walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

September weekend Ben More Coigach

September weekend Ben More Coigach

Postby tibo » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:08 pm

Route description: Ben Mór Coigach and Sgùrr an Fhìdhleir

Fionas included on this walk: Ben Mór Coigach, Sgùrr an Fhidhleir

Date walked: 27/09/2015

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 10.5 km

Ascent: 870m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We have been come here pretty much every year for the past 8 years. However this was the first ever time without any of the kids :? A shade of sadness about that but much more excitement of the activities that were going to be done without all the whingeing , moaning and hard Paddington stares that come with my 3 :lol:

Kate/Kieran/Sarah/Gordon and I decide from an appealing choice of walks in the area. However thanks to Dooterbangs incredibly inspiring walk/blog the hands down winner was Ben More Coigach tagging on Sgurr an Fhidleir. Wow what an absolutely awe inspiring day!

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We start of as per directions but get off track every now and then. Then finding the path again. Not the sunniest of days but its cool and dry and the clouds are beautiful.

thumb_IMG_3951_1024.jpg

Getting to the foot of the intimidating Garbh Coireachan we scramble up haphazardly not quite knowing where we should be going. Correctly assuming we are missing the recommended route as we are not on any particular path but finding towards the top the route is a little dodgy! :shock:

thumb_IMG_3959_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_3964_1024.jpg

After a bit of difficulty :crazy: we find the airy sandstone ridge! - missed the beginning of it as we have been walking parallel to it at a lower level :roll:

However OMFG (pardon my french!) the views at this point are just so unbelievably amazing! :shock: :D

thumb_IMG_3966_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_3968_1024.jpg

Wonderful views of Loch Broom and Ullapool- trying to orientate myself, not my forte! :shifty:
thumb_IMG_4001_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_4003_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_4010_1024.jpg

I admit at times i am a little out of my comfort zone in areas where I feel its too sheer a drop on either side of me, embarrassingly I am crouching down close to the ground. Just about avoiding crawling along on my knees :lol: Not caring too much about this as I am absolutely loving the views. This must be one of the best walks I have ever done!

thumb_IMG_4008_1024.jpg

We head towards Ben More Coigach and take in the stunning sheer drop of Sgurr an Fhidhleir on one side.

thumb_IMG_4013_1024.jpg

Closing into the summit of Sgurr an Fhidhleir is the spectacular row upon row of iconic Assynt mountains and the Summer Isles views.

thumb_IMG_4022_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_4025_1024.jpg

All happy having accomplished a fabulous day out witnessing some treasured views this country has, we trail back to the car and house for a well earned bevy and dinner. :clap: :D

thumb_IMG_4026_1024.jpg
tibo
Bird-watcher

Re: September weekend Ben More Coigach

Postby dooterbang » Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:12 pm

It still looks amazing :D

Glad you managed to get up here and do this walk, it really is a belter.

You must still be buzzing 8)
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Re: September weekend Ben More Coigach

Postby dogplodder » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:06 pm

That looked like fun and views are stunning. :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland