walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Loch Quoich, before and after Skye

Loch Quoich, before and after Skye

Postby simon-b » Mon May 25, 2015 10:12 pm

Munros included on this walk: Gairich, Gleouraich, Sgùrr a' Mhaoraich, Spidean Mialach

Date walked: 13/05/2015

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Five of us, Jimmy, Karen, Martin, Andy and myself had booked a five day course with Skye guide Paddy McGuire to climb the Cuillin Munros from May 15 to 19. Weather conditions meant that we managed 8 out of the 12, and the story has already been well told on this site via reports by my companions. So here is a quick review of the days before and after that adventure.

I was hoping to climb Gairich on Monday 12, but the weather wasn't good. For something to do, I drove to Kinloch Hourn. While having a cup of tea at the farm house, a soaking walker turned up with no ruck sack. He'd slipped into a raging burn on the way from Barrisdale, and had to let his pack go to be able to climb out :shock:. This made me feel staying off the hills had been the right decision. Driving back along the glen to my accomodation in Inchlaggan, I encountered Jimmy in his van heading the other way. He too had looked at Gairich and decided against it. He also managed to contact Karen, so all three of us went for it the next day, in better conditions.

13/5/15: Gairich, climbed with Jimmy and Karen

2015-05-13_0806 165km.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Distance: 16.5 km
Ascent: 952 m
Time: 6.25 h

P5130004.JPG
Gairich from Loch Quoich

P5130007.JPG
Jimmy and Karen moving towards the target

P5130018.JPG
Loch Quoich, Sgurr a' Mhaoraich and Glen Shiel hills from Gairich

P5130019.JPG
Karen and Jimmy on Gairich; Ben Tee in the background

P5130020.JPG
Ladhar Bheinn and Beinn Sgritheall in the distance, from Gairich

P5130024.JPG
Jimmy and Karen descending

14/5/15: Sgurr a' Mhaoraich, climbed by all five of us

2015-05-14_0835 131km.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Distance: 13.2 km
Ascent: 991 m
Time: 5.5 h

This was a good day for building teamwork. First lesson in working together was to decide which way we were going. As I set off following the Cameron McNeish route, everyone else seemed to be following the WH route descrition in reverse :?. Anyway, the C McM route ascends the hill the same way as the WH route the regular way round, so 2 to 1 said we all headed up via the SE ridge. We agreed to descend using the south ridge, as this should save time and energy, with the drive to Skye ahead that night and the assault on the Cuillin due to begin the following day.

P5140027.JPG
Looking towards Sgurr na Ciche, early during the ascent

P5140036.JPG
En route to Sgurr a' Mhaoraich

P5140038.JPG
Looking towards Knoydart from the summit

P5140039.JPG
Sgurr na Ciche range from the summit

P5140047.JPG
Descending via the south ridge

15-19/5/15: Skye

Here are just a few photos to add to the fine stories told by my companions...

P5160077.JPG
Looking back to Clach Glas during the ascent of Bla Bheinn

P5180096.JPG
Sgurr nan Gillean and Am Basteir (neither conquered on this mission) plus tooth

P5180112.JPG
Martin, emerging from the NW ridge of Bruach na Frithe

P5180115.JPG
Paddy

P5190135.JPG
Loch Coir' a' Ghrunnda and Sgurr Alasdair

P5190156.JPG
This will have to wait until next time!

20/5/15: Spidean Mialach and Gleouraich, climbed with Andy

2015-05-20.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Distance: 12 km
Ascent 1272 m
Time: 5.5 h

By the Wednesday, everyone had gone home apart from Andy and me, who had booked to stay a few nights in Fort William and Corpach respectively. So the two of us decided to re-visit Loch Quoich en-route. We arrived approaching midday, so quickly got started - and missed the path leaving the road towards Spidean Mialach! My mistake (I'll have to take the blame this time :oops: ) was soon rectitfied, and we were up and down with time to get to our destinations and settle into our accommodation.

P5200162.JPG
Andy heading for Spidean Mialach

P5200165.JPG
Looking back to Loch Fearna and Loch Quoich while ascending

P5200167.JPG
Loch Loyne from Spidean Mialach

P5200175.JPG
Approaching Gleouraich

P5200180.JPG
Dropping down towards Loch Quoich

Back at the cars, we didn't want to hang around before setting off to FW and Corpach, so I spent less time than usual sorting out my gear (Martin calls it "dithering"). This lack of attention to detail meant I forgot to reset my GPS, and the track showed the whole journey to Corpach as well as the walk. Hundreds of extra waypoints, making the route map a pain to edit later :( . But we were soon on our way through Invergarry, ready for a few more days in the West Highlands.

Thanks very much to Jimmy, Karen, Martin and Andy for the company during this expedition. Let's look forward to more adventures in the future. And thanks to Paddy for his support, and the confidence he gave us all.
Last edited by simon-b on Tue May 26, 2015 7:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Re: Loch Quoich, before and after Skye

Postby AJNicholls » Tue May 26, 2015 12:42 am

Cheers Simon. Enjoyed all these days, was great!
AJNicholls
Mountain Walker

Munros:182   Corbetts:11
Donalds:1
Hewitts:231
Wainwrights:214   Islands:3

Postby simon-b » Tue May 26, 2015 7:09 am

AJNicholls wrote:Cheers Simon. Enjoyed all these days, was great!

Thanks Andy, the night owl as always! I pressed the Submit button, when I was meaning to press Preview :oops: , so you've read the incomplete version before I had chance to edit. The job's done now!
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:36 am

Looks like you had a very productive trip Simon, glad to see you got some decent weather on Skye and either side of it. We've just been to Skye for a week and climbed nothing :( Still our luck had to run out sooner or later.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby basscadet » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:15 am

Looked brilliant, the area around Loch Quoich is so beautiful.. Shame you didn't get the weather you hoped for on Skye, but good excuse to go back repeatedly :wink: :lol:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland