walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Skye Sgurr nan Eag

Skye Sgurr nan Eag

Postby steven65 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:46 pm

Route description: Southern Cuillin and Coire Ghrunnda

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr nan Eag

Date walked: 14/06/2015

Time taken: 8.15 hours

Distance: 13.91 km

Ascent: 1288m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Booked up last year to stay at a cottage in Fiskavaig to celebrate my 50th , a bit of R & R - after a chaotic week - 2 weeks previously in Vegas - a pre 50th big bash..............
Sgurr nan Eag - no where had i read previously that perhaps dogs should not be taken up on the Cullin.

Although not a true TR - if you do read this do youself a favour and leave the dog at home.
This turned out to be the only good day weather wise we had in 7 days. Bummer. Its a nice walk in from Glen Brittle campsite on a good path way , gradually gaining height - with ever increasing views.
Coir a`Ghrunnda was quite awesome - i initially lost the route and went up a bit too close to the middle of the coire over the huge plates of stone , i had to correct and move much further left to miss out too much scrambling that was difficult for Oskar - and he`s done approx 150 Munros now, Reaching the lochan was a relief and very magical , moving round to my R/H side i climbed up through the quite massive boulder field and to the R/H side of Caisteal a`G-c. Here after the difficulties became apparent - Oskar was very unhappy indeed.......... after am attempt up to Sg D Da Bh i gave up - realising Sg D Mor wouldn`t happen - Oskar was scared. So down now up and along to Sg nan Eag. This was quite good fun - i firstly met a Guide with a couple , then 2 groups - all were very surprised to see a dog on the ridge.
Lesson learned no dogs up here - coming back down the same way i met 5 Irish guys who were all hoping to do the entire ridge if time held out............. A nice hill , an enjoyable day - i now know what the Cullin holds - & no dogs.Please.
As per usual fotos on TH via FB.
steven65
Mountain Walker

Munros:262   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland