walkhighlands

Record your sightings of wildlife and birds on this board - even better if you managed to capture a photo.
Warning Please avoid giving out the locations of nest sites for rare birds.

Frogs or is it Toad in the Hole ?

Frogs or is it Toad in the Hole ?

Postby DonnyW » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:29 pm

Finally today. .the weather improved leaps and bounds.. and I managed my Sunday Stroll without jacket and bunnet. In fact I was over heating ... as I still had my winter pullover on.

The clear blue sky and warming temperature made me realise that spring has finally sprung.

I wasn’t the only one who was enjoying the warmth. The path was littered with frogs. They were everywhere. I had to tread warily to stop myself accidentally ending their frolicking fun with my big feet.

Of course..they may not be frogs at all...they may well be toads ..as I cant tell the difference. But Im sure they can.. although in the last photo.. no one really seems to care ..who is what or where or how many make a pair.

Ahhhh..the joys of spring :lol:

DonnyW

Re: Frogs or is it Toad in the Hole ?

Postby Jaywizz » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:46 pm

Think they may be toads - skin looks quite warty. Ahhhhh - the joys of spring! :wink: :wink:
Jaywizz
Wanderer

Munros:237   Corbetts:35
Fionas:71   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:172   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:4   Islands:26

Postby Caberfeidh » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:53 pm

Common Toad, (bufo bufo) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_toad . Or as we say in Scotchland Land, "Puddock". It is a bit demeaning when the bloody amphibians are getting it more than I am....
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby DonnyW » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:23 pm

Thanks for the ID guys... I guess I’m the puddock for getting my frogs and toads muddled up :crazy:

I should have remembered that frogs are smooth and wet .. while toads are warty and dry-ish. :roll:

I did manage to get a snap of a frog once..but it was a few years ago and think it was a pet one? (See snap below)

I can’t say I ever recall seeing a wild frog in my wanders around the hills ? Plenty newts and toads though.

Its all riveting stuff ..these amphibians.

Caberfeidh .. at my age .. I get tired watching them toads .. warts and all. I have long forgotten what a quick hop or jump was about ?
DonnyW

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Wildlife sightings