walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Munro for beginners?

Munro for beginners?

Postby Bignosebird » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:56 am

After just doing regular walks and hikes we are planning for our first Munro. What is the best one to start with? We plan to go in July/August or even September, so no winter conditions I guess...

Thanks,
Mona
Bignosebird
Mountaineer

Re: Munro for beginners?

Postby jmarkb » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:58 pm

Any particular area you're thinking of?
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby mband » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:31 pm

A good way to find a suitable walk is to click on Search All Walks in the Walks drop down list. You can then select grade 3 and munros and it will give you a list of the easier munros. You can also filter by distance area etc. :)

Opinions on which one will be the best to start with will vary I guess but which every you choose I'm sure you will love the sense of achievement - enjoy!
mband

Munros:210   Corbetts:41
Fionas:2   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:23

Postby Harko » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:20 am

You can do some really easy ones - but probably won't give you much sense of enjoyment/appreciation of the munros. A good one - that many beginners start with is Ben Lomond - good vies over Loch Lomond, and views of the other hills in the lower highlands on a clear day. It's also quite easy - with a clearly marked path all the way to the summit.
Harko
Stravaiging

Munros:51   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby teaandpies » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:37 pm

Bignosebird wrote:After just doing regular walks and hikes we are planning for our first Munro. What is the best one to start with? We plan to go in July/August or even September, so no winter conditions I guess...

Thanks,
Mona

Hi Mona

I'm no expert so I'll just pass on what I think from my limited experience.

Ben Lomond as mentioned, pretty easy hill, amazing views, busy and exposed. Don't do it on a wet or really windy day as there's little shelter from other hills.
Ben Nevis was my fathers first Munro, people seem to belittle others for walking up the pony path but it's still a long walk and it's all up hill from sea level. It feels endless but straight forward, just don't ask people that are on the way down how long is left to go. Give yourself plenty of time to do it and take lots of water if you are doing it in on a hot day. Standard advice.

The Cairngorm mountain if you take the train up and get guided walk(not how I done it I assure you), a cheat but you'll get an idea of the cairngorms from it.
In the Cairngorms you have 'Mullach Clach a'Bhlair' this has a Land Rover track all the way to the top, its a pretty boring hill but if you nip across the plateau you'll be at one of the nicest hills in the area 'Sgor Gaoith' with amazing views of Loch Einich and 'Braeriach'. You'll find a nice path back down into Glenfeshie and back to the car to complete a 20K loop.

1.jpg
Mullach Clach a'Bhlair looking to Sgor Gaoith

Flat but boggy in the middle you can walk around it.

2.jpg
View of Loch Einich

I choose these walks because they were easy.
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Munros:116   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:6

Postby Lightfoot2017 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:16 pm

I think the recommendation to do Mullach Clach a'Bhlair and 'Sgor Gaoith' is a tad misguided to say the least. That can be a very exposed walk – at any time of the year. So potentially quite dangerous for inexperienced walkers who may have difficulty navigating in poor visibility, for example.

For your first (and first few Munros) I’d cut to the chase and look to the ‘easy’ Munros first. That’s how most of us got started to be honest. Here’s a very helpful quick guide here: http://www.stevenfallon.co.uk/10easy.html But the route guides and walk reports on WH are much better of course. :lol:

For what it’s worth, I’m not a fan of Ben Lomond (one of my first). In Summer it’s absolutely HEAVING with people – :crazy: and really takes away from the experience in my opinion. I’d try maybe Schiehallion or Mount Keen. A lovely very under-rated hill IMO (and very easy to do) is Meall Chuaich – just off the A9. Up and down in 3-4 hrs. :wink:

You could always hook up with some walkers here through the Meeting Up forum. They’d be happy to join you on an easier hill. :D

Good luck!
Lightfoot2017
Mountain Walker

Munros:182   
Fionas:1   

Postby teaandpies » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:41 am

Lightfoot2017 wrote:I think the recommendation to do Mullach Clach a'Bhlair and 'Sgor Gaoith' is a tad misguided to say the least. That can be a very exposed walk – at any time of the year. So potentially quite dangerous for inexperienced walkers who may have difficulty navigating in poor visibility, for example.

I understand why you say that but the question was asked with good conditions in mind and looking to do the walk at the best and time of the year.

If you apply the bad conditions logic to any hill then they are all potentially quite dangerous for inexperienced walkers in some form or another I suppose.

Do what you feel comfortable with.
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Postby Sarah86 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:06 pm

I am fairly new to the munros and have been trying to work my way through the easier ones as I take my older dog with me. I completed my 10th on Friday there, Ben Lomond, cracking hill but I was there first thing on a week day morning... by the time I was coming down there was people everywhere. Meall Nan Tarmachan was pretty straight forward as we didn't walk the ridge. Ben Chonzie was also very straight forward, I know many people don't find this one as interesting but I really enjoyed it and good views are to be had.. I didn't get them as the cloud came in. Carn Aosda has to be the easiest from Glen Shee.

It is not a munro but I have heard many good things about Ben Ledi, that is next on my list.

Whatever you pick I am sure you will enjoy.
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   Islands:1

Postby ZEbbEDY » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:03 pm

ben wyvis
ZEbbEDY
Rambler

Postby RicKamila » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:42 pm

Our first was Bynack More. Highly recommended :D
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:16   

Postby teaandpies » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:59 pm

RicKamila wrote:Our first was Bynack More. Highly recommended :D

I like that hill :thumbup:
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Postby weebirdie » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:57 pm

We did Ben Lomond as our first, with our (at the time) four year old and seven year old. We did it on a roasting hot day in July which was spectacular and not enormously busy (probably because it was so hot!), but busy enough that - if there was an accident, or if we'd needed help of some kind, someone would have been along very shortly. Never underestimate that - I would rather share the hillside with others who could help in times of crisis than wander off on our own. Of course, it depends on your own skills and confidence and who is going with you.

It's an easy enough climb - long and tiring on the way down, yes; but the views are out of this world.
weebirdie
Mountaineer

Munros:1   
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:9   

Postby IamAJMiller » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:06 pm

Schiehallion. Nuff Said! :wink:
IamAJMiller
Munro compleatist

Munros:13   Corbetts:31
Fionas:2   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:18   Hewitts:51
Wainwrights:78   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:12 pm

Not a munro, but Ben Vrakie above Pitlochry gives a great first hill walk. Easy walk in over gently rising moorland on a clear path before a well built staircase of stone climbs to the summit which gives stunning views on a good day.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion