walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Easter Bunny Boiler - Roasted on Black Mount Duo!!

Easter Bunny Boiler - Roasted on Black Mount Duo!!

Postby dooterbang » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:46 pm

Route description: Stob Ghabhar and Stob a'Choire Odhair

Munros included on this walk: Stob a' Choire Odhair, Stob Ghabhar

Date walked: 05/04/2015

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 1189m

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After spending Saturday cycling a leisurely 66 mile in good company with the Glasgow Cycling Group I thought I'd continue this Easter theme of outdoor activities, and socilaization, by joining the Glasgow Hillwalking Group for a walk up Stob Ghabhar & Stob a'Choire Odhair. I last did these 2 Munros on a solo adventure back in 2010, how time flies, so I was looking forward to revisiting them. Was very interesting comparing my experiences afterwards...I was sooo young back in them days :lol:

Leading todays walk was Ian Russell, one of the organisers from the walking club, Given that the group was a mixture of novice and expeienced walkers he did a fantastic assured job of keeping the group together whilst providing key safety tips and encouragement. Top bloke who made all feel welcome and safe on the hills.

The walk was to commence at 10am, which it did, but I somehow found myself in Victoria Car park at 9am! However the sun was shining and soon everyone appeared. Rosalind, who I think maybe related to Willy Wonky - she'd a endless supply of chocolate, gave us all a creme egg...a lovely gesture :)

So 16 of us sauntered West along the landrover track, the Abhainn Shira to our left.

Starav and friends in the distance.

Looking back East to Dorain, Dothaid and Achaladair

After 1.5k you come to the Cashgour Hut, take a right and follow the river for another 1.5km. Just after a gulley strike up the South shoulder of Stob a'Choire Odhair for 2k which leads you to the summit.

Stob Ghabhar in the distance.

The view East looking magnificent!

It was fairly evident that today was going to be a scorcher, already people were applying industrial strength sun block and tearing off their clothes...many of us were gorging on ice balls :shock:

We stopped at the summit for some food and took in the views. I changed my top as was extremely wet. I actually changed my top many times as I was carrying full on winter kit, may as well get good use of it I thought.

Fueled and hydrated we descended 1.5k West to the foot of the Couloir Buttress...

Looking ahead I couldn't keep the smile off my face, winter was still hanging in there... :)

Having others around comes in handy at times :wink:

Before starting the steep ascent to the Aonach Eagach ridge Ian advised everyone to put their crampons on, he also supported those that were tentative in lacing up. I didn't put mines on as thought I'd manage up using the patches of snowless rocks and grass. Halfway up I decided to put them on as there was more snow than rock.

The terrain up this slope was mixed, with some loose boulders and scree, this made it more difficult in my opnion. Everyone managed up at thier own pace, safely - well done all!

On reaching the ridge was probably the highlight of the day for me as the view looking over to Stob Ghabhar was amazing!

Time again to utilize those friendly human folk 8)

Onward we marched along the ridge...

It most certainly is a dogs life! I must improve my stick throwing skills, think the dogs were getting fed up :wtf:

Five years ago this little section of ridge put the frighteners on me but today it was very different, was very straight forward. I think back then I was out solo and not that experienced, also there was much more snow which was fresh and no footprints to follow. Across we all went...

Some Spanish trekkers on the final acent to Stob Ghabhar - had a nice chat with one of them too :)

Our group of intrepid adventurers on the final push to the summit - Ian leading the way.

Young Tommy conquering his very first munros - what a day to lose your virginity :)

Julia - still smiling and full of life, she'd only just returned from a weekend in the Lakes late Saturday evening :shock:

Michael - keeping it real :wink:

Yippee - we all reached the summitt :D 8) :clap: (photos 1 & 3 by Ian - Cheers)

We sat on the summit and had more food, I gorged on black grapes...and a wee block of chocolate from Rosalind.
All through the walk many conversations were struck up between all walkers. It was great hearing some inspirational stories of walking and cycling treks at home & abroad, definately food for thought. Mostly though there was good banter and a good laugh was had.

So it was time to leave the summit and descend of the mountain. Looking back to Vikki & Julia, nice girls. I hope you got your chips when home :wink:

Tremendous views on the walk out.

It didn't seem that long before reaching the landrover track, a nice stroll back to the car park was left.

After a quick change most of us went into the nearby pub at the Inveroran Hotel, a lovely establishment were crisps are ordered by colour of the packet and not flavour! Again some good chat and everyone happy, always a great feeling after a day on the hills...especially when scorchio! My face resembles the colour of a tomato, not a good look...may be time to pull out the balaclava!!

Great walk with a really good bunch of people. Just can't beat days like this on the hills. Thanks to Ian for organising, and another big thanks to Ian for finding a fellow walkers camera which he'd dropped before walking on a mile then realizing...a happy relieved man indeed!

I hope you all had a happy easter too - I had a sizzling time :D
Last edited by dooterbang on Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Re: Easter Bunny Boiler - Roasted on Black Mount Duo!!

Postby davetherave » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:47 pm

Good report Dooterbang, glad you had a large choice of mates for taking the action shots. :wink:
All you guys must have had a great day in the gorgeous surroundings and the magical weather.

When did you walk this? your TR date says today but judging by the weather I think it may have been yesterday.
Well when we were in the hills yesterday the weather was nearly as good. :D
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Postby kev_russ » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:50 pm

That looked a cracker 8) the weather wis braw yesterday & I kinda thought you'd be oot and aboot somewhere :wink:
kev_russ
Mountaineer

Munros:198   Corbetts:79
Fionas:27   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:9   

Postby dooterbang » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:03 pm

davetherave wrote:Good report Dooterbang, glad you had a large choice of mates for taking the action shots. :wink:
All you guys must have had a great day in the gorgeous surroundings and the magical weather.

When did you walk this? your TR date says today but judging by the weather I think it may have been yesterday.
Well when we were in the hills yesterday the weather was nearly as good. :D
Well spotted Dave - now ammended. I'd be superhuman to have walked that today and got home and wrote up a report :lol:

kev_russ wrote:That looked a cracker 8) the weather wis braw yesterday & I kinda thought you'd be oot and aboot somewhere :wink:
Cheers Kev. I hope you managed out and got some colour in your cheeks :)
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby davetherave » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:34 pm

I meant to comment on that cracking picture in your TR. The one with the Spanish Hikers heading for the summit. The zoomed one is a cracking fottie.
They look very close to that hairy looking cornice.
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Postby Collaciotach » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:39 pm

Good weather indeed and I trust the fitness is back to acceptable levels , well done :clap:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby rockhopper » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:21 pm

Good to see you out and about again - was also wondering if you'd retired :wink:
Sunday was certainly a cracking day - looks like you all had a great time - and no need to use a self timer for posing when in a group :lol: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby railton22 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:32 am

Wow! Great report and fantastic photos. Looks like an epic day. Well done to all :D
railton22
Mountaineer

Munros:186   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:10   

Postby BlackPanther » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:18 am

Hi Doot, and welcome to the club of tomato-faced :lol: :lol: I'm just as red after Glen Lyon circuit on Sunday... I didn't take my sunscreen... I look like after botched botox :shock:

I'm still to do these two and your photos just made my appetite even bigger. Shame they are so far away from Inverness. But I'll get around to them eventually - hopefully on a good day.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

Postby pollyh33 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:21 pm

A brilliant report on two of my fave hills. :D

Your photos are top notch as ever, but I'm not saying which ones I like best ;-)
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby scottishkennyg » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:20 pm

Cracking day, captured well in the quality images.
scottishkennyg

Munros:282   

Postby simon-b » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:40 pm

A beautiful day. Both the met office and MWIS said there would be a lot of clouds at Easter. It turned out most of them were inversion clouds, in both the Lakes and Scotland by the look of it. So nice to be rid of those recent winds, but a good number of us got caught out thinking we'd only need winter clothes. So you're right DB, it really was a hot Easter. Good to see you making the best of it!
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby mountain thyme » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:26 am

Nice pics DB :) And usual poses :crazy:
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby litljortindan » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:36 pm

Some excellent pictures and a fantastic looking day. Haven't walked much in Black Mount and this is quite inspiring for a visit.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:156   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby Graeme D » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:49 am

There were fewer people in Times Square when I was there! :shock:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland