walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Aonach Eagach - East to West April 2015

Aonach Eagach - East to West April 2015

Postby Harko » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:48 pm

Route description: Aonach Eagach

Munros included on this walk: Meall Dearg (Aonach Eagach), Sgòrr nam Fiannaidh (Aonach Eagach)

Date walked: 20/04/2015

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 12.2 km

Ascent: 1273m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having done the West Highland Way a couple of weeks ago, and having been blessed with spectacular weather doing it - I was looking at the conditions in Glencoe as I was travelling from Kingshouse to Kinlochleven, and the urge to have a crack at the Aonach Eagach for my second time was spawned!

The first time I did this was about 3 years ago - I did it in a small group with guides directing us across, it was a fantastic day, and I remember being overwhelmed by it all with a sense of fear and excitement!! When we finished I thought - it's going to be a while before I'd be prepared to have a crack at that on my own... but now after gaining a bit more experience since that epic day, I felt ready to give it a go myself!

The conditions were looking favourable - no threat of rain, a bit of cloud in the morning that was going to clear with brighter spells due in the afternoon. Slowly walking up towards Am Bodach from the car park - I was thinking about some of the parts I'd found tricky last time I did it - nothing specific sprung to mind, although I do remember some of the down-climbing parts being a bit daunting...

When I got to the top of Am Bodach, I met a woman with who I assume was a guide - they had full climbing kit (helmets, harnesses, slings, climbing rack, rope... etc), and the woman asked me if I had my kit in my bag or if I was just going to run across like spiderman??!! I silently gulped - and said I'd just be taking my time, and that it had been a while since I was last up here!! Deep down I was hoping I wouldn't make a fool of myself - ha ha! They pressed on and I had a quick bite to eat before setting off about ten minutes after them...
As I started to descend Am Bodach they were just ahead of me taking their time and they invited me to pass them - I thanked them, and hoped that I wouldn't hold them up as I went ahead of them!

Going down Am Bodach and pressing on towards the scrambling ahead - I was thoroughly enjoying myself. I was still a wee bit nervous, but this time round - my overall feeling was excitement rather than "I dunno if I can do this!"
I managed to make it across quite safely - the conditions were great though and helped me tremendously... there was a few patches of snow up there but no ice, it was ideal. Once I finished I went into the Clachaig Inn for a well earned pint and some food - a fantastic end to a fantastic day!!
Attachments
Pass of Glencoe.jpg
Pass of Glencoe
Looking down from Am Bodach ascent.jpg
Looking down from Am Bodach ascent
The Chancellor.jpg
The Chancellor
The route ahead from Am Bodach.jpg
The route ahead from Am Bodach
Descent from Am Bodach.jpg
Descent from Am Bodach
Beginning of fun scambling.jpg
Beginning of fun scrambling
Patches of snow on route, but no ice....jpg
Patches of snow on route, but thankfully - no ice!!
The Chimney - just like climbing stairs!.jpg
The Chimney - a natural staircase formed in the rock!
Ben Nevis behind the cloud!!.jpg
Ben Nevis hiding behind the clouds!!
Sun trying to break through the cloud in the background.jpg
Sun trying to break through the cloud in the background
Looking back across the ridge.jpg
Looking back across the ridge
Sisters & Bidean.jpg
Sisters & Bidean
The ridge is exposed in places, but very slabby with good holds.jpg
The ridge is exposed in places, but very slabby with plenty to hold on to
More obstacles.jpg
More obstacles!
Looking over towards Bidean.jpg
Looking across the valley
Just a few more obstacles before easy street.jpg
Just a few more obstacles before easy street
Great scrambling line.jpg
Fun scrambling line
One last look back.jpg
One last look back
Ben Nevis reveals herself at last!.jpg
Ben Nevis reveals herself at last!
Sgorr nam Fiannaidh summit.jpg
Sgorr nam Fiannaidh summit
Looking down toward Glencoe on descent.jpg
Looking down toward Glencoe on descent
Harko
Stravaiging

Munros:51   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Re: Aonach Eagach - East to West April 2015

Postby Kevin29035 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:25 am

Nice one! I think I actually just missed you. I went up the south face of the Aonach Eagach and was near the crest when I saw (presumably) you about the start the pinnacles on my left. I passed the girl + guide leaving the summit of Meall Dearg just after. Great day for it and nice not to have the low cloud that was forecast!
Kevin29035

Munros:173   Corbetts:173
Fionas:73   Donalds:17
Sub 2000:92   Hewitts:8

Re: Aonach Eagach - East to West April 2015

Postby Harko » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:57 pm

Kevin29035 wrote:Nice one! I think I actually just missed you. I went up the south face of the Aonach Eagach and was near the crest when I saw (presumably) you about the start the pinnacles on my left. I passed the girl + guide leaving the summit of Meall Dearg just after. Great day for it and nice not to have the low cloud that was forecast!

Might well have been me Kev - I didn't see anybody else heading in that direction when I was out. There was a guy on his own coming up in the opposite direction just as I was heading down - not sure if he was intending in doing the whole travers or not, I think he said he was going up for a look.

It was a great day for it - had an amazing time.
Harko
Stravaiging

Munros:51   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland