walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Best/Most accurate android weather app.

Best/Most accurate android weather app.

Postby Foxy » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:15 pm

Looking for a decent android app or website that provides detailed and accurate weather information.
To be used mainly in Scotland.

Thanks
Foxy
Mountain Walker

Re: Best/Most accurate android weather app.

Postby Essan » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:37 pm

IMO the best weather tool you can have is access to the rainfall radar (I use Netweather's radar) - which tells you where it is raining, how quickly that rain is approaching you, and whether it is a light shower or a day long deluge. Meaning you can make a real time forecast for your specific location rather than relying on what a computer thinks might have happened (which is all most forecasts are - algorithmic interpretations of raw computer model putput). As an amateur weather forecaster, I use model output to get an idea of overal likely conditions this weekend, but radar tells me all I need to know on the day.

Access to MetO 'fax' (synoptic) charts is also useful, if you know how to read them. You can get them on the MWIS website - as well as a real person's interpretation of the computer model output.

Edit: Netweather now have a free android radar app available : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.netweather.stormradar&hl=en_GB
Essan

Munros:98   Corbetts:52
Fionas:7   Donalds:2+0
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:88
Wainwrights:24   Islands:5

Postby jmarkb » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:57 pm

jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby tenohfive » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:57 pm

Essan, NW also have a Snow Radar if it interests you (in fact it came first, before the Storm Radar.) Both very handy day to day when there are bands of rain passing by (in which one town can get a pasting and the next over stays dry.)

For in the hill use though I just use MWIS. No app but it's a lot more mobile friendly than it used to be.
tenohfive

Munros:2   
Hewitts:40
Wainwrights:44   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk