walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

King of The Castle on An Caisteal & Beinn A'Chroin

King of The Castle on An Caisteal & Beinn A'Chroin

Postby roscoT » Sun May 24, 2015 11:06 am

Route description: An Caisteal and Beinn a'Chròin, near Crianlarich

Munros included on this walk: An Caisteal, Beinn a' Chròin

Date walked: 23/05/2015

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 14.3 km

Ascent: 1095m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Slowly and cautiously moving further North with the peaks - the next stop was the Crianlarich Munros. Far from it from me to tackle all 7 in a day (well done/you are mental to anyone who has), thought I would at least start off with an interesting couple in the shape of An Caisteal and Beinn A'Chroin.

Forecast had said clear skies and sunshine in the morning, so the earlier the better. With this in mind, I left Glasgow at 6.45, arriving at the layby just south of Crianlarich, which was still quiet, shortly after 8.

ImageIMG_2176 by Ross Thomson, on Flickr
Sron Gharbh from the layby

Even at this time, it was already warm. Got going across the field and under the railway, to my surprise into what was essentially a building site, with an access road down the side of the River Falloch stretching a couple of miles. This is not noted on the Walkhighlands route, so I take it these are recent works. Not sure if anyone can shed any light on this, but I'm assuming some sort of engineering as I saw a lot of large pipes lying about? A real shame as it completely blots the landscape of the valley.

ImageIMG_2177 by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

Walked past an older couple after crossing the bridge and then left the access road about a kilometre later (no point in looking for a path, because there isn't one) to the right, aiming diagonally to the top of Sron Gharbh. The going is tough and boggy over lumpy ground, would suggest it is easier to walk up instead to the fence and turn 90 degrees to the right. The fleece was off in no time, perspiration flying off me, and the views back towards Crianlarich, Ben Oss, Beinn Dubhchraig and Ben Lui were fine. I saw another couple ahead of me, however the next time I looked up they were behind me, such was the 'every man for himself' way of the initially pathless ascent!

ImageIMG_2180 by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

ImageIMG_2181 by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

ImageIMG_2185 by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

ImageIMG_2190 by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

Once the top of Sron Gharbh is reached, a clear path becomes visible, winding up over Twistin Hill towards 'The Castle' (I found out this is actually the name of the sticky oot bit of rock that is visible from below, not the actual summit which is a wee bit behind it). The going was a lot easier up here, and there were great views back over the Tyndrum hills, with the pyramid of Beinn Dorain prominent. The shape of Beinn Chabhair on the right also became visible. It was still warm, although more bearable, and a panorama opened up of all Crianlarich munros.

ImageIMG_2191 by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

ImageIMG_2193 by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

ImageIMG_2197 by Ross Thomson, on Flickr
All 7 Crianlarich Munros - from left to right: Ben More, Stob Binnein, Cruach Ardain, Beinn Tulaichean, Beinn A'Chroin, An Caisteal and Beinn Chabhair. Path up An Caisteal is clearly visible.

ImageIMG_2199 by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

I really enjoyed this part of the walk, with the only part of any difficulty a deep cleft near 'The Castle' in the rock which is easily negotiated. The Castle itself is negotiated awkwardly round to left hand side, after which the summit is a short jaunt.

ImageIMG_2208 by Ross Thomson, on Flickr
The giant's cleft

ImageIMG_2211 by Ross Thomson, on Flickr
Around The Castle

Surprisingly, there was barely a breath of wind on the summit, but it is a great viewpoint over the trossachs to the east, the Ben Lui and Cruachan ranges to the east, and the other Crianlarich munros as well as the Tyndrum hills to the North/Northwest.

ImageIMG_2214 by Ross Thomson, on Flickr
Summit and Cruach Ardrain looking magnificent behind

ImageIMG_2216 by Ross Thomson, on Flickr
Summit and Lui range

I sat for a good 10 minutes just looking around before the couple I had overtaken caught up. They were up from Durham for a 3 day expedition, and were planning to do all 7 in the range in those 3 days. Sat and chatted to them for another 10, had a bite to eat, then it was time to go. They were the last people I saw before I was back at the river. Toyed with the idea of doing Beinn Chabhair, but didn't like the look of the potential route up, so descended to the bealach below Beinn A'Chroin. The descent down to the bealach is fairly steep, and I happened to come across a male ptarmigan (second spot in as many months) on the way down.

ImageIMG_2220 by Ross Thomson, on Flickr
Spot the ptarmigan

ImageIMG_2227 by Ross Thomson, on Flickr
From whence I came - An Caisteal from the bealach

The ascent to Beinn A'Chroin from here is pretty interesting. The path goes round to the right of the buttress, and presents one semi-difficult bit of scrambling - good upper-arm strength needed for one particular step.

ImageIMG_2228 by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

ImageIMG_2231 by Ross Thomson, on Flickr
Tricky wee section

Anyway, in what seemed like no time I was on the summit plateau. The sun was still beating down, and as I thought about how my pasty skin might be in a spot of bother, the sun partially disappeared - who says there's not a god of hillwalking?

As mentioned in the route, there are a few separate summit cairns (I counted 3 - one at each end of the plateau and one in the middle). The true one is (apparently) the one in the centre of the plateau. The views down the falloch valley and over the back to the trossachs are stunning.

ImageIMG_2235 by Ross Thomson, on Flickr
The western summit, looking east towards the trossachs

ImageIMG_2237 by Ross Thomson, on Flickr
The middle [true] summit of Beinn A'Chroin, looking northwest

ImageIMG_2242 by Ross Thomson, on Flickr
Eastern summit, at the end of the plateau, and the falloch valley

I had lunch here in blissful silence and could have gone for a wee nap. It was about 11.30 and the forecast was for rain in mid-afternoon, which I was keen to avoid, so instead set off on the descent. The path is fairly obvious from the eastern edge of the plateau, down a broad ridge, although care must be taken on the steeper sections, as I almost found out to my cost - luckily a sore arse was the only outcome.

ImageIMG_2246 by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

ImageIMG_2248 by Ross Thomson, on Flickr
The way doon

ImageIMG_2250 by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

Aim for a confluence of two streams to cross over, the path is fairly obvious. It was really boggy down here though, and despite having high boots I still managed to get wet feet, nearly losing both boot and foot in heavy, peaty quicksand at one point.

ImageIMG_2251 by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

ImageIMG_2253 by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

The falloch really is a pretty wee river, and the lure of the clear pools was just too much of a temptation for my burning feet.

ImageIMG_2256 by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

Best bet from here is to stay as close to the river as possible to avoid the worst of the bog. I rejoined the access road at the end, next to where a sheep had recently met an unfortunate end. Was back at the layby (which by this point was mobbed) in just under 5 hours, and was able to feel at least a little bit smug as I saw the Loch Lomond holiday weekend tailbacks going the other way on the way home.

ImageIMG_2258 by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

ImageIMG_2252 by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

ImageIMG_2263 by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

An Caisteal and Beinn A'Chroin.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

roscoT
Mountain Walker

Munros:188   Corbetts:33
Fionas:20   Donalds:37
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:5   Islands:15

Re: King of The Castle on An Caisteal & Beinn A'Chroin

Postby teaandpies » Sun May 24, 2015 11:22 am

That building site is fairly new. I'm sure I'll be corrected if wrong here but I think it's something to do with a hydro electric scheme.

I wasn't sure if you could still park at that lay-by but I guess you can.

I walked these hills a few years back, your report brought back good memories. :clap:
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Munros:116   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:6

Postby roscoT » Sun May 24, 2015 11:51 am

teaandpies wrote:That building site is fairly new. I'm sure I'll be corrected if wrong here but I think it's something to do with a hydro electric scheme.

I wasn't sure if you could still park at that lay-by but I guess you can.

I walked these hills a few years back, your report brought back good memories. :clap:

Hi teaandpies, many thanks for the reply and feedback. Just had a wee search online there, and you are right, hydroelectric:

http://www.lochlomond-trossachs.org/loo ... d-483.html

That was my first thought, but then there's not a great deal of water, so wondered if they were looking to damn it or something, but apparently it's a 'run off river' scheme, whatever that means (shows what little I know about engineering). I know the scheme will ultimately be useful and worthwhile, just seems a bit of a shame given the nice surrounds. Hopefully they will clean it all up and it won't be too noticeable once complete.
roscoT
Mountain Walker

Postby teaandpies » Sun May 24, 2015 3:15 pm

The field between lay-by and railway underpass was a total bog when I was there so I hope they leave the road! There was always a road that ran up by the burn but it was a farm track.
4.jpg
Farm Track

I really enjoyed this walk, we got good weather as well but you took far better pictures than I did.

18.jpg
Look back up the glen

I look forward to your Cruach and Stob report :lol:
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Postby roscoT » Sun May 24, 2015 3:46 pm

Ah right I see! Oh well, not too much damage done then, although there was a hella lot of digging! I noticed a lot of deforestation on the other side of the valley, not sure if they are linked? Thanks for sharing your pics too.

Thanks for clearing everything up bud. Cruach and Stob are indeed next on the hit list! :?
roscoT
Mountain Walker

Postby teaandpies » Sun May 24, 2015 4:11 pm

I walked Cruach back in 2010 as well I think. I actually can't believe we didn't go on to Stob, I was gutted that day and what's made things worse is I've never had the chance to get back up there.

We jumped the burn and walked up the side of the fence and at the time there was a lot of trees but they had started to give them the chop as you can just see from the edge of the pic.
6.jpg

We jumped the burn but as you can see from the picture there was a bridge to cross...stupid us.
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Postby roscoT » Tue May 26, 2015 11:11 am

Cheers, that's really useful info. Think WH suggests doing Cruach from Inverlochalrig instead, although this involves a much longer drive, so I'd definitely rather do it from the river. :D
roscoT
Mountain Walker

Postby teaandpies » Tue May 26, 2015 2:24 pm

roscoT wrote:Cheers, that's really useful info. Think WH suggests doing Cruach from Inverlochalrig instead, although this involves a much longer drive, so I'd definitely rather do it from the river. :D

Well, I can't say if the WH walk is better or not but there is a path from the river all the way to Beinn Tulaichean. I think the WH one might be easier and shorter.

Getting up from the river is the hard part as it's steep but once up you are pretty much straight forward from here. The path just snakes along the rest of the hill.
26.jpg

The weather was bad when we were there and at parts it was boggy but there are some great views and there's a gnarly little ridge to navigate. It short but you wouldn't want to fall :shock:
18.jpg

There's a path all the way to Cruach Ardrain. You will get to a point where the path splits and goes right for Beinn Tulaichean. It's very obvious.

Like I said, I've only done that walk and can't comment on the other. When are you planning on doing these hills?
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Postby roscoT » Tue May 26, 2015 3:36 pm

Brilliant, thanks for all that!

Was hoping to go this weekend coming, but a quick spy at the early forecast suggests I might be wise not to! Failing that, will go weekend of 13th June.
roscoT
Mountain Walker

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland