walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Back on the Munro Trail - Destination Achnashellach!!

Back on the Munro Trail - Destination Achnashellach!!

Postby dooterbang » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:10 pm

Date walked: 10/09/2015

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 1600m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Whilst the NW Coast of Scotland was enjoying a renaissance of sunshine I had been stuck in bed for eight days ill! My early September plan had been to head up North and walk/climb many new Munros, Inverlael & Mullardoch etc, however that was now defunct!

When checking the weather I noticed this renaissance was about to end! Just two more days of sunshine forecast, albeit with very high winds. I couldn’t bear reading all these wonderful reports, coupled with stunning photos, so I quickly hatched a plan to head North :D

Decided to head for Beinn Liath Mhor & Sgurr Ruadh, starting from Achnashellac. This walk provided varied route options, I could add in a third Munro the following day and perhaps some Corbetts. Was up till 3am getting gear together (forgot my poles), hardly slept! Left Glasgow 9.30am, walking for 2.30pm. The sun was indeed shining... :D

Cross the railway line and enter into the Coulin Forrest – Instantly amazed at the bulk of Fuar Tholl :)

A brilliant forrest walk leads into the expansive surroundings with BLM (right) & SR (left) the backdrop.

Due to time, and possible fitness issues, I headed straight up to the Bealach rather than take on the BLM ridge. The ridge did look spectacular, I'll come back one day and do you :wink:

Got to the bealach. Ditched the rucksack at the lovely Lochan. Only a million rocks and 300m to BLM summit!

Great views to the Torridon Giants.

Finally reached the summit 8) . SR ridge/summit from BLM summit

Took in the views, a few photos, and made my way back to the lochan.

Time was now pushing on, I was feeling knackered!! Started ascending SR instantly as wanted to set up camp before sunset.

Views back down to river Lair and the Coulin forrest.

Eventually reached the summit of SR. It was extremely windy so didn't hang around much and quickly started descending its SE ridge. I'd decided to camp near Loch a Bhealach Moir.

View to Moal Chean dearg from SR summit.

The sun was now setting, the light illuminating Fuar Tholl. It looked majestic...

and me, adding nothing to the landscape :lol:

And the light began to fade, the temperature plummeting...

After what seemed like hours I finally decided on a spot and pitched the mobile accomodation. I was tired, I was hungry!

The digs.

Went looking for my food only to realize I'd forgotten my cheezy pasta - gutted :( ! So I'd left my poles, didn't bring the GPS watch, and had forgotten food. I was starting to question my mind at this point :crazy: I ate my last sarnie and a kitkat (four fingers), all washed down with a can of Irn Bru. Incredible moments yet again :lol:

Had a last look outside, was dark now.

As usual when camping I hardly slept. The wind did rattle the tent all night, but even then I think I just don't have the knack of switching off. Thoughts off mutant sheep attacking me, like last time camping, had subsided. They'd been replaced with some congo drums and chanting. I started thinking about King kong :shock:

I was glad when the light appeared outside. The sun was belting off MCD across the way.

With 3hrs sleep in two days, no food, no watch, no poles, and a wind that would seriously tear the toupe from yer napper, I'd decided that today I was climbing no mountains. I was actually still up a mountain but thats just minor detail. This morning I would merely wander aimlessly around the many lochans at the bealach :)

This motley crue looked bewildered, but I think they couldn't believe I was taking it easy :lol:

The new rucksack I tried out, Salomon Sky 38L. Been wearing Salomon trails for years in the mountains and love them, wondered if othe gear matched the footwear. Felt fine, but maybe require a slightly bigger one for the camping. Opening from the side was very handy, as was the hip belt pockets. Will make a great winter pack.

Waterfall

Myself, staring down the BLM ridge.

Took my time wandering back to the car...

Finally reached the forrest and enjoyed the walk out.

Mesmerising area, one I'm looking forward to visiting again soon. Hopefully I'll be better prepared :roll: :lol: 8)

And so I jumped into the car and drove 4.5hrs back to Glasgow. It was lashing of rain the next morning...glad I managed out, phew :wink:
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Re: Back on the Munro Trail - Destination Achnashellach!!

Postby Petr Dakota » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:20 pm

Great photos :clap: :clap: :clap: I love the area 8)
Glad you got it in the right time by the weather :D
So you are catching the darkness at evenings and I'm catching the mornings :wink: :lol:
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:247   Corbetts:28
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:12   Islands:1

Postby PeteR » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:39 pm

An other superb report and photos :clap: These two are really great hills, offering up great views. You certainly got the day for it too :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Gordie12 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:16 pm

That looked brilliant.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby Collaciotach » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:16 am

Good to see you back on the trail a' bhalaich and a fine choice of hills :clap: :clap: :clap:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby Silverhill » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:14 pm

Great photos and what a spot for your tent! 8) You seem to be enjoying wild camping, judging by the number of times you have pitched up this year.
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby malky_c » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:09 pm

Some of my favourite local(ish) hills - been up these at least 4 times each 8) . Never camped up there though- looks like a fine night out. Was this Thursday and Friday? I was camped out on Wednesday night just a few miles east. I think you got a better sunset than i did the night before.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby ancancha » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:22 am

Some nice photos :clap:
I've yet to do wild camping, but wonder how I will get on with the sleeping bit and the wildlife :roll:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby dooterbang » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:29 pm

Silverhill wrote:Great photos and what a spot for your tent! 8) You seem to be enjoying wild camping, judging by the number of times you have pitched up this year.
I don't enjoy that I can't sleep, or that I feel uncomfotable on my neo air thermarest, but I do love the fact that it opens up a whole different experience on the hills. Sleeping pills and a wider ultralight mat will see my ok :lol:

malky_c wrote:Some of my favourite local(ish) hills - been up these at least 4 times each 8) . Never camped up there though- looks like a fine night out. Was this Thursday and Friday? I was camped out on Wednesday night just a few miles east. I think you got a better sunset than i did the night before.
Way better than my local hills :shock: :lol: . Yeah, had read your report before heading North. Maybe one day these will also be my local hills :wink:

Thanks everyone for the positive comments :)

Paul.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby weaselmaster » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:14 pm

Big hills to venture out on after a week ill in bed, Paul - great pictures again.
I've never slept out high in Torridon/Achnashellach- I've added that to my list of "to do's" :lol:
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:197   Donalds:75+31
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby simon-b » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:49 pm

Another stunning spot to camp, Paul. I thoroughly enjoyed the Munros in this area. The Corbetts there look like a great reason to go back, as well.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby dogplodder » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:36 pm

As always great photos..... but felt gutted for you about the cheese pasta. 8)
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby rockhopper » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:42 am

Nice to see you back on the munros - good result too - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby railton22 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:10 pm

Great report and top photos. :clap: :clap: :clap: Did these a while back, great mountains. Looks like you had cracking weather too. Total respect to you for the wild camping...I'm much too wussy to do that!
railton22
Mountaineer

Munros:186   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:10   

Postby Mal Grey » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:37 pm

What an excellent way to enjoy two of my favourite hills. Fuar Tholl is just as good, possibly even better, and neglected in comparison. Shame about forgetting the food! Those deer must have looked tasty... :wink:
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland