walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Loch Ness sunset from Tom Bailgeann

Loch Ness sunset from Tom Bailgeann

Postby malky_c » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:26 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Tom Bailgeann

Date walked: 01/10/2015

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 39 km

Ascent: 730m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Sub 2k Marilyns: Tom Bailgeann.
Date: 01/10/2015.
Distance: 36km (cycling), 3km (walking).
Ascent: 500m (cycling), 230m (walking).
Time taken: 3 hours.
Weather: Warm and breezy.

I knew I should've taken the day off to go up some proper hills somewhere, but I couldn't. Instead I compromised and went out on the bike after work, culminating in a short ascent of Tom Bailgeann. The weather was fine, and I wished I'd left work 30 minutes earlier.

Loch Ness cycle.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Tom Bailgeann.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I pedalled down to Dores in about 40 minutes and went down to the beach quickly for some photos. With more time I'd have stopped for a pint, but it would be dark before I got to my hill if I'd done that this evening.

Loch Ness from Dores:

Then it was the long slow climb up above Dores, which always slows me right down. Once over the hump, it was a quick descent down past Achnabat and to the start of my walk.

Climbing up the hill towards Loch Duntelchaig:

I had settled on Tom Bailgeann as there is a reasonable track up it, making it easier to come back down in the dark. The evening was almost cloudless, which made the skies away from the west less spectacular than on previous nights.

On foot now at the bottom of Tom Bailgeann:

20 minutes later I was on the summit with the last glow of sunset to the west. Stunning and well worth a stop. I could see all the way from the Loch Lochy hills up to Glen Affric, Sgurr na Lapaich, Strathfarrar, Beinn Dearg and finally Ben Wyvis.

Looking back to Loch Duntelchaig:

Out west:

…and southwest to Drumnadrochit:

Summit mast:

Then it was time to descend. I managed to temporarily misplace myself taking a shortcut, but ended up above a steep craggy gully. I reversed my route and got back on the track again - much safer in the dark!

Then onto the bike for a pleasant cycle home. Although dark, it was pleasantly warm and calm and the stars were out. Almost as good as the 'proper' hills I'd wanted to do :D .
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Re: Loch Ness sunset from Tom Bailgeann

Postby rockhopper » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:59 pm

Great result for an after work trip - like you, wish I could also have got away over the last few days - weather probably going to break down now :roll: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Featherglen » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:19 pm

Lovely pics, we were up there a week ago and had fantastic views, really enjoying the amazing weather. :)
Featherglen
Hill Bagger

Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Collaciotach » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:35 pm

Chance taken a bhallaich :clap: :clap: :clap:

Weather has been stunning but aye...... working as well :(
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby dooterbang » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:02 pm

Also missed most of the fab weather...crap!! Nice views you got there :)
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby Sunset tripper » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:02 am

A good trip that Malky. That cycle up the hill on the road out of Dores is a killer (for me anyway :( ) Ive taken the bike to the top of that hill a couple of times. Pushing mostly on the argo track which was mega boggy near the top it may be better now. I prefer to do your route in reverse cycling up the Essich Brae and descending into Dores for a couple of beers after most of the hard work's done. There's a lot of good hills worth a visit on the south side especially a couple that don't make any list and rarely visited.
BTW great sunset pics :D
Sunset tripper

Postby scottishkennyg » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:05 pm

Superb colours in the sky there Malky, and as you say it is great to be able to get out for even a short time to enjoy some of the nice weather. Cheers Kenny
scottishkennyg

Munros:282   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland