walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Clearing up the Stragglers - Corrour to Beinn Bheoil

Clearing up the Stragglers - Corrour to Beinn Bheoil

Postby Collaciotach » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:42 am

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Bheoil, Sgòr Gaibhre

Date walked: 04/04/2015

Time taken: 16 hours

Distance: 28 km

Ascent: 1891m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Saor latha an Caisg a tighinn .... The Easter holidays approached with a good weather window on Thursday so I decided to hoover up a couple of Southern stragglers that have been on the to do list a while now Sgorr Gaibhre and Beinn Bheoil.

My plan was to ascend Sgor Gaibhre , head to Ben Alder Bothan , overnight there and bag Beinn Bheoil the next day before heading back to Corrour via Bealach Chumainn for the 3.20pm train back to the Black Garrison.

Rainig sinn gu Coire Odhair aig Ochd uairean ..... arrived at Coire Odhair 8.30am and found her still very much in the grip of Winter . kinda suspected this given the weather over the week !

IMG_4212.JPG
Leum Uilleam

So off down the road and a decision to head to the far end of the loch ............

IMG_4213.JPG

My route would be up the Coire Chreagaich and onto Meall Nathrach Mor ,keeping out the Coirean which would be full of snow and keeping to the scoured ridges where possible. We made decent time to this point and aye the snow was deep indeed

IMG_4214.JPG
Coire Chreagaich

Pulled up the slopes toward the ridge line through soft snow ,bearable but hard going ,was glad to hit the Druim and firmer conditions underfoot !

IMG_4215.JPG
Air an druim

We made dead centre on the druim and stuck to that area , fair going but occasional unconsolidated sections which were a pain in the arse usually down around the bealach between tops ,soon over Nathrach and onto Sgurr Coinneach where we overlooked the target

IMG_4216.JPG
Sgorr Gaibhre

IMG_4218.JPG
Sgurr Gaibhre agus Bealach

Left the rucksack here and walked over to the summit , soft snow again and so far I did not use the axe or the crampon's . I lot of cornicing on the East aspect here , indeed the heaviest accumulations of snow were North and East facing where the South / South West winds had blown copious amounts of the white stuff, we soon made the summit

IMG_4219.JPG
Cárn

I then for the first time looked at the time , only past midday could I get to the Bothan before 3pm ? ...that would make an ascent of Beinn Bheoil possible before dark and with the weather forecast poor for tomorrow be a good move and allow me to "just" walk out on Friday ,maybe even get the 11.20am train :?

Decided to go for it we shot down the steep slope East to Carn a Bhalaich

IMG_4222.JPG

Again I decided against dropping onto the Moine (moor) and stuck to the ridges of Meall a Bhalaich and Sron na Saobhaidh

IMG_4223.JPG
Saobhaidhe

The route was a good choice until I hit Bac na Craoibhe the name is a giveaway *place of the peats and where there is peat there is hags which I found on numerous occasions hiding under waist deep snow ,was in fine sour humour and wet boots by the time I reached the Bothan !

IMG_4224.JPG
Bothan Beinn Eallair

Bha e trichead bliadhna air ais nuair a bha mi a seo ..... been about thirty years since I have been here !

Still time was 2.45pm so a quick bag a berth inside , a wring of the socks and an immediate ascent of the Bealach Breabag , starting to feel the pace once we hit the snow again !

IMG_4225.JPG
An cu

Leathered on and finally summited at Sron Coire an Iolaire where we paused for a breath and a break , plenty time now :D

IMG_4227.JPG
Beinn Bheoil

IMG_4228.JPG
Bealach

We slipped over the bealach , good views to Eallair herself and a good clarity to the air although cloud was rolling in from the West as predicted , still was not going to spoil my views today

IMG_4229.JPG
Cárn Bheoil

IMG_4230.JPG
Coire

IMG_4231.JPG
Iarracht

IMG_4233.JPG
Beinn Eallair

Took our time retracing the steps back to the bothy by this time we were both tired and glad to reach the Bothan again at 6.45pm ,a good days work indeed .

Had a decent night in the Bothy and changed my plans again decided to go for the 9am train to the Black Garrison so up at 4am and away up the Bealach Chumainn by head torch and extremely heavy going from the 655m and West to the Uisge Labhair , a boggy snow filled creation of man trap sized holes and it took us forever to fight our way through this conundrum ,never be so glad to see dawn and Loch Oisin ! ........we made it to Coire Odhair 4.5hrs later at 8.45am for to find the train was an hour late :clap:

Footnote .........Clunaidh MacPherson was "out" in the 1745 rebellion and hid on the slopes of the Breabag and An Duin for ten years after Culloden ,sustained by his people and evading all the efforts of the brits to capture him . I can see now the advantage he had in the Bealach Chumainn ! ...... I 'd like to think many sojurs who wore the red coat of the british crown perished in this narrow defile looking for the Chief of Clan Chattan in this most inaccessible country it certainly killed my feet and I think an ghille dubh concurs :wink:

IMG_4234.JPG
An Cu
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Re: Clearing up the Stragglers - Corrour to Beinn Bheoil

Postby onsen » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:58 am

Big effort....from the both of you. :thumbup:
onsen
Munro compleatist

Postby BoyVertiginous » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:28 pm

A toughie, Colla, but hard-earned and efforts well-rewarded :clap:
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Munros:251   Corbetts:75
Fionas:26   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:49   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:62   Islands:18

Postby dooterbang » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:49 am

Plenty of snow still around eh. That sounded like a hell of a slog when leaving, but you're a tough old soldier :wink:

Nice report - liked the photo of the bothy.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby Beaner001 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:18 pm

Hard as old boots you two :clap:
Great account, me and my fellow Bheathains have an affiliation to the Gillichattan Mor of which you speak :D
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby rockhopper » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:24 pm

That sounded hard at times but rewarding in the end. Too much deep, soft snow at the moment - esp when it hides bogs :roll: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby weaselmaster » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:51 pm

That's still a fair amount of new snow from when we were up a couple of weeknds back
Hard going, sir - well done
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:196   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby Collaciotach » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:19 am

weaselmaster wrote:That's still a fair amount of new snow from when we were up a couple of weeknds back
Hard going, sir - well done

Seen enough snow now weasel ...looking forward to getting my back onto a hot rock in a warm light breeze :wink:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Postby Collaciotach » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:20 am

rockhopper wrote:That sounded hard at times but rewarding in the end. Too much deep, soft snow at the moment - esp when it hides bogs :roll: - cheers :)

Knees still recovering RH :)
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Postby Collaciotach » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:21 am

Beaner001 wrote:Hard as old boots you two :clap:
Great account, me and my fellow Bheathains have an affiliation to the Gillichattan Mor of which you speak :D

Aye toughie this one , tis good to have the affiliation :wink:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Postby Collaciotach » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:22 am

BoyVertiginous wrote:A toughie, Colla, but hard-earned and efforts well-rewarded :clap:

T was indeed !
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Postby Collaciotach » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:23 am

dooterbang wrote:Plenty of snow still around eh. That sounded like a hell of a slog when leaving, but you're a tough old soldier :wink:

Nice report - liked the photo of the bothy.

Aye and no a red coat in sight :D
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Postby basscadet » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:39 am

Wow, what a lot of snow! How do you keep your motivation up in such conditions? I'd be leaving them for another day... :lol:
Any goings on from the ghost in the bothy?

I can hardly believe the difference between this and where I was (on Arran) this weekend.. Could see northward to snowy mountains, but had no idea that there was so much winter left :shock:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby pollyh33 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:15 pm

Jings that was a smashing read! :clap:

Its amazing how being ahead of schedule can lighten the mood despite all the trials and tribulations of this walk.

Well done for achieving your goal, no-one likes having 'southern stragglers' hanging about!!! :shock:

Hope your gorgeous and brave wee dog got a big warm cuddle on the train journey back home. :D :D
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby kevsbald » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:23 pm

On the home straight now - Geagh gach durachd - I think....
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland