walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

No cloud to all cloud & interesting folk on Feshie Corbett

No cloud to all cloud & interesting folk on Feshie Corbett

Postby dogplodder » Sun May 24, 2015 5:55 pm

Route description: Leathad an Taobhain and Càrn Dearg Mòr

Corbetts included on this walk: Càrn Dearg Mòr

Date walked: 23/05/2015

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Arrived at Achlean at 8.10 to find car park already half full and brilliant blue skies showing why that might be the case
DSC_2947-large.JPG

A glorious May morning
DSC_2951-large.JPG

Passed round the back of Achlean Farm
DSC_2952-large.JPG

Good path
DSC_2953-large.JPG

Balancing on rocks got us across the burn with dry boots then we followed the path towards the bridge over the Feshie.

DSC_2956-large.JPG

River Feshie from bridge
DSC_2958-large.JPG

We turned left along the tarmac road and the first folk we met were interesting because one was on a bike and the other was walking - but they were together. We got chatting and it turned out they were teachers supervising a Duke of Ed group camping further up the glen. Not far behind them came the first of the happy campers after a pleasant night camping on the grassy area at the foot of the track up Slochd Mor. One of the girls we spoke to was most enthusiastic showing us photos she had taken of the resident ponies there. As retired teachers Moira and I were impressed by the politeness and friendliness of all the kids we met - a credit to their Inverness school. :D

Group of D of E kids suddenly appearing in my photo
DSC_2965-large.JPG

Glen Feshie has many stately old pines
DSC_2966-large.JPG

Tarmac road runs parallel to river
DSC_2972-large.JPG

Carnachuin Cottages
DSC_2973-large.JPG

The road passes in front of the cottages at Carnachuin and soon we saw the remains of the bridge that was swept away in 2009. Walkhighlands says hopefully it was to be replaced in 2010 - but there's not much sign of that happening any time soon.

Remains of bridge
DSC_2974-large.JPG

At the entrance to Glen Feshie Lodge (marked private) we took the left fork, at which point the road surface changed from well maintained tarmac to gravel.

Glen Feshie Lodge - and still not a cloud in the sky
DSC_2977-large.JPG

Field where D of E kids camped - and first sign of cloud
DSC_2980-large.JPG

Take right fork at this tree to head for the Slochd Mor pass
DSC_2981-large.JPG

Slochd Mor
DSC_2983-large.JPG

Lochan an t'Sluic
DSC_2985-large.JPG

At the top of the pass we took the right fork heading up Carn Dearg Mor (the big red hill). On the track zig-zagging up we spotted a tiny figure ahead of us, who turned out to be Gordie12 off this site.

DSC_2989-large.JPG

We saw Gordie take the short cut up the faint path through the heather and did likewise which for me anyway was a relief to the feet after so long walking on a hard surface. Then we followed the track to the top meeting Gordie coming back down and heading home by the way he'd come so he could take some more photos in Glen Feshie. It was only after reading your report I realised who you were - but good to chat and any photo I post that looks like yours just goes to show we both have a good eye for a good picture! :lol:

Summit (M's pic)
1397240_10153279827953788_8712929820713655988_o-large.jpg

By the time we reached the top it was cold enough to don jackets and gloves and the sky was mysteriously completely grey (though cloud cover was high so we could still see a distance). But where had the blue sky and sun gone? I'd been too busy concentrating on the climb to notice the cloud coming in but the speed of the transformation from wall to wall blue to wall to wall grey was striking - and without me noticing until it had happened. As a friend commented later there must be a parable in that. 8)

Angel's Peak and Cairn Toul from summit
DSC_3001-large.JPG

Ben Alder hills
DSC_2999-large.JPG

From the summit we followed the WH route down the ridge, north east at first then north with views of Badenoch and Strathspey ahead.

Track heading north east from summit
DSC_3000-large.JPG

Moira reading WH blurb over coffee
DSC_3002-large.JPG

It was on the windy side to stop for coffee at the top but lower down we found some shelter and with time on our side we sat there for a while until we heard voices approaching. As we got up to get going the owners of the voices caught up - a couple on holiday from Somerset who had cycled up the glen. We got talking, discovered they were teachers too and shared our enthusiasm for the Highlands. We walked together to where they had stashed their bikes and they asked which walks we'd recommend so we told them about this site and hope they were able to access it okay! What a pleasure to meet such a lovely couple and we wish them well with all their future plans.

Moira with Robin and Claire
DSC_3003-large.JPG

Track leading back down to floor of Glen Feshie
DSC_3005-large.JPG

Robin and Claire picked up their bikes and we waved them off to make a speedier exit from the glen that we would. As we walked on towards the bridge we saw another large camping group pitching tents close to the river and at the bridge itself three lads who asked me to take their photo with a very expensive piece of kit which was a privilege to hold in my hands! There were others camping there who had cycled in. What a busy place Glen Feshie was yesterday - but not surprising considering it was fine weather and the bank holiday weekend.

By the time we reached the burn again my feet were so hot and sweaty I decided not to repeat any wet rock balancing to cross and put on the old sandals I'd brought "just in case". It was a momentary shock to immerse feet in cold water but after that sheer bliss!

Tonic for tired feet
11111965_10153279830168788_7619245567518820989_n-large.jpg

All in all a brilliant day. :D
Last edited by dogplodder on Mon May 25, 2015 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: No cloud to all cloud & interesting folk on Feshie Corbe

Postby Gordie12 » Sun May 24, 2015 8:25 pm

A very sociable walk dogplodder!!

I think I maybe chatted to the same girl (from the DofE group) close to their campsite - she was very enthusiastic about the cuckoo we could hear.

Must have been a busy road between 7 and 8.15am, only one other car in the car park when I arrived.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby Fife Flyer » Sun May 24, 2015 9:44 pm

Enjoyed reading that :clap: Teachers are everywhere, I'm even married to one :lol:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby Silverhill » Sun May 24, 2015 9:46 pm

Gosh, those blue skies, has summer arrived, at least for 1 day? Lovely pictures of Glen Feshie! 8)
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby AnnieMacD » Sun May 24, 2015 11:56 pm

That was a real treat to read! You are always so enthusiastic yourself - that's why you see it in others.

Same thing happened to me yesterday with the weather. All of a sudden from beautiful sunshine to a totally grey sky. But I got caught in the rain too.
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby Beaner001 » Mon May 25, 2015 10:34 am

Really love Glen Feshie, like Gordies report you too do it complete justice with fab report and pics :clap: .
Only 200 more Corbetts to go :D
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby dogplodder » Mon May 25, 2015 3:14 pm

Gordie12 wrote:A very sociable walk dogplodder!!

I think I maybe chatted to the same girl (from the DofE group) close to their campsite - she was very enthusiastic about the cuckoo we could hear.

Must have been a busy road between 7 and 8.15am, only one other car in the car park when I arrived.

Wouldn't want to be going the other way at that time then! :-|
dogplodder

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Tue May 26, 2015 7:57 am

Lovely report, Glen Feshie is a stunning place not surprising it was so busy. Thanks for the reminder about carrying saddles, that looked so refreshing :lol:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue May 26, 2015 8:36 am

That looks a nice walk, maybe a bit hard on the feet though, and not too wet underneath even after this wet spell, i must head up there soon to pick these two off soon as iv'e not been on that side of the river before. Tarmac, track and well worn path for most of the way.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby BlackPanther » Tue May 26, 2015 9:13 am

I can never tire of Glen Feshie photos :D
Saturday morning was gorgeous, pure blue sky for the first time since April, I think? We took the opportunity to bag Carn na Saobhaidhe, a similar walk, long and on a track all the way to the summit, but nowhere near as scenic...
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby Mal Grey » Tue May 26, 2015 11:45 am

Lovely report.

Often we go into the hills to get away from it all, but sometimes its the folk we meet who share our love of the outdoors who make a trip a bit more memorable.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby dogplodder » Thu May 28, 2015 11:36 am

Fife Flyer wrote:Enjoyed reading that :clap: Teachers are everywhere, I'm even married to one :lol:

Thanks FF. Teachers rock. :shh:
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Thu May 28, 2015 11:40 am

Silverhill wrote:Gosh, those blue skies, has summer arrived, at least for 1 day? Lovely pictures of Glen Feshie! 8)

Half a day SH - then back to winter. :wink:
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Sat May 30, 2015 11:16 am

AnnieMacD wrote:
Same thing happened to me yesterday with the weather. All of a sudden from beautiful sunshine to a totally grey sky. But I got caught in the rain too.

Not a drop for us until we were back in the car. :clap:
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Sat May 30, 2015 11:18 am

Beaner001 wrote:
Only 200 more Corbetts to go :D

:lol:
dogplodder

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland