walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Alder and Bheoil, the alternative route !

Ben Alder and Bheoil, the alternative route !

Postby spiderwebb » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:17 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Bheoil, Ben Alder

Date walked: 27/06/2015

Time taken: 14 hours

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had looked at these two over many months, big hill day, but given the long summer days now was the time. More so given I had picked a route to tackle them from Moy Bridge on the Laggan road.
In the end although I had packed ready I didn’t make the decision until I went to bed and then set my alarm for 0330hrs.
I didn’t exactly get off to a flying start, I think I was calmly believing I had all day and it should be plenty.
I pulled in at Aviemore for my usual Costa fix and breakfast and stopped a couple of times on route to be a tourist and plish off the aforementioned coffee

WH1.jpg

WH2.jpg

WH3.jpg

Started at 0700hrs and the good track had me pass Luibeg ruins and onto the river crossing before the ascent part way up and around Meall Nathrach.
Beyond Luibeg.

WH4.jpg

The acsent is marked in a few spots by posts and small cairns, and once a bit of height is gained it turns the corner and heads fairly level all the way to my target bealach between Aonach beag and Beinn Eibhinn.

WH5.jpg

The bealach ahead

WH6.jpg

Once reached Ben Alder appears for the first tme, my route straight down to the Bealach Dubh and up the other side seen here.

WH7.jpg

A fair pull up these slopes but no worse than the usual route, the height must be gained.
Eventually arriving on Ben Alders summit plateau with a stroll to the distant summit just seen peeking out.

WH8.jpg

The summit appeared then disappeared as the cloud rolled in and out and I arrived at the summit with no views, but before I had made myself comfy in the wind shelter it lifted.

WH9.jpg

View back to my way in, the bealach

WH10.jpg

I was joined at the summit by Bill, who asked how far I was in my munro quest. I told him I was down to the last few now, and he replied telling me he was on his third round with 50 to go….that sorted me out.
We continued together around Alders corrie rim and onto Bheoil.

WH11.jpg

Alder summit and the view down to Culra.

WH12.jpg

My original plan was to retrace my steps but after seeing the descent to Bheoil I came up with an alternative.
Bill leads us down.

WH13.jpg

Bheoil from the bealach

WH14.jpg

On the summit of Bheoil I confirmed my change of plans to Bill. I would head down to Culra and Loch Pattack and round the corner to come up the pass between Beinn a Chlachair and Geal Charn.
View of the new route out with Carn Dearg in front and Geal Charn beyond !

WH15.jpg

The descent from Bheoil was made along its crest and dropping off left before the ridge ends to avoid the boulders on its northern slopes.
I parted company with Bill and reached the bothy and bridge as he just past me on his bike back via the usual route.

WH16.jpg

The walk out via Loch pattack and on up to the high pass was on good tracks, and soon I was at the head of the pass, the path still covered in snow in parts.

WH17.jpg

The last time I was here the path was not visible at all and we ended up on the steep sided flanks, in snow up to out knees/waist threatening to slip us off into the loch below….jeez
The top was reached and it was good to see Creag Pitridh beyond, knowing I now had a good track albeit long, all the way out and past the beach at Lochan Na H Earba.

WH18.jpg

I started at 0700hrs and reached my car at 2115, over 14 hours ! For anyone interested in the times…
Base of Alder reached at 1130
Alder summit 1320
Bheoil summit 1545
Culra 1730
Bealch between Beinn a Chlachair and Geal Charn 1945.
It was a rewarding day to say the least, I had traversed one line of hills to reach beyond to the two targets, rounded 4 other Munros and passed two more on the way out. But this is the time of year to be getting out for longer, the corner has already turned after midsummers day. I could quite easily have gone straight to sleep on arrival back at the car but a couple of hours drive awaited before shower and bed….and the legs still worked this morning.
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Re: Ben Alder and Bheoil, the alternative route !

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:54 pm

Good effort spiderwebb - that looked like a tough day but as you say, now is the time for this length of walk.

Any idea what mileage you covered??
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby spiderwebb » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:29 pm

Thank you Gordie12, quick glance reckon 22 maybe 23 miles.
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Postby simon-b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:57 pm

That's a big route. When I saw the title I thought you might have started from near Loch Rannoch. 14 hours 15 is a long day, but still an impressive time for that walk.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby ancancha » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:30 pm

Still a lot of snow :!:
Great photo of the beach :lol:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby dav2930 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:40 pm

Ooph that's a long way in a single day! Great stuff. Amazing how much snow is left up there in late June - incredible that the path above Loch a' Bhealaich Leamhain was (still is?) banked over. Did these two back in March 2009, cycling down Loch Ericht and staying at Culra Bothy; was nearly blown into space on Beinn Bheoil. Enjoyed your report. :D
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Beaner001 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:47 pm

Aye Dave, a nice wee lesson on how to make a hill walk harder and still come out on top :lol:
Well done pal :clap:
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby spiderwebb » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:00 pm

simon-b wrote:That's a big route. When I saw the title I thought you might have started from near Loch Rannoch. 14 hours 15 is a long day, but still an impressive time for that walk.

thanks I'm curious as to how long it would have taken returning the same way, I may have to go back and try it :lol:

ancancha wrote:Still a lot of snow :!:
Great photo of the beach :lol:

Nice seeing the beach, nearly got wet feet crossing the bridge last visit but one :D

dav2930 wrote:Ooph that's a long way in a single day! Great stuff. Amazing how much snow is left up there in late June - incredible that the path above Loch a' Bhealaich Leamhain was (still is?) banked over. Did these two back in March 2009, cycling down Loch Ericht and staying at Culra Bothy; was nearly blown into space on Beinn Bheoil. Enjoyed your report. :D

:lol: :lol: I can empathise with that, Geal Charn tried its best with the wind when I reached the summit

Beaner001 wrote:Aye Dave, a nice wee lesson on how to make a hill walk harder and still come out on top :lol:
Well done pal :clap:

Cheers, I don't do things by halves :lol:
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Postby lochlaggan » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:07 pm

Yep this is one of the better ways to climb Ben Alder. :clap: :clap: :clap:
lochlaggan
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:212
Fionas:4   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   
Islands:11

Postby spiderwebb » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:39 pm

lochlaggan wrote:Yep this is one of the better ways to climb Ben Alder. :clap: :clap: :clap:

It certainly is, was a great day, one to look back on :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland