different condition :clap: :) You were right, good to compare in green and snowy, also I see you walked opposite direction, so good to know both :wink:
Thanks for sharing...well done :clap:

Yep, as I said Petr, will probably return outside of Winter and try this in the opposite direction (the way you went) maybe starting further along the road to take in the Western Corbett as well.
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Munros:251   Corbetts:75
Fionas:26   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:49   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:62   Islands:18

Postby rockhopper » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:13 pm

like you, I also went anti-clockwise as it suited me at the time - it also didn't clear until near the end, saw hardly anything but it makes for a nice walk - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland