walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A short stroll up Craigellachie

A short stroll up Craigellachie

Postby malky_c » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:17 pm

Route description: Craigellachie, Aviemore

Date walked: 06/04/2015

Time taken: 1.5 hours

Distance: 4.5 km

Ascent: 290m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hills: Craigellachie
Date: 06/04/2015.
Distance: 4.5km.
Ascent: 290m.
Time taken: 1 hour, 30 minutes.
Weather: Sunny, warm, clear

Before I get around to the mammoth task of writing up this weekend's Arran reports, I might as well post this. We had family up over the easter weekend and they wanted to go swimming. As the pool in Inverness was shut, they opted for the one in the MacDonald Resort in Aviemore. It was too nice a day to spend in the pool to I took a quick stroll up Craigellachie instead, which is conveniently behind the pool. I couldn't find the tunnel under the A9 so ended up crossing it at road level instead.

Creagellachie.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

On the other side, there are good paths around the woodland, including one to the summit.

Woodland behind Aviemore:

The views open up back to Aviemore and the Cairngorms as you get higher.

Aviemore:

Braeriach:

Aviemore and River Spey:

The best views are up Strathspey towards Dalwhinnie. I had thought of leaving the path and making my way over to Geal-charn Mor. It would certainly make a good alternative approach. Keen as I was, I was keener still to get back to Aviemore for dinner at Roo's Leap, so I gave it a miss for today.

Lochan Dubh, Loch Alvie and Loch Insh:

Geal-charn Mor:

Braeriach:

Feshie hills:

I carried on south on a boggier path which ended at another summit. From here it was a rougher descent to the treeline then a steep drop back down through the trees to the A9.

Strathspey lochs again:

Cairngorm:

I managed to pick up the path which led back through the A9 underpass and back to the resort. Then food :) .

Lochan by A9:

A great little viewpoint which I had neglected up to now, and very similar in character to Creag Bheag above Kingussie.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Re: A short stroll up Craigellachie

Postby basscadet » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:56 pm

That looked like a nice little wander. :wink:
We are always looking for wee things to do just off the main road for a rainy day, and this looks perfect, thanks for posting..
Can hardly wait for your Arran reports - hope you had as much fun as Dougie and I did :D
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby Collaciotach » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:43 pm

You 'll no keep Malky off the hill :D

Well spotted chance a bhalaich :clap:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby rockhopper » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:01 pm

Strange to think of the number of times we've been up here on holidays yet have never thought of a walk in this area - looked good for a short jaunt - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Beaner001 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:38 pm

A nice wee wonder that Malky, all the time I've spent in Aviemore and surrounding area and I've never been up that hill :shock: used to earn my keep by jumping on my grans moped to go pick Chanterelle's in all the birch woodland surrounding this area
Cracking view of the big Mountains too :D
Look forward to your Arran adventures :D
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland