walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glen Lethnot circuit

Glen Lethnot circuit

Postby KatTai » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:19 pm

Date walked: 05/04/2015

Distance: 8.3 km

Ascent: 325m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The nice weather was too good to waste so after getting home from work and grabbing some lunch, I headed out to enjoy the sunshine! Unfortunately I was a dog down as Fly has an ankle injury, but Millie was more than happy to come along with me and Dottie the Dalmatian joined us too! But where to go on a sunny Easter Sunday? I decided on Glen Lethnot, the place I figured would be quietest.

It wasn't looking too promising on the drive down with several cars coming in the opposite direction, but when I reached the car park at the Glen there were only two other cars there, and for one of those the people were just in the field by the river, and this thing:

26.jpg
Strange vehicle at gate into the glen

We set off finding plenty of frogs and toads in the pools along the side of the path.

3.jpg
Toady

Was hoping to maybe see some adders, slow worms or common lizards but didn't see any of those.

Most of the lower part of the route was on landrover tracks following the river.

4.jpg
Good road

This road led uphill, which would be my descent route, while I continued following the river on another landrover track that was a bit more grassy but still easy to follow along to a footbridge.

7.jpg
Track leading off from main track.

On the other side of the footbridge the path became more indistinct and boggy in places. We were going to stay in the valley, but after finding the path led onto very boggy ground and earlier coming across another couple of walkers that had seen mountain hare higher up, I decided to follow the path up to the top. This path was still a bit boggy in places but easy enough to follow up to the top.

13.jpg
Looking back down from the top.

It was certainly worth it as as soon as I was at the top I spotted some mountain hare! One even came running straight towards us before realising we were there and turning around to run in the opposite direction!

15.jpg
Mountain hare

We were then back on a good landrover track, managed to find a way to cross the ford (I hate having to cross water!), and then it was an easy enough walk back down the hill to where the track had originally split.

6.jpg
The path back down

All in all, a very enjoyable walk for a sunny Sunday afternoon! Though Dottie got a bit tired and needed a piggy-back from Millie...

a.jpg
Dottie gets a piggyback
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Re: Glen Lethnot circuit

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:48 pm

You wanted to see some adders :shock: :shock: - head for Loch Lee on a hot day in about a month.............

Love the pic of the hare.

I was trying to figure out where this walk was then realised I did the Hill of Wirren about a year and a half ago and your starting point would be at the end of that road.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby KatTai » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:16 am

Haha yeah, I'm a bit of a reptile fan so I like going out to spot them. I've only seen them at Loch Lee/Glen Esk actually never anywhere else yet!

One I spotted last year -

KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Postby Gordie12 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:45 pm

Hhhmmmmm...................thanks for sharing that :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland