walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Cattle on Ben Lomond?

Cattle on Ben Lomond?

Postby KatTai » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:31 am

Just been warned that there are cows on Ben Lomond, a couple were telling me that they tried attacking their dog and another couple without a dog were also charged at by them at about the same time last year. Does anyone know if the cows are out on the hill at the moment? And are the cows usually out along the Ptarmigan Ridge route as well?
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Re: Cattle on Ben Lomond?

Postby Giant Stoneater » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:14 pm

Don't forget its the breeding season for all animals so if the feel threatened they will attack whither dog is on a leash or not,same applies to people :wink: Never seen cows on Ptarmigan Ridge, been up that way about 20 times.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Re: Cattle on Ben Lomond?

Postby KatTai » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:31 pm

Yes, but wasn't expecting to hear of cattle chasing people on a popular tourist route, though now I have re-read the WH route description it does say there are cows. Don't know how I missed that the first few times as normally as soon as I see the "C" word I usually rule the walk out! I'm scared of cows so I avoid walks where there are or are likely to be cows out regardless of the time of year.
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion