walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Biking to Loch Callater Lodge

Biking to Loch Callater Lodge

Postby gammy leg walker » Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:35 pm

Think I may do Tolmount & Tom Buidhe in the next few days from Glen Callater via the track to Loch Callater and also thinking on taking my bike even though I am no biker,the map suggests a bike is more than possible anyone have any thoughts are more than welcome.

Thanks in advance GLW
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Re: Biking to Loch Callater Lodge

Postby KatTai » Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:46 pm

I've walked to Loch Callater Lodge and I don't see any problem with cycling the route, though it may be tough if your not used to it. I cycle with my dogs and would say that Loch Callater would certainly be an option for us to go to by bike (I also have a doggy bike trailer to pull behind me should anything happen so I have to take that into account too).
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:55   
Islands:32

Postby rockhopper » Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:56 pm

gammy - haven't been on this track but some links below may help ?

hils cycled from Auchallater Farm to Loch Callater lodge http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1979

malky went from Loch Callater to Tolmount http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3469

photos of the terrain maybe available via geograph (search function not working at the moment though due to busy period) http://www.geograph.org.uk/

cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Caberfeidh » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:07 pm

The track to Callater is steep to begin with, up from the road at Auchallater Farm in Glen Cluanie (between Braemar and Glen Shee). The gradient settles to fairly level then it is 2-3 miles of flat boringness to Callater Lodge. The track beyond this is very rough, so you might be better leaving your bike behind the lodge if you intend returning that way. Biking is certainly better than walking, as it a weary trudge with the horizon seemingly unchanging for hours...
I haven't been there for years, post photies!
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby scoob999 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:30 pm

It's a good track :D mind you, I got a lift back out :lol:
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby fireman » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:18 pm

[quote="gammy leg walker"]Think I may do Tolmount & Tom Buidhe in the next few days from Glen Callater via the track to Loch Callater and also thinking on taking my bike even though I am no biker,the map suggests a bike is more than possible anyone have any thoughts are more than welcome.

Thanks in advance GLW[/quote
I biked up about 5 year ago and left the bike at the side of the lodge, didn't even bother to lock it up either. Certainly gets you back to the wee car park a lot quicker too
fireman
Mountain Walker

Munros:97   Corbetts:23
Fionas:21   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:31   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion