walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

And then there was one .... mo chreach !

And then there was one .... mo chreach !

Postby Collaciotach » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:28 pm

Munros included on this walk: Luinne Bheinn, Meall Buidhe (Knoydart)

Date walked: 05/10/2015

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 27 km

Ascent: 1586m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Uill uill tha sin gu bhith deisel :crazy: ....

It has been a busy last few weeks with a late Summer allowing me to bag Sgurr a Ghreadaidh , Sgurr a Madhaidh and Liathaich in early September in glorious conditions which left me only three summits to crack this Munro malarky ! .

A last good day / wee window at the end of a weeks high pressure saw Sunday looking good for Luinne Bheinn and Meall Bhuidhe in Cnòideart ,so i packed the overnighter and a quick shift up to Mallaig for the Sunday ferry at 10.30am.

Before i go on ...... can you knock this "loony bin" nonsense on the head ? . The pronunciation is "Luinya Bheinn" with an almost silent "y" and the emphasis on the last word , Bheinn ..... pronounced " Ven" with a long "e". It bears no resemblence to "loony bin" , so do me a favour and show the indigenous language some respect please , if you can't pronounce , do your best , but don't demean the Gaelic tongue with bastardised and invariably poor english ...moran taing .

Anyway i was saying ...

IMG_6196.JPG
Air a chuan

A promising day and a fine service which see you to Inverie in under a half hour

We landed and headed off immediately , i have spent quite a few drunken visits to the Old Forge over the years on various ceilidh cruises so this time gave her a miss , anyway i hear the current owner is no much good ....

Off up past Tòrr a Bhalbhain with its "memorial" to the foreign carpetbagger / nazi british fascist , never went up but i sure hope any reference to him has been removed .... good views to our first target Meall Bhuidhe

IMG_6197.JPG
Meall Bhuidhe

So engrossed in cursing Brocket's memorial i managed to walk past the turn point to Gleann Meadail :? , ended up cutting across the bog-fluich and the face of the Druim to catch the path just past the bòthan .

From there a quick shift up the flank and onto the lower druim

IMG_6198.JPG
An Druim agus Loch Nèibheis

We made short work of this soon hitting the Bealach an Tuirc choire

IMG_6199.JPG
Air cùil

'Se latha breagha a bha ann .... a grand day very Autumnal and i was already mulling over where to pitch for the night , forecast was for increasing winds SE so already i was aiming to reach the Mam Barrisdale for about seven o clock .

IMG_6200.JPG
An Druim a ribhist

Sweated my way onto the summit with superb views all round but Labhar Bheinn was always catching the eye ..... àlainn

IMG_6201.JPG
An carn agus Labhar Bheinn

Spent 20 mins and then pushed on it was only 2.15pm and having left at 11am ,no bad going i now thought i would definetly make it onto the Mam before dark .

A steep and rough trauchle over to Luinne Bheinn and the stags were fair roaring ,some grand colors on show with browns and yellows looking very like Autumn

IMG_6202.JPG
Sgurr na Ciche

IMG_6204.JPG
Lochan

We were soon heading onto the Bealach Odhair and Luinne Bheinn in sight my penultimate ( i think :wink: )

IMG_6203.JPG
Luinne Bheinn

Filled up with water here and took the steep climb onto the East top ,not as heavy a climb as i reckoned it to be and great viewpoint

IMG_6206.JPG
Loch Sùbhairne

IMG_6207.JPG
A' Mhullach

IMG_6209.JPG
Mullach a ribhist

Had a well earned rest for half an hour as time now on my side was only 4.15pm :D

IMG_6210.JPG
An Cù

IMG_6211.JPG
Dathan

IMG_6212.JPG
An Tuath

Now decision time ..where to camp !!!!! in the end i decided to drop down to the Mam Barrisdale and take it from there ,great glow on the hills with the sun going down in the West ,no spectacular but atmospheric

IMG_6213.JPG
Luinne Bheinn

We made it down to the Mam in no time at all and pressed on toward the Loch an Dubh Lochain by the time we reached there.... i decided to walk a bit further ..... and a bit further , then decided that i'd make for the traigh fada (long beach) near Inverie.

Arrived at the shore for around 8.30pm and struck camp then a dram with dinner before turning in for the night . A great wee spot ,only us and the stags ,geese , lapping waves and a cool wind meant we slept all night with the tent fly zip opened to the stars .

Up at seven in the morning ..... lovely sunrise sky in the dawn light

IMG_6214.JPG
èirigh na greine air cùil Meall Bhuidhe

On my way to the 9am ferry i stopped to pay my repsects at the memorial cairn to the indigenous inhabitants of these shores

'S cùimhne leam eachdraidh an àite .... i know the history of this place and i will remember that story .

IMG_6215.JPG
I remember the history of this place

So ..sin agad e , one left and its Sgurr Mor on Loch Cuaich ,handy for me as its only an hours drive ....need to pick a route and a good day for the finale :D

Cheerie an drasda
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Re: And then there was one .... mo chreach !

Postby basscadet » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:34 pm

That looked brilliant, there is no finer place when the weather is good :D
Nice easy finisher I see? :lol:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby Sunset tripper » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:39 pm

Well done. Great pictures and a great place I camped near Meall Bhuidhe a few years ago. A five star wild camp.
Ive always wondered what the gaelic for diesel was, i wish i had known that when i was in Harris last year :D . Good luck and hope you get a good day for your last one.
Sunset tripper

Postby Beaner001 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:31 am

And then there was one :clap:
An cu has had a run in with your sheers eh? :lol:
I wish you all the best with your final Munro Colla
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby robertphillips » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:33 am

well done colla nearly there, left a guid 1 to the end. :clap: :clap:
robertphillips
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:423   Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   Islands:39

Postby rockhopper » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:41 pm

Nice one - good weather for these two makes all the difference :thumbup: All the best for #282 - cheers :)
rockhopper

Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby malky_c » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:45 am

Weather jackpot hit there :D . Despite a pleasant September, I have mostly picked the wrong days to be out on the hill.

I had heard similar about the new pub owner, but it seemed OK to me. Mind you, I don't have any local connections or previous knowledge to judge it against, so not the best person to say anything.
malky_c

Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby basscadet » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:02 pm

Oh well done - any ideas on what you are going to spend your voucher on? :clap:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby Alteknacker » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:24 pm

What a beautiful place when the weather's like that! Great report and great pics :clap: :clap: :clap:

It's looking at places like this that have made me decide I'd rather do ones like that multiple times than trudge up less characterful hills; so I guess I'll never get to a point where I'm anywhere near completion.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Scotjamie » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:22 pm

Enjoyed the TR very much, enjoyed the photos very much, and enjoyed the pronunciation rant very very much :clap: . Best of luck for your final Munro.
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby LeithySuburbs » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:46 pm

Looks a cracking day :) .

Collaciotach wrote:Before i go on ...... can you knock this "loony bin" nonsense on the head ? . The pronunciation is "Luinya Bheinn" with an almost silent "y" and the emphasis on the last word , Bheinn ..... pronounced " Ven" with a long "e". It bears no resemblence to "loony bin" , so do me a favour and show the indigenous language some respect, please , if you can't pronounce , do your best , but don't demean the Gaelic tongue with bastardised and invariably poor english ...moran taing .

Oh sorry, I can't resist... from the construction of this paragraph, I would be very careful about dishing out any advice related to language :lol: :wink: .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby Susan J » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:32 pm

Beautiful, beautiful pictures. Good luck with no. 282.
Susan J
Mountaineer

Munros:36   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:103
Wainwrights:122   

Postby kevsbald » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:11 am

Well said re pronounciation. And good luck for the big peak.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby scottishkennyg » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:39 pm

A1 Colla..no inversions this outing? liked the image of an Cu on the edge...one more , hope you get a cracking day for it.. :clap:
scottishkennyg

Munros:282   

Postby dooterbang » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:39 pm

Finishing in some style young fella, awesome yet again :clap:

You'll love the 15k walk out from the last munro, plenty of time to reflect on an incredible journey.

Best wishes for the compleation :)
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland