walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Fleetwith Pike & Haystacks

Fleetwith Pike & Haystacks

Postby made in Scotland » Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:15 am

Wainwrights included on this walk: Fleetwith Pike, Haystacks

Hewitts included on this walk: Fleetwith Pike

Date walked: 11/09/2015

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The weather forecast fooled us into thinking it wasn't going to be windy so we parked at Gatesgarth Farm parking and decided on the direct route up Fleetwith Pike. It looks steep from the bottom - and indeed it was! Head directly towards the white cross and you will find the path. It was quite well hidden by the bracken at the beginning.
Fleetwith Pike from just beside the car park.
Fleetwith Pike and Haystacks Aug15 002.JPG
Stopping for a break and a picture of Buttermere behind us.
Fleetwith Pike and Haystacks Aug15 005.JPG
Looking across to Haystacks - where we went to later on.
Fleetwith Pike and Haystacks Aug15 010.JPG
There are some smooth grassy bits and some quite rocky bits on the way up but easy to follow the path and the views are good.
Fleetwith Pike and Haystacks Aug15 019.JPG
After the final steep section, and thinking we were at at the top about 3 times before we actually were, we reached the summit.
Fleetwith Pike and Haystacks Aug15 023.JPG
Then it was off towards Honister and down through the quarry. We met a guy hiding in the quarry with a what seemed to be a gun but he quickly re-assured us that it was a game of laser tag or some such thing that was going on. Any way after meeting about 10 more similarly equipped people we got out of their way pretty quickly! So - onwards past the two Tarns, which were looking pretty today.
Fleetwith Pike and Haystacks Aug15 046.JPG
Fleetwith Pike and Haystacks Aug15 048.JPG
Then it was up to the top of Haystacks where the wind was howling like we'd entered another world. Made it to the cairns but couldn't stand up properly! We didn't hang around and moved down to the tarn area - still pretty breezy but at least we could stand upright.
Fleetwith Pike and Haystacks Aug15 056.JPG
After slowly making our way down the rocky section at the top we dropped down out of the wind and back down to the edge of Buttermere.
Fleetwith Pike and Haystacks Aug15 059.JPG
Last time I walked down here some of these fields were covered in bluebells, but today it's thick bracken. Too windy to stop and eat on Haystacks so having carried the food all the way around most of it was eaten in the car! Enjoyed the walk - the route up Fleetwith Pike is quite steep - I wouldn't fancy coming down that way - would be pretty harsh on the knees!
made in Scotland
Mountaineer

Munros:1   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:80
Wainwrights:140   

Re: Fleetwith Pike & Haystacks

Postby thefallwalker » Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:28 am

interesting report as i am thinking of doing the same kind of route with my daughter in a couple of weeks, is it a suitable way up for a 14 yr old? she has done a couple of walks but now wants to get started on some of the bigger 1's!
cheers
thefallwalker
Mountaineer

Hewitts:115
Wainwrights:214   

Postby ChrisW » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:38 pm

Great report MIS, I laughed when you said you thought you were at the top 3 times.....I really hate that....it's so damn sickening to make a top only to look ahead and see another :lol:
having carried the food all the way around most of it was eaten in the car!

I know this feeling well after my last hike :roll: Lovely shots of the heather in the foreground too :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby dav2930 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:03 am

Nice walk that with very fine views. The ascent up the NW ridge of Fleetwith is steep but satisfying isn't it? The false summits are the downside of the level bits, which at least provide welcome respite from the uphill effort which would otherwise be unrelenting! Hard to think of it like that at the time though. :?

Shame it was too windy to eat your packed lunches on Haystacks; I think I'd have been inclined to bin them and go in the Bridge Inn for a proper lunch! :lol:
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby made in Scotland » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:31 pm

thefallwalker wrote:interesting report as i am thinking of doing the same kind of route with my daughter in a couple of weeks, is it a suitable way up for a 14 yr old? she has done a couple of walks but now wants to get started on some of the bigger 1's!
cheers

Yes, I think it would be fine for a 14 year old, it's quite steep but there's nowhere where you actually feel as though you would fall off it! It actually has quite a bit of variety which makes it more fun. You really feel as though you're on top of something when you reach the summit due to the view straight down to Buttermere, you can see what you've climbed.

Thanks ChrisW - Ah yes - I see you carried your food a long way looking for somewhere to eat it too. Your pictures from Canada always look amazing - it just looks so crisp and clean somehow! Just like to get a bit of heather in the foreground to prove to the rest of my family in Scotland that we have heather down here too! They think the Lake District is full of "little knolls" when they see my pictures, which I suppose they are, compared to Scotland and certainly to Canada!

dav2930 wrote: Shame it was too windy to eat your packed lunches on Haystacks; I think I'd have been inclined to bin them and go in the Bridge Inn for a proper lunch! :lol:

Yes, you're right about the ridge, there's just enough easy bits to make up for the steep bits and the fact that you can't see the top ahead of you makes it less daunting - straight up would be a bit of a slog!

You're probably right about the squashed sarnies as well! Why didn't I think of that? I'll bear your advice in mind for next time though.
made in Scotland
Mountaineer

Munros:1   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:80
Wainwrights:140   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland