walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Strathfarrar 4 from Inverchoran

Strathfarrar 4 from Inverchoran

Postby steven65 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:37 pm

Munros included on this walk: Càrn nan Gobhar (Strathfarrar), Sgùrr a' Choire Ghlais, Sgùrr Fhuar-thuill, Sgùrr na Ruaidhe

Date walked: 28/04/2015

Time taken: 12.36 hours

Distance: 30.3 km

Ascent: 2148m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I`d wanted to do this group of hills for quite some time - but was doubtful if I`d manage to do it in the allotted time due to the access timings at the "gate" .
So I decided to do them from the north - setting off from Inverchoran in Strathconnon. I drove up and slept in the car overnight in the large- ish car park at the end of Loch Beannacharain , awaking to a slight frost at 445 am & a light scattering of snow. Onwards after coffee to Inverchoran some 4km back along the road - it`s quite a good access road . I parked on the grass verge - there`s not a lot of room here & I didn`t want to use a passing place. It was a beautiful morning , a wee bit cold but the sun was rising , blue skies & no cloud - yet. Signs at the drive way welcome walkers & ask for co operation at stalking times etc . At the farm buildings a sign points the way over a bridge & then you have to ford the water again which wasn`t high. The track into Gleann chorainn is easy to follow and wasn`t wet underfoot - the slight frost made it hard & comfortable - better than a bogfest. The route was enjoyable climbing to give a great view back down the glen , which was FULL of deer - I`ve never seen so many in 1 place - very large numbers. Once over the top a bit of height is lost as you drop down to Loch na Caoidhe , the sun was now up and a welcome heat was felt. I headed for the ruined cottage / shieling having my 1st break here trying to shelter from the wind and pick out my route up towards An Gorm-loch & Creag a` Ghormlaich . Again the frost helped here holding up the steps cut into the mainly grassy by the elements , it would have been much harder in the wet or rain. Higher up now at An G-l the wind was fierce from the west making me work harder. I took some fotos here before moving higher up through the rocky face , now dealing with freshly lying snow quite deep in places. It was hard work , I thought I saw a howf or a shelter ahead it was actually a small "shed" housing a TV ariel or some sort of booster ariel for transmitting etc -it was maybe 10ft x 5 ft x 7 ft - big enough to try and shelter in in a bad storm , the wind had blown the door in and some snow was inside , I didn`t linger it was cold in the strong wind. At last I reached Sgurr na Fearstaig in the wind & snow & cold -some quick fots before pressing on. On to Sgurr fhuar thuill the wind behind me pushing me along , I unrolled my Berghaus hood from the collar pulling it over may hat - the R/H side of my face had taken a fair blast from the weather ! I wanted to stop for another break but the weather was quite horrendous now -icy strong wind whipping up snow - I felt happier now my face was better protected , I`d had my snow goggles on since coming up beside An G - loch. The weather was worse than predicted /anticipated & made for a hard day out - I did go to the top of Creag Ghorm a` Bhealaich hoping for a shelter . Thankfully the wind lessened and the snow stopped. Boosted by this Sgurr a` Choire Ghlais seemed a long way away and uphill too ! Nothing else for it but to press on , I did get some decent fotos now the clouds blowing through to the north & east - occasionally south too giving god views.
Eventually I rested on S-a C-G the 1st cairn offered more shelter from the wind , but was deep with fresh wind blown snow. I made do here and enjoyed a rest - something to eat & fleeting views. After a rest the cloud came in as I moved off --- making an error and decending south down towards Coire Glas Mor ........ after 5 mins I knew something was wrong , so I checked & had to re-ascend back to the summit trig in a bitterly strong gale. The next part was the scariest of the day - decending down to the bealach before approaching Carn nan Gobhar - fresh snow was lying quite deep in places all the way down here , I didn't need my crampons but had my axe in hand now just in case - it was a long decent & very testing - mind over matter perhaps. I was glad to reach the bealach Carn nan Gobhar in front looked much easier although the wind was very strong now. The summit approach was difficult in strong wind , deepish snow & ice underfoot amoungst the boulder field. The wind did quite literally blow me along , I could have cried at the though of coming back along this way from Sgurr na Ruaidhe , the better weather from 6 am was long gone & although I enjoyed these hills , I was taking a lot longer than I`d initially thought. I`m not a quick walker..... S nan R topped then back to the bealach trying best to skirt Carn nan G out of the wind- ha ha - not . Boulder fields lying snow & strong wind made for a hellish day , I was glad to drop down towards the track where the Allt Coire na Sg meets the Allt a`Bh Bhig . No more snow , wind lessening , goggles off. Another rest now . the track was rough -but very welcome . I realise my day was far from over . Deer now appeared again 100`s of them !!!!!! it was a joy to approach the wee Loch na Frianich in warm sun . However once over the excellent suspension bridge the climb up on the (good) track is fierce , head down again and push on. Eventually dropping down the other side Inverchoran appeared & my car in the very far off distance at the access drive. Still sun now , blue skies again , a wonderful day out in sometimes very hard conditions . Don`t underestimate this route if you fancy doing it - it`s long , I`m slow albeit "hill fit" , no doubt other folk could be quicker..... overall enjoyable and no access time difficulties. still no fotos here - yet , but on TH via FB 10 fotos at the time.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

steven65
Mountain Walker

Munros:262   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland