walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lochnagar

Lochnagar

Postby Nellydean » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:27 pm

Munros included on this walk: Lochnagar

Date walked: 20/06/2010

Time taken: 7 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Set off only to walk around Loch Muick, but Alistair suggested exploring a bit of the path up to Lochnagar to see if it would be possible to make a future walk easier by taking the bikes some of the way in, but the weather was looking good so we just kept going. By the time we got to the top of the boulder field I was ready to give up but I was pursuaded to keep going and my own ignorance and grit determination kept me plodding onwards towards the top, I had made it that far. 3 & 3/4 hours saw us reach the summit. Had a quick bite to eat then set off back down Glas Alt direction becuase it looked like a path that would be easier on the knees to get back down. The waterfall was spectacular and will definetely head back up with the big camera to get some better photos but will have to let my knees recover first. Hurt like hell by the time we got back to the car and it took some real sole searching to make my feet do the last 3 miles but I am so glad we did it and that I didnt allow myself to give up and the weather really was so kind to us 15 deg c and no winds at the top, couldnt have asked for better. Saw several stags up the valley sides on the way back down. Cant wait to do the next one, feel so alive and privilidged to live in such spectacular surroundings.
Nellydean

Munros:116   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:33   
Islands:26

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland