walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Ime and Beinn Narnain

Beinn Ime and Beinn Narnain

Postby PMATHESON89023 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:37 pm

Route description: Beinn Narnain and Beinn Ìme

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ìme, Beinn Narnain

Date walked: 03/07/2015

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 13.5 km

Ascent: 1325m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

On the way down to Campbeltown to visit granny for the weekend. Glorious day. Wife dropped me off and went to explore Loch Lomond side with the kids. Looking forward to doing this kind of thing as a family one day...

Followed the walkhighland guide back to front. I wanted to make good time and so couldn't be bothered faffing about trying to find the path up Narnain, so just stuck to the nice footpath up the glen and went to Beinn Ime first.

One of the first words you learn in Gaelic in school is im (butter) for some reason, so even rubbish gaelic speakers like me know that one. The obvious connection to Beinn Ime is dairy cows which must have grazed up here. Having been up it, I can officially throw that theory out as rubbish, Beinn Ime is actually so called because it is made of butter, or at least it feels like it. If a boggier hillside exists you can keep it for yourself. I was continuously slipping trying not to fall on my toin (another commonly remembered Gaelic word). Nice views from the top, and I enjoyed the wee stone cairn/house at the top, but was mostly scunnered at the bogginess.

Wasn't sure whether to come back via Beinn Narnain or to head straight back to the family, but I'm glad I did go back the longer way.

Beinn Narnain was amazing, really enjoyable approach from the north, a lovely rocky plateau leading to a dramatic cliff top summit, and a fun scrambly path down with great views of the Cobbler and Ben Lomond. I met some poor souls slogging it up the slope. Definitely the wrong way up this hill.

Next time I'll replace Beinn Ime with the Cobbler and come back down via Beinn Narnain. With the family of course.
Last edited by PMATHESON89023 on Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PMATHESON89023

Munros:73   Corbetts:16
Fionas:11   

Re: Beinn Ime and Beinn Narnain

Postby katyhills » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:31 pm

I'd have to disagree with you about Narnain! Having done it from various directions, going up via The Spearhead is a much better route. :)
It's always boggy but, then again, that's the west of Scotland for you! Challum's much worse :(
katyhills
Walker

Munros:120   Corbetts:28
Fionas:7   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:3   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland