walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bike Track

Bike Track

Postby ancancha » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:51 pm

Route description: The Mell circuit, Glen Finglas

Date walked: 31/05/2015

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 26.8 km

Ascent: 507m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Glen Finglas Moutain Bike.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Been for quite a few low level walks on really good tracks lately which lend themselves more to mountain biking rather than walking and finally decided to get a mountain bike again to enjoy some of them.
So duly set out from the car park next to the Brig O'Turk Tea Room on said bike.

I wanted to see the dam, so detoured up to the left to check it out. A run off with steps :!:

Dam.jpg

It's equally as impressive from the top

Dam Top.jpg

A view up the Glen from the dam top

View up Glen from Dam.jpg

Heavy engineering sight seeing over; back down and onto the road out to the loop. It's very easy going to start with on a tarmac road, although there is a steep climb up to just above the level of the loch.
Picturesque if undramatic view looking back to the dam

looking back to dam.jpg

The road undulates along the loch side.
The view up to the head of the loch showing the home road round the west side of Meall Cala

head of the loch.jpg

The view up Gleann nam Meann which is where the track leads

Glean nam meann.jpg

Looking back at the bobble hillside of Meall Reamhar

meall reamhar.jpg

It's a reasonably steep climb in places and being a bit unfit and overweight at the moment I got off and pushed the bike up the steep bits.
Still there were some really nice stretches of cruising along 8)

Wasn't long before I met some of the locals, the rest of the herd were just along the track

Glen Finglas cattle.jpg

The track really starts to climb upwards now towards the pass, more pushing :roll:

Glen Finglas upwards.jpg

Got to the crest of this rise and scarred off some deer, there were plenty, but they moved quick every time I got within sight and they always saw me or smelt me first.
Did manage to get this zoom from afar

Glen Finglas deer.jpg

Heading west now up to the top of the pass, it had started to rain; showery rain, but pretty heavy.
A pity, views or the surrounding hills would have been appreciated

Five minutes later and it is full on sleet :!: it's more or less June :!:
It isn't on for long thankfully, although it would come and go more or less all the way from now on.
The track steepens again although now the sleet has abated the views are quite interesting. I can see where Loch Finglas gets all its water, or at least the two main rivers which feed it; it is peat hag mountain from what I can see, so will be saturated for most of the year.

Glen Finglas on up to pass.jpg

Looking North

Glen Finglas looking north.jpg

Finally made it to the cairn which marks the top of the pass.
If you are missing a tammy with a red bobble this would be a good place to start your search

Glen Finglas red tammy.jpg

Nice view back from the cairn, I'm sure the more proficient will be able to accurately identify the peaks

Glen Finglas north east from the cairn.jpg

From now on enjoy the ride, it is a nice long feather the brakes (unless you are mad, very brave, very talented, or a combination) downhill.
Stopped at the first hairpin as the herd of deer made their get away and took a photo across to what can only be Ben Venue, note the next shower blowing in.

Glen Finglas Ben Venue.jpg

Some interesting rocky outcrops on the walls at the top of the Glen as the track head down; sometimes quite steeply :D

Glen Finglas jaggy rocks.jpg

The view of Loch Finglas opens up

Glen Finglas gully.jpg

as the gully snakes its way round and down 'through the rain' to the bridge across Finglas Water

Glen Finglas bridge.jpg

Sped on along the track and surprised another herd of deer, guess they weren't expecting humans to close on them so quietly at 35kph :lol: anyway they soon cottoned on and bounded off across the track about 10m in front of me, quite close 8)
Sorry no picks, if I do it again I'll get a helmet with a gopro.

Back along the loch side road in the rainy gloom; haven't modern mountain bike designers heard of mud guards :?:
Anyway it's still pretty easy going despite the spray.

Glen Finglas home road.jpg

A view with a moon

Glen Finglas view with a moon.jpg

A couple of geese were giving it very vocal, so I stopped to take a photo

Glen Finglas geese.jpg

and found myself next to the stone compass with thought for the day

Glen Finglas thought for the day.jpg

Heading back a few sheep were stuck between two gates, perhaps the farmer has singled them out for some macabre ritual :lol: Guess if they were goats I'd be a bit more concerned, but made a great photo, so couldn't resist

Glen Finglas sheep moon.jpg

A last look back before zooming down the very well surfaced tarmac road to the Tea Room and car
Glen Finglas enclosure.jpg

I guess this would be a pleasant walk, but doing it on a mountain bike definitely added a lot more fun :wink:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Re: Bike Track

Postby Aldo_2M0TXY » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:13 pm

Thanks for taking the time to share the route. I'm picking up a new mountain bike on Saturday and this looks like a perfect outing for me to get to know the bike. I'll be doing it on Monday so here's hoping the weather is fine!

Cheers,

Aldo.
Aldo_2M0TXY
Mountaineer

Munros:4   Corbetts:5
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Aldo_2M0TXY » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:17 pm

Cycled it today (Monday 13 July 2015).

I chose a slightly different route and made my way from the visitor centre car park just outside Brog O' Turk.
Very steep in places, I was pushing a lot.
I then took the circuit in the opposite direction to your route, BAD MOVE, very steep in places and I was pushing a lot.
Enjoyable all the same but not looking forward to the pain tomorrow :-)

Aldo.
Aldo_2M0TXY
Mountaineer

Munros:4   Corbetts:5
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:2   

Postby ancancha » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:02 am

Thanks for taking the time to share the route. I'm picking up a new mountain bike on Saturday and this looks like a perfect outing for me to get to know the bike. I'll be doing it on Monday so here's hoping the weather is fine!

Cheers,

Aldo.

You're welcome :D

Aldo_2M0TXY wrote:Cycled it today (Monday 13 July 2015).

I chose a slightly different route and made my way from the visitor centre car park just outside Brog O' Turk.
Very steep in places, I was pushing a lot.
I then took the circuit in the opposite direction to your route, BAD MOVE, very steep in places and I was pushing a lot.
Enjoyable all the same but not looking forward to the pain tomorrow :-)

Aldo.

It would have been very tough going that way round :!:

Theres great mountain biking on the landrover tracks around Glen Tilt

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=52714

Enjoy 8)
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Postby Markh1968 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:37 am

Great report and has given me a reason to get the bike out on Sunday. Have been planning to do this walk for a long time, but think biking it will be more fun. Like you, I thunk I will be pushing a fair bit :o
Markh1968
Mountaineer

Munros:14   
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:11   

Postby ancancha » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:49 pm

Markh1968 wrote:Great report and has given me a reason to get the bike out on Sunday. Have been planning to do this walk for a long time, but think biking it will be more fun. Like you, I thunk I will be pushing a fair bit :o

Biking it was a lot of fun, :wink:
Enjoy your day :D
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Postby Gordie12 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:13 pm

Hi ancancha

Missed this 1st time round.

Having walked up Ben Ledi and Benvane in the last couple of months I was looking over in this direction quite a lot thinking it looked interesting, it does!!

Might make for a good winter walk.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby ancancha » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:09 pm

Gordie12 wrote:Hi ancancha

Missed this 1st time round.

Having walked up Ben Ledi and Benvane in the last couple of months I was looking over in this direction quite a lot thinking it looked interesting, it does!!

Might make for a good winter walk.

Would be a lovely winter walk Gordie12 :wink:
And although I didn't avail of the tearoom, expect it would be a very pleasant end of day coffee and a scone :D
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Postby dogplodder » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:34 am

That looks a good circuit with or without a bike - and I like your shot of sheep and moon! 8)
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby ancancha » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:43 am

dogplodder wrote:That looks a good circuit with or without a bike - and I like your shot of sheep and moon! 8)

Cheers Dogplodder :D
The photo of the sheep and the moon was a classic :lol:

It would be a really nice walk or cycle and not to high or exposed anywhere, so good at any time of year; though I suspect the pass at the top would drift in very quickly in a snow storm :!:

Tea room at the end to feed your own personal flock 8)
ancancha
Mountain Walker

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland