walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stumble into the fairy forest...

Stumble into the fairy forest...

Postby allymacp » Sun May 24, 2015 7:21 pm

Route description: Puck's Glen

Date walked: 04/05/2015

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Part of me thought I wouldn't put anything up about this walk - it was so beautiful I wanted to keep it to myself! If theres a top secret places in Scotland list, this walk would be on mine. Theres not so much to describe in terms of the walk, but hopefully the photos do it some justice.

We arrived a Pucks Glen with conditions absolutely perfect. The sun was out and there was blue skies overhead, but importantly it had been raining most of the week. The suns rays were sent straight through the water droplets collecting on the moss and the whole place shimmered.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Parking up at Pucks Glen car park, we headed straight up the path in front of us. This isn't the correct way though and you should head along northwards on the gravel road until you reach the bridge to the beginning of Pucks Glen. Having said that, it's a wonderful place regardless of which way you walk.

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

We followed the path as it weaves and winds over the hillside and though the forest, up and up until the halfway point where a signpost advises of the paths to the lower and upper Pucks Glen. We now joined the path proper and headed up the upper part. There was no-one around and even for this 30 year old, the place is simply magical. Countless waterfalls and winds in the gorge the walk is a hell of a lot of fun. We walked up to the point where the path goes off to the open hillside below Cnoc a Mhadhaidh, and rather than taking one of the options to descend we went back the way we came. I stopped for photos at every turn. It is hands down one of the most photogenic places I've ever been too and every step and turn is wonderful.

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

We went back down the lower part of the glen that we missed and it was more of the same, bridges, waterfalls, nooks and crannies galore.

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

We dillied and dallied back to the car enjoying every minute, and did the loop in roughly an hour and a half.

I would perhaps recommend parking at Benmore Botanical Gardens and walking from there instead, just to increase the length of the walk - next time!
allymacp
Mountain Walker

Munros:147   Corbetts:23
Fionas:14   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:10   

Re: Stumble into the fairy forest...

Postby Silverhill » Sun May 24, 2015 9:47 pm

What a beautiful and enchanting place! It calls for a visit me thinks. :D
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:7   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby allymacp » Sun May 24, 2015 11:57 pm

Cheers Silverhill! I cant recommend it enough if you're over that way.
allymacp
Mountain Walker

Postby onsen » Mon May 25, 2015 2:23 am

Lovely walk.....allymacp.
onsen
Munro compleatist

Postby allymacp » Mon May 25, 2015 4:48 pm

onsen wrote:Lovely walk.....allymacp.

Cheers Onsen! :D
allymacp
Mountain Walker

Postby Mal Grey » Tue May 26, 2015 10:56 am

Lovely. Thanks for sharing.

Can't beat a special place like that, somewhere you can just quietly take it in, without having to keep to schedules and targets as we so often do in the mountains. And I know what you mean about not being sure about sharing it...I have a similar feeling from some of my canoeing trips which I post on another forum.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby allymacp » Tue May 26, 2015 9:39 pm

Mal Grey wrote:Lovely. Thanks for sharing.

Can't beat a special place like that, somewhere you can just quietly take it in, without having to keep to schedules and targets as we so often do in the mountains. And I know what you mean about not being sure about sharing it...I have a similar feeling from some of my canoeing trips which I post on another forum.

Thanks Mal Grey! I guess on here we're all one and the same, seeking out the new places, sharing (and not! :wink: )
allymacp
Mountain Walker

Postby mi5kim » Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:24 pm

Well thanks for sharing, reading your post has convinced me to go,it sounds magical & I'm gonna go tomorrow, I'll start at botanic gardens like suggested. Can u tell me will it tk me bk out close to carpark again? Ty. :D
mi5kim
Hill Bagger

Munros:4   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland